Wednesday, April 20, 2011

OPI Top Coat + OPI Drip Dry vs. Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat

Some time ago, I ditched my China Glaze top coat and repurchased the OPI Top Coat which I had used once and loved. I gave the CG top coat a fair chance but did not love it. The consistency became stickier and goopier as time went on, and once it hit the halfway mark, I did not want to spend any more time fussing with it, especially as nail polish change became a weekly (or tri-weekly) event.

Trade Secrets sells a combo pack of the OPI Top Coat with the OPI Drip Dry for $19.99, so I thought I'd save a few dollars by getting that instead of the individual products, which would have been closer to $25. I had also never used drying drops before, so I was eager to test it out.

WARNING: This duo package does NOT come with a dropper for the drying drop. (The one in the bottle is the one I replaced it with from another package, sigh.) It originally came with a flat cap with no dropper beneath or attached to it. There is no way to use the drying drop without a dropper, as pouring it straight from the bottle is just begging for trouble. I was pissed. The saleswomen or the box itself should have told me that. Maybe the box did, but I didn't read it too carefully. I purchased this based on my past experience with the OPI Top Coat.

Box not pictured.

Some weeks later when I saw the individual package of the OPI Drip Dry, I picked it up just for the dropper alone. It was too late for me to return the original packaging as I had tossed the box and receipt weeks before I actually tried the products. Stupid me, I will never do that again. I hate box-hoarding but sometimes it's wise to do so temporarily. But I mean, where would you buy a tiny little dropper just the size of this Drip Dry, anyway? (Seriously, leave a comment or message me if you know.)

Note: "FREE Dropper"! So generous of them. *eyeroll*

Having tried the Drip Dry at last, I was so pleased that it warranted a tweet. If I used to wait 30 minutes to an hour for my nails to dry, this shaved the time down by at least half or even more. Plus, using a dropper is so much fun. I don't really get to handle one except for the giant turkey baster come Thanksgiving. Not quite the same feel.

Dropper, yay! Flat cap lid, hisssss! boooo!

It takes one drop over the smaller nails and 2-3 drops over the thumbs. I raved about this to anyone who would listen, as if no one else had even heard of drying drops before.

But it wasn't long before my wandering eye caught the sight of a discounted Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat while I was out looking for waterproof flat shoes (not wellies). $7.99 at Winners, y'all. Having heard so much about it, my curiosity was aroused. Of course I should have tried it sooner, but sometimes the stubborn part of me resists a hyped product just for the sake of resisting. Plus I believe it costs more than other top coats, though, now as I know, it's for damn good reason.

Behold -- a miracle!

O.M.G. people. Why did it take me so long to try this? This is the ultimate time saver. It's a top coat and a speedy dryer. Why spend time taking two steps when you can take one? It's glossy, protectant and dries down in 10-15 minutes. Nothing more to say, except that it is THE BEST top coat ever. You can bet that I'll be going back for this, discounted price or not.

As for the OPI Top Coat and Drip Dry (which I now have TWO of), they'll be going into the swap pile. They're not bad products on their own, but they're not the best, and I'm especially irritated over the dropper business. I don't buy foundations or lotions that make you buy extra pumps (NARS, Clinique) and I don't like having been tricked into doing so with this Drip Dry. OPI, take note. All of your Drip Dry bottles need to come with a "free" dropper. You don't have to have a pump or special equipment to dole out foundation or lotion, but you certainly need one for an item called a "drip" or a "drop." Seriously, it's the least you can do.

Have you tried Seche Vite? Do it! Have you been tricked into buying products without the proper equipment needed to apply the product? Tell me!

32 comments:

  1. If you have a Sally Beauty near you I believe the Seche Vite is about $5 or $6 there. I find that with Seche my polish dries super fast but it chips all to hell the next day..especially tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know of any Sally Beauty around here... pretty sure there aren't any in the city. And my Seche Vite application is going on 4 days strong without a chip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe my bottle is faulty, perhaps I shall buy another and try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you work a lot with your hands, I don't really believe any top coat can prevent chipping. I do a lot of reading and typing with minimal labour, so... draw your own conclusions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried seche vite top and base coats. I don't find anything spectacular about the base coat, but the top coat is awesome. The only thing is once you get down the bottle it gets really thick and almost unusable.
    I've used the OPI and Zoya drying drops, I like them but I don't know if they speed up the already speedy seche vite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! I picked one up after you tweeted they were there, but I haven't tried it yet. My nails all broke off when I was doing that junk hauling from my mother-in-law's house. :( But I can hardly wait to try it now! Thanks for the tip, chick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rebecca - Oh, genius! I didn't even think about applying the drops on top of Seche Vite! But it dries fast enough that I don't think it needs it. Still, I must experiment. :)

    @Tracy - You're welcome! I hope you got one with the dropper. It's nice of you to have helped your MIL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Sephora by OPI drying drops comes with the dropper. I'd guess it is the same product.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is just what I needed! I have some old top coat from... Rimmel I believe and it was getting to that goopy stage too. Blech. A dropper though? Consider me sufficiently pumped!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love OPI, nail envy is one of all time favourites & I mostly wear that on it's own on my fingernails. I was just going to add that I believe there are 2 or 3 Sally Beauty supply stores in Toronto if you wanted to check it out for the Seche Vite. I was just at the one in Calgary yesterday, funny enough, and they are the only place where you can buy Palladio products too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also bought Seche Vite a few weeks ago but tried it on last week... and it was a revelation!!!
    Now I know why everyone is speaking so high about it!
    It's been one week and my nail look as if they were done a few minutes ago!
    It's definitely something I will always have in my nail polish collection and I believe I will never buy any other top coat! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Miss Lizzy - Doh, I didn't think of getting that one for some reason. I've been trying to stay away from Sephora! Well, good on them. I don't know why the original OPI can't do the same.

    @Amy - There must be something about top coats. This SV one is notorious for getting that way too, but I believe SV provides a solution that you can mix to revitalize it. I must test when the time comes!

    @Tracy D - Thanks, I just looked it up and there's one at Yonge/St. Clair! I remember which it is now. Just every time I've passed by it, it was closed. Next time. :)

    @Marta - I know, right?? Glad you've seen the light as well! *throws confetti*

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's ridiculous, the business about the dropped! "FREE Dropper Provided"?? Of course it should be free, and included with every packaging, no matter if it's in a combo set. That is just ridiculous.

    Speaking of top coats, I need a new one, I also have the China Glaze one but it's halfway gone. I'll have to either pick up the OPI or Seche Vite. Decision, decisions...

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Rhapsode - I know, right? Get the Seche Vite! No contest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's ridiculous that the OPI didn't come with a dropper! I've had it once before, but I purchased it by itself, so I guess I got the 'free dropper' included. I was never sure how much it really helped my polish and got really frustrated when half of it somehow evaporated even though the bottle was closed tightly. I probably won't ever buy it again. Maybe I'll go for the Seche Vite sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a habit of closing my lids too tightly, but I better double check on this! Yeah, the dropper business is pretty ridiculous. I did alert OPI to this post via Twitter but while Seche Vite retweeted the link, OPI is politely ignoring me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great review!! You have seriously made my mind and I will be purchasing a bottle of seche vite ASAP, even before finishing up my other top coats. I was waiting to finish the other stuff I already have, but you made the point! Why waste my time?

    I have been using Nails Inc Caviar, which dries in 45 seconds, however since I'm half way through the product it became a nightmare... I can't get the product properly on the brush (Nails Inc bottles are cute, but terrible when you want to finish up a product), also for some reason I started to get tons of bubbles whenever using it, which I can only get rid of if I use it on top of a glitter polish.

    Thanks for your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Liz! I absolutely love Seche Vite! Seriously? It is a total time-saver, no doubt of that! But on the con side, it becomes ridiculously thick by the time you near the bottom third of the bottle so...beware! Other than that, it's my preferred top coat/speed dryer! Thanks for the info on the 'dropper' business...I can't believe that OPI would do something like that! What gives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use a nail polish thinner in the Seche Vite, (just be sure to incorporate it well) and you can continue using it. I have been using it for about 20 years ane it is a great product. OPI's drip dry is too, but it isn't a top coat so it adds another step

      Delete
  19. @Beauty Addict & @ommorphiabeautybar - I'm now of the opinion that ALL top coats get goopy and weird halfway through the bottle. They're all formulated to dry quickly, so every time we open up the bottle to use it, the product inside is drying out slowly. Seche Vite apparently has a revitalizer in their line but I don't know if it's for the top coat or regular nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hehehe, I held out on buying S Vite for the exact same reason you did! And then you swayed me to the dark side :) It just pisses me off that down the road I'm going to have to buy a separate product in order to thin is out again, grrr...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Latoya, I was thinking the other day about that and think leaving the SV bottle open during top coat application is drying out the formula each time we use it. I applied my last top coats with MFing speed so as to preserve the bottle! I'll be doing a follow up to this post when I get to the drying out stage.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Liz, thank you for your blog. I was doing a search on how to prevent immediate chips with OPI polish and came across your site. Question: How in the world do I prevent my OPI polish from chipping within 12-24 hours? I apply a base coat and a drugstore brand quick dry top coat and 2 coats of OPI polish and have chips the next day, sometimes on 5 out of 10 nails the morning after I apply the polish - very frustrating. Would it make a difference if I used a better brand top coat, like the Seche Vite? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for the comment!

      I'm no nail expert but just an ardent polish lover. From my experience, polish chips much more quickly when you apply thick layers too fast because you're rushed. I always get chips on those kind of applications right away! The best way is to take a reasonable time out and be patient with your technique.

      1. One medium layer of base coat
      2. One thin coat of colour
      3. Let the first layer dry a bit before applying second layer to achieve opacity (5-10 mins, depending on the formula)
      4. Apply a thin third coat if necessary (after some drying time)
      5. Nice thick layer of top coat

      I hope this helps! But I find that if you work with your hands a lot, there's no product in the world that will guard against the eventual chips. I sit and type all day so my nails have it easy, lucky for them. I've been trying some new base/top coats lately so watch out for a new post on those soon. Take care!

      Delete
    2. Really appreciate the tips! Thank you!

      Delete
  23. Try using the Beauty Secrets Nail Thinner from Sally's Beauty supply to thin out Seche Vite. A couple drops works wonders!! Dont throw away or waste product just revive it!! works like new!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up giving away the Seche Vite to my sister, but I have a thinner now and will use it for future goopy formulas. Thanks!

      Delete
  24. Wow... no dropper? That is SO negligent and just poor performance by OPI. If there's no dropper included on the assumption that you already own their dropper and are buying an extra bottle, that should be stated in BIG clear writing on the packaging.

    Did you find that you had to usually keep the bottle closed with the screw lid, not the dropper? I read about someone who just used the dropper lid to keep it closed and found that heaps of the bottle just evaporated.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I didn't keep either bottle long enough to know whether products evaporated. THAT sucks major ass, too! I tweeted this to the OPI account and they totally ignored me. I still buy their nail polish but will never go near the special products again.

      Delete
  25. I know the deals pack where the drip dry is stacked on top of the top coat does come with a dropper. It was hidden inside the box at the top. I thought mine didnt come with it till I read the side carefully and realized it was hidden inside the stupid box. Maybe yours was just missed. That's sucky but thanks for the review of the Seche Vite. I will be switching and using that for my business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD. Maybe that was the case. But they really need to rectify that nonetheless and make the dropper more visible. >:(

      This was written a long time ago and I actually found a better fast-dry top coat -- coincidentally, from OPI. It's called RapiDry and dries as fast as Seche Vite but doesn't smell as terrible and doesn't get goopy as SV does after a while. The drying drops from Sephora by OPI are also very nice as well, though I couldn't tell if there was any difference in quality from the regular OPI drying drops.

      Delete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.