Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Procrastinating and Cleaning

It's essay season, so of course I have to procrastinate by writing another blog post.

I had a false alarm with a loose powder the other day. I thought it had expired because there was a strange smell, but it turned out that my kabuki brush just needed a good shampooing. (Gross, I know. I don't like to wash the kabuki too much because it's so easy to dunk the entire thing in water and ruin it. Let this be a lesson to all.) I do use the Sephora Collection Daily Brush Cleaner spray often, but it still led to this state. Perhaps an examination of the spray cleaner is in order... hmmm.

Anyway, it got me thinking that I needed a revisit to some of my products and make the use of the older items before they go to waste. This is not a "Project 10 Pan" because my entire blog is basically a huge project. (Project 10000 Pan - I dieeeeeeee!) I just want to be reminded and make a commitment to finish up a few things, being the good reductionista that I am. (Which I haven't been, so I need to up my game as well.)


#1 in the race to the trash bin is the L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tube Mascara, which is the second or third best mascara that I have ever tried. My puny lashes love the tubes. No smudging, no streaking, no flaking - just ever so slightly clumpy at first, but weirdly this mascara gets better with time. I just may go out and buy this again some day when I'm finished the other mascaras in the line up. Previously loved mascaras include YSL Faux Cils, Hourglass Superficial Lash and Imju Fiberwig. Just realizing now that all three are quite expensive, so this L'Oreal mascara is looking better and better.

#2 is the trusty little Rosebud Salve. I've discussed it in detail twice already. Love it, hate that the price keeps rising, good thing I have a back up in my desk drawer (oops, how did that get there?) I'm not really in a hurry to finish this so much as I need to finish it in order to finish the other lip balms that I dabbed into and ignored.

Smith's Rosebud Salve (left)
Stila Convertible Color in Peony (right)

#3 is Stila Convertible Color in Peony. I haven't made much progress with it because it only serves as a blush and isn't very convertible for me. I'm a blush philanderer and find it hard to use the same one for more than a week at a time. I've had this for a while now, so I need to hurry!

#4 is CoverFX Skinprep. It was my second time using it and unfortunately I can only use it in the winter when my skin isn't being crazy. Sometimes I'll apply this in the place of a moisturizer and achieve good result. I don't like to use it as a primer often but it's a great multi-tasking product that will act as a serum and primer (normal-oily types can wear it solo; dry types can layer this over a moisturizer). I don't want it to sit and rot in my stash over the summer, so I'll try to finish this before the weather gets really hot.

#5 is all the lip glosses (NARS "Dolce Vita", MAC Lip Gelee "Moistly", Lancome Juicy Tubes "Spring Fling", Sephora Collection "Bronzed Beauty"). They're all at various stages, the most full being only half full and the closest to being finished being the NARS. Is it just me or do NARS glosses run out really fast? I apply it sparingly as a result but that just makes me feel like I'm not getting my money's worth out of it.

#6 is the Sephora Collection Smoothing Primer. Being baby size, it shouldn't take me much longer to finish it. I've been avoiding it during the winter, though, because it's mattifying and makes the dry patches in your skin more evident. Yeah, kind of the opposite of what a primer is supposed to do?

It's nice to have goals to look forward to accomplishing. Now that this is out of the way, I really need to get back to my American Lit essay.

Are you involved in a beauty project or goal? What was the last product you finished?

10 comments:

  1. My goal is to drastically reduce my stash - I sold quite a bit of stuff on the weekend, and I've thrown out a lot of "ew" stuff, so I'm on the way, but there's still way too much.

    I've been wearing makeup for nearly 30 years (I'm 43 this year) and I can't remember ever finishing a product other than foundation and concealer. Even with mascaras, I find they gluggy or flaky before they're actually "used up". That probably means I've had way too much for that whole time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your confession post - hilarious!

    I used to finish things all the time, and the urge to buy new things constantly became really bad only in the last 3-5 years. So this year is an experiment to see how much restraint I can exercise. It's not going that well, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have such vicarious guilt about buying anything now, nothing that I can't get over mind you :) I usually don't like many mascaras right when I open them, I somehow prefer when they dry out a bit. That Stila color looks beautiful, it doesn't work on your lips too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally finished my MAC MSF Natural! That thing seemed immortal I tell you-took me 2 years! I finish lip balms all the time, eyeliners, but because I'm a blush fiend, I've never finished a blush. I should really sell some of those blushes like Dee did so that they get some love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tracy D - I feel the same but the urge overwhelms the guilt way too often! Re: Stila Convertible - it washes out the colour from my lip and makes me look like a corpse. It's great as a blush, though!

    @Tracy - CONGRATS! Powders take forever. I've finally hit pan on my MUFE, though, yay! I'd love to see your blush collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Peony CC!!! But I'm with you and absolutely cannot use it as a lip color, but it's a perfect blush for me.
    I haven't finished any makeup in awhile, but I did finish up a shampoo and face wash the other day. Do those count?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know which CC would be good for lip AND blush? Poppy!

    And yes, shampoo and face wash totally count. Congratulations! What were they? *am nosey like that*

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shampoo was from David Babaii, and the face wash was some foaming stuff from Fusion Beauty that got discontinued. It was alright, but I wouldn't have purchased it again if I had the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seriously need to start thinking about doing some sort of a project 10 pan... or even a 1 pan! I don't really have any old stuff on my stash, it just have been growing exponentially since I started blogging and I need to get a grip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You might not want to read my next post then, LOL! It will REALLY add to the guilt trip, though that's not going to be the intention. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Commenting is open to any registered user.

In order to reduce spam, comments containing self-promotional links and URLs will not be approved. Also, comments for posts older than 10 days are moderated and will not appear on the page until they have been approved.