Saturday, July 30, 2011

July 2011 Faves

July was a scorcher of a month (woohoo!) and I tried to keep my routine as simple as possible with only foundation, concealer, cream blush and a bright(er) lippie. I didn't bother with setting powder or eye makeup at all and don't miss them much yet!

The foundation I enjoyed this month was the leftover MUFE Mat Velvet + Matifying from last summer. I haven't touched it since last fall and it hasn't changed in colour, texture or smell, so I've been using it almost every day now that I'm tanned and extra oily from the summer sun. I'm determined to finish it by the end of August as it really is very mattifying, tends to emphasize dry patches and can't be used when the weather cools and my skin starts to turn from oily to normal.


Have I mentioned how much I love cream blush? Dab dab dab, pat pat pat, and done! I enjoyed in particular Joe Fresh Cheek Tint in Cherry, By Terry Velvet Cream Blush in 2 Peach Nude, and GOSH Silky Cream Blusher Stick in 001 Tropical Breeze (to be reviewed). I think the orange and apricot tones of the GOSH and By Terry go well with a tanned complexion, and when I need a change once in a while, the sheer red of the Joe Fresh tint provided a perfect natural flush.


Now I'm not one for overly bright lips, but even I needed to kick things up a notch as the days melted into one gorgeous sunny moment after another. The lippies I've been enjoying are Revlon Colorburst in Strawberry, NARS Wonder and Lise Watier Lip Kiss Crayon Gloss in Mango Punch.


My hair has grown a few inches since the monumental hair disaster back in May. The few extra inches make a lot of difference in how I style my hair now. The MoroccanOil Intense Curl Cream which I raved about in my May 2011 favourites had to be put away as it stopped emphasizing the curls and weighed heavier in my hair once the length started to add extra weight. So I went digging in my stash and rediscovered an old favourite. This Sunsilk Waves of Envy Sea Mist is no longer sold in the stores, which I'm rather bummed about. I remembered that it worked really well the last time my hair was this length and emphasized the waves nicely. This $1.99 purchase was a total steal. When spritzed all over wet hair, it gives me a nice beachy wave as it dries. And if I want to polish up the look, I just add some anti-frizz spray or cream after my hair is dry. (Will post something more about this soon.)


I've always loved this Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarine-Basilic EDT and lately I've been drowning myself in this repeatedly throughout each day. The freshness of the citrus and basil shine while anchored by amber and sandalwood to keep it from being a ghostly salad type of scent. It lingers on my skin but it's also impossible to overspray because it's so light.


Because this bottle can't be carried around, I use a Sephora Atomizer to take it with me on the go. I wish all perfume came in travel sizes but until then, atomizers are a godsend.


So, that's basically my July routine in a nutshell. What have you been enjoying this month?

11 comments:

  1. I would love to get my mitts on that MUFE foundation. It sounds pretty much perfect for my skin at the moment! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still want that Guerlain perfume - it sounds heavenly! I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger yet, though. Trying to save money and failing :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried that perfume for the 1st time last year and love it, I don't own a bottle of it it was just a sample but I have been eyeing it ever since. I also got a sample of another perfume in my July Luxe box that you may like...I'll post that when I get back from the long weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, the MUFE Mat Velvet... I bought it a month ago and at first it was one big love. Fast forward 4 weeks and I'm not getting on with it at all. I'm not sure what's going on as my skin IS very oily and all that, but for some reason, Mat Velvet makes my skin look extremely dry and flaky. And I do moisturise well. Hmmm.

    My absolute favourite's been Giorgio Armani's Lasting Silk. Oh, and I've been loving Ellis Faas products too (only got the concealer and a couple of eyeshadows).

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked that Sunsilk Mist as well and was wondering what happened to it. I've been using Marc Anthony Beach Waves now and it works really well and smells coconutty!
    Nice faves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your favorites, and I should whip out my MUFE Mat Velvet Foundation again. I gave up on it a year ago because it settled in my pores, but I since discovered the wonders of the BeautyBlender sponge.

    Cream blush! I have been getting some mileage out of mine, too, and I so badly want that Chantecaille Aquablush, but my color is *always* sold out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been loving using my CScents Shimmer palette for the shimmery bronze/gold shades & using the tealish shades as lower lid liners with Lise Watier's metamorphix (HG product for me as a contact wearer) & an Annabelle bronzer that I use as blush. It's only got one corner that would qualify as a bronzer, the other 3 are pinky shades. It give me such a pretty flush with a touch of highlight as it is one of those "quadrant" blushes like Benefit's Sugar Bomb. Worth checking out - the metamorphix liquid is amazeballs! Great post as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely favourites! I've been reaching for Mat Velvet a lot too now the weather's warmed up, it does a brilliant job at keeping shine at bay and covers well too. I really like the sound of the Guerlain fragrance and the bottle is lovely, will have to test it next time I visit a Guerlain counter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Claire - You should get tested at a counter and see how you like it! It was so much nicer on me than the MUFE HD which everyone raves about.

    @Larie - It always takes me a while to buy full bottles of perfume as well. I think I tested this one about 10x before I finally caved, only because there are so few perfumes out there with basil as a note.

    @Tracy D - I love seeing what's in those Luxe Boxes since I don't subscribe! Can't wait!

    @Miss A - The MUFE can go on rather patchy and doesn't deal well with texture at all. I noticed that a mattifying primer can make it look worse. Never tried Lasting Silk or Ellis Faas but am curious!

    @Tracy - I haven't tried that one but good to know! I'm working through a few other products but might try the MA later. :)

    @Zuzu - I apply the MUFE with the traditional foundation brush but found it works well with sponge, too. Never tried a Chantecaille blush but SOME DAY! :D

    @Kim - You just reminded me of my own Annabelle bronzer that has fallen by the wayside. I also like bronzer/blush that can do double duty.

    @Nat - I think you'll really like it! I debated between this and the Herb Fresca for a while but the combo of citrus and basil was really enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun post! I liked reading about what you're using this Summer. It also reminded me to also get back into wearing cream blushes - they're so perfect in the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They really are! I really dislike using powder this summer so I find that cream blushes are the only way to go - and they're easy to carry around for touch-ups as well! I'm curious to know which ones you're using, Toya!

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.