Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Progress! My second empties post.

First of all, thanks to everyone who took the time to comment and give me some constructive feedback on the contents of this blog. You'll notice that from time to time I tend to forget that I am a self-proclaimed "reductionista" and get carried away with the new rather than reduce the mountain of old stuff hidden in every nook and cranny of... well, everywhere I traverse.

One of the things that people wanted to see more of was empties posts and ways to cut down on products or finding ways to multi-task with current products. I've been making a conscious effort to finish up some of the things that have been kicking around the house for way too long. Here's what I managed to work off in the past month or so.

Facial Wipes - I go through these like crazy, especially in the summer. In an effort to keep from breaking out and improve the condition of my skin, I decided to wipe off all makeup as soon as I get home if I don't plan on going out again that same evening. I'll usually do the whole proper face cleansing routine with cleansers, toners and moisturizers just before bed, but until I feel like spending that much time in the bathroom, at least taking off the makeup for a few hours is better than leaving it on all night... right?!?

I've mentioned all of these previously. The Body Shop Tea Tree Cleansing Wipes are great for acne-prone skin. I rarely stock up on the same item but since I go through them so quickly now, I bought three of these while The Body Shop was having one of those "buy # get # free" promotions.


This small pack of Balea 3 in 1 Cleansing Cloths is actually from my "secret stash." I ran out of all wet cloths for a time and didn't feel like buying another one.


Giant pack of Balea 3 in 1 Cleansing Cloths. I like using these to do a preliminary wipe, then do a secondary wipe with The Body Shop ones.


Veet Ready to Use Wax Strips for Face - I seriously hate dealing with any kind of hair, whether it's on my head, face, or body. I used to get my brows waxed on a regular basis at salons, but when I was at school full-time last year and had to cut back on expenses, I decided to give these facial wax strips a try.


I find that the full strip is way too big, so I cut them in half and make them last longer that way. This way they're the perfect size for under my brow and along the sides of my lips where I have the barest hint of the dreaded female mustache. They work well and I was satisfied with them. But I find all wax strips to be pretty much the same, so I'll just buy the cheapest kind possible and who cares whether it's Veet or Andrea or some no name brand as long as they don't tear off my skin.


Sephora Brand Smoothing Primer (Sample Size) - It's still half full but I gave up on this stupid thing. First, I think it made me break out. Second, it doesn't keep the shine at bay though it's matte enough to emphasize dry patches. I thought I liked it at first because it glides on super smoothly, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything beneficial for my face. Never again.


Dermalogica Clean Start Welcome Matte SPF 15 Moisturizer (Sample Size) - I quite liked this one. I don't think that it has any anti-acne properties, but it didn't cause trouble for my oily, acne-prone skin and seemed to provide enough hydration to keep from being overly matte. I bought another travel size of it to continue testing it out.


NOW BEHOLD: an actual finished makeup product. ***GASP!!!***

To think that my favourite lipstick of all time is this ugly bonus lipstick from Clinique. I wore it down to the nub as shown in the pic, thought of scooping out the remainder and using that too but decided I was never going to actually pick up a lipstick brush and be all high maintenance about it. The reason I like this Clinique Different Lipstick in "Tenderheart" is that it's the best low maintenance lipstick ever. It looks natural, feels moisturizing on my very dry and chappy lips, and all it requires is a swipe on the top, a swipe on the bottom and I'm good to go. Totally worth buying a new tube to continue with stress-free mornings.



As mentioned in the Rimmel Match Perfect Concealer post, I finished my favourite MUFE HD Invisible Cover Concealer again. I promptly went out to replace it as I've yet to find a better multi-tasking concealer for undereye and blemishes that matches my skin shade almost exactly.


I debated about whether I should include something like toothpaste and thought, heck why not. I had sensitive teeth for a long time and think that using Sensodyne actually really helps. Will definitely use again.


Pantene Nature Fusion Conditioner - HALLELUJAH! As you will see below, I got rid of not only this but TWO conditioners. While I like this conditioner a lot, my wavy-textured normal hair doesn't require much attention in the way of conditioning and I can take it or leave it with this Pantene option. Current drugstore fave is Fructis.


John Frieda Weatherworks Conditioner - I didn't see any weather-proofing results with this. Not worth the money.


I'm most happiest about getting rid of the conditioners as the large bulky bottles were taking up too much room in the bathroom cabinet. I've been pretty good about not buying skin/hair products in a desperate attempt to get rid of what I already have. To be honest I've been terrible with makeup, but at least I'm making some progress. I'll be conducting these empties inventory at every 10 products or so. Getting excited about finishing up more stuff now! Stay tuned!

14 comments:

  1. I find I manage to finish hair products and bath products often. Makeup though...not so often:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your empties posts a lot!! I've never done one-might have to some day! But sigh, I hardly finish makeup as well except for maybe lip glosses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Gasp* a finished makeup product! You are officially my empties hero!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these kinds of posts! Well done on finishing the lippie, that very rarely ever happens to me! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on all the empties! Clinique's Tenderheart is one of the few lipsticks I've actually used up an entire tube of too. It is a really pretty shade and the formula feels lovely, not sure why I haven't repurchased another tube actually!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Christine - Yup, that's how it is for me too!

    @Tracy - I can't even remember the last time I finished a lip gloss! It might have a MAC LE from 5 years ago or something.

    @Ashley - Noooo, you are! Your last empties post was epic!

    @Claire - Thank you! I consider you the queen of empties so that's high praise!

    @Nat - You're probably busy with new lippies. ;) I'm actually going to hold off on repurchasing this to work through some more lippies that are half-finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I think I might enjoy empties posts even more than I enjoy "Look what I just bought" posts. I dunno, there's something very refreshing and inspiring about them, and I've found myself consciously trying to work through the many needless beauty products I have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jill, nice to know we're in the same boat! (It's a crowded boat and the sea is so empty... ;)) I feel really good every time I get rid of a bunch of things, so hopefully there'll be more empties posts than haul posts in the future! Thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't comment in your last post about this, but I really enjoy your empties posts as well, I never thought about it too much until now! Its such a refreshing take on things because we all eagerly read what others are buying, but it's really interesting to see what someone is using up as well. And we all know the great feeling of lessening the load (to make way for new things, of course ~guilty!~). You inspire me to review my own stash to see what I can use up and toss too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post Liz...you have inspired me to keep better track of the products I finish. Which are very few. I think I'm going to give those Veet strips a try, I've never done home eyebrow waxing. Of course I'll be cursing you if it goes tragically wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must be a super-hero in disguise; how else to explain that you manage to do what most of us only give lip service to?! While I too finish shampoos, conditioners and leave-in treatments with alarming regularity, the only other "beauty" item I go through are face wipes (and Q-tips, I guess!) Face creams - I haven't been loyal to one brand, so that's hit or miss. Maybe a couple of lip glosses, and a couple of MAC Studio Fix powders. Might sound like a lot, but if you could see the amount of makeup I own, this list begins to look rather piddling. I thought your review, while personal, was also inspirational and I agree with Latoya in that it really is interesting to see what people are using, instead of always buying - I'll go back to burying my head in the sand now...lol!! Great, great post, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Toya - Thanks for your support, girl!! It means a lot. :) It's so easy for us to create/encourage lemmings for each other, which is fun in its own right, but I was really challenged by the comments re: being a reductionista and know that the same thought was weighing on me for a while anyway. I need to be stronger and having you join me will definitely help! :)

    @Tracy D - Oh oh, I hope you don't have delicate skin! lol You'll find that it's slightly awkward for the undereye since the strips are straight, not curved, but for me it fits nicely on the wide patch where a lot of stray hair grows. Good luck and feel free to yell at me if it doesn't work! ;)

    @Eugenia - You are TOO kind!! I'm definitely not a superhero of any sort (though I would LOVE to be!) It would be nice to have the power to go back in time and accomplish a lot more than this. :) I've been a middling kind of reductionista and feel a little extra convicted right now to do better. Thanks again for your comment and please enjoy your multitude of beautiful products without guilt! You have to enjoy it extra on my behalf! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done! I wish I could make Tenderheart work for me. It's so pretty in the tube and is so popular, but it drains all the color from my face. I hope I empty out some of my own stuff one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Zuzu! That's too bad about Tenderheart but the formula is good so maybe another one in the same line will work better with your colouring. I hate it when something that's supposed to be amazing for everyone doesn't work on me! Good luck with reducing your stash!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Commenting is open to any registered user.

In order to reduce spam, comments containing self-promotional links and URLs will not be approved. Also, comments for posts older than 10 days are moderated and will not appear on the page until they have been approved.