Sunday, January 23, 2011

Nail Polish: Rimmel Lasting Finish Pro in "Steel Grey"

My manicure of the week.  It was actually last week's as well but I love this colour.


Greyish purples are irresistible to me.  I was checking out some Essie nail polish but decided to scope out the drugstores instead.  I had eyed this polish on the shelf many times before and thought it was very similar to OPI for Sephora's "Metro Chic."  And wouldn't you know it - indeed, it's an excellent dupe.


In person, there's a noticeable difference but it's not by much. Rimmel's "Steel Grey" is warmer and "Metro Chic" is cooler.  I think Rimmel was way off with the name of this polish as I detect more purple and brown than grey.  Anyway, I think it's a decent dupe for "Metro Chic."  I'm not going to do a full comparison of this with the other purples, as I already posted a comparison of the purples in the past.  Recall this:


Metro Chic was the lightest of all the purples.  If you're thinking of a comparison with Essie's "Smokin' Hot", "Smokin' Hot" is much darker and much cooler than both "Steel Grey" and "Metro Chic."

For a $2.99 nail polish (when it's on sale), "Steel Grey" is an excellent alternative for lovers of purplish greyish shades.

This week I also got a new top coat to replace the China Glaze one that was messing up my manicures as it had grown thick and tacky in the bottle.  This Sally Hansen Complete Care claims to act as base coat, ridge filler, nourisher and top coat, but I've used it only as top coat and so far so good.  I also found the Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream that some people were raving about recently.  Winter is a long and harsh season here, so it's nice to retire at the end of the day and pamper your skin.  I like the refreshing lemon scent and the very soft waxy feel of the product.  It sort of melts into the skin as you work it in.  I'm going to give away the SpaRitual cuticle oil I don't like the smell of and replace it with this.


The nail polish and top coat were on sale at Rexall, which I find to be much cheaper than Shoppers Drug Mart on a regular basis.  As for the Burt's Bees cuticle cream, I found a whole buch of them at Winners for half the price of the ones in the drugstores.  This one goes down as the cheapest splurge in recent history. Feels good!

7 comments:

  1. Love the colour of Steel Grey, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a big fan of the murky colors. I think I actually have the Steel Grey shade but have never actually worn it :/ I should really make a point to not buy new polish until I've actually worn all the ones I already own. I think I'll make this the next on my list to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good idea. Yeah, for someone trying to reduce the stash, I'm not very good at it, either! I don't want to start gathering dupes of things I already own. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really nice! :) & Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Steel Gray! I picked it up when looking for a "greige" color and have used it quite a few times in the couple of months I've had it. Ulta makes a polish that is practically the same color.

    http://talkfastandpretty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.