Thursday, July 14, 2011

Quest for my MUFE Replacement: Rimmel Match Perfection Skin Tone Adapting Concealer

I ran out of my favourite Makeup Forever HD Invisible Cover Concealer, which I've already talked about here, here and here. So I promptly went out and purchased it for the fourth time, using a giftcard from Sephora to do so. But as always when buying this product in particular, I questioned its high price versus value and quantity. Instead of ripping into the new package, I decided to look for a cheaper alternative. Starting at the lowest range possible, I will work my way up from drugstore to high end in search of the perfect alternative. If such a thing is not to be found, the MUFE will always be there for me... right? Right.

My search led me to this Rimmel Match Perfection Skin Tone Adapting Concealer which was on sale at Pharma Plus for about CAD$5. As stated in my previous reviews of the MUFE concealer, I wear it in 340 Sand and it works well to cover undereye circles and blemishes. My undereye circles are not too bad, so I usually don't put on much concealer there if at all - sometimes a good foundation will work just as well. However, there are those days when you need a little something extra. The idea of a nice $5 concealer made me super excited.


Unfortunately it comes in only three shades. I am never the lightest, sometimes I match the second lightest at my palest during winter, so I picked the darkest shade which is 040 Soft Beige.


The product also claims to be a 2-in-1 concealer & highlighter. Great! It may perhaps replace the outrageously expensive YSL Touche Eclat as well. Its other claims are as follows:

"Banish signs of fatigue and illuminate the eye area. With an oxygen complex. Lets skin breathe."

I'm happy with merely banishing the signs of fatigue. If it "illuminates," even better. But I'm ignoring the oxygen complex and breathing part as they're marketing embellishment BS. If I want my skin to breathe, I won't cover it up period.

Here's what it looks like with the cap off. It seems to be modeled loosely on the YSL Touche Eclat, with a brush tip/applicator.


However, this is a squeeze tube instead of a push-click. Either way, I don't mind.


What I can't get over is that this is the darkest shade offered. Even on me it looks quite light.

Let me take a moment to tell you that I'm being quite brave by putting up pics of my one very hooded eye in order to show you the effect of this concealer / highlighter / illuminator. This eye is a huge source of grievance as the other eye is nicely creased and much bigger in comparison. But for some reason I took shots of this eye. ANYWAY. Moving on.


As can be seen, not much of a dark circle. Just some slight bruising effect under the inner corner of the eye.


I took a liberal swipe all the way underneath. The concealer is slightly pink and too fair for my skin tone. I can't imagine how light the other two shades might be!


But when patted and blended in, the mismatch in shade doesn't seem too bad. In fact, it does illuminate. The coverage is light so it barely classifies as a concealer, but there's a marked difference when I wear it and when I don't. For a $5 product, it's not bad.

So, now that I have it in my possession, I'll use it until it's done. It's an okay product, but again, doesn't do much to cover major dark circles. In fact, it performs the way some people complain of the YSL Touche Eclat: that there's no concealing effect and that it's not worth the money. Well, $5 to "illuminate" is not a bad deal. While it certainly won't be replacing my MUFE HD Invisible Cover, it just might replace the YSL Touche Eclat which I'm not terribly fond of. Perhaps some other highlighter junkie/expert can defend the virtues of YSL, but that's an area in which I pay very little attention, so I just might be happy with the Rimmel for a while.

How do you feel about concealing and illuminating and what's your favourite undereye concealer? Discovered any good drugstore products lately?

8 comments:

  1. It actually looks like it does a pretty good job considering the price! I'm not a fan of YSL's Touche Eclat either because of the lack of concealing you mentioned. I prefer Dior's pen concealer/highlighter which offers slightly more coverage. It's still expensive stuff though so I may check out cheaper alternatives before I re-purchase, will keep this one in mind. Thanks for the review and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for posting these pics!!! And PS stop being so hard on yourself, your eyes - both of them - are lovely the way they are! So. End rant.

    Now, re: illuminating concealers, I particularly am not a fan because I have serious dark circles and need more than just 'illumination.' Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a great concealer that I'm completely happy with. Bobbi Brown's are great color-wise, but still not enough coverage for what I'm looking for. I'm definitely still on the hunt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, your eye is beautiful and nothing you ever need make excuses for! Secondly, I'm impressed that an inexpensive drugstore brand can work as well as that one did, although the limited range can be off-putting. As to YSL's Touche Eclat....I'm afraid I fall in the "defending the product" category, as I absolutely LOVE it (works really well on me, but then again, I don't have any major under eye issues), but I've held off getting a new one because of the high price (hate that part!). This was a really helpful post, though....thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nat - I've never tried the Dior but I'll give it a shot when I get to that price range. Thanks for the recommendation!

    @Toya - Thanks, girl! I have a few points of insecurity and mismatching eyes is one of them! But putting up these pics have actually helped instead of making me more self-conscious. :) Now I didn't notice any such dark eye circles when I met you. What did you use that day?

    @Eugenia - Thank you, my friend! I'm glad the YSL works well for you! I bought it because I saw first-hand how amazing its effect was on my friend Joanne, but unfortunately it doesn't do the same for me! Ah well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly see nothing you have to cover...seriously ;) Now I've also heard good things about the Maybelline mineral concealer...have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Tracy! This is how my "circles" look typically - they're a bit more noticeable from a distance rather than close up. Sometimes it's worse, sometimes it's non-existant. I haven't tried the Maybelline as I've been avoiding Maybelline for a while, but maybe I'll give that a whirl after the Rimmel. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz! I'm looking for a new undereye concealer for my mother, and in the course of trawling the interwebs for reviews, I came across yours. I love running into blogging friends when traipsing through the wilderness ;) I think I'll pick this up for her to try––she's almost as pale as me, but much warmer (natural redhead and all that), so the lightest shade will probably work. Thanks for the review! (I'm a diehard MUFE fan myself, but I've been blessed with a lack of under eye woes, so I use it for spot concealing, since I was also blessed with an abundance of spots to be concealed...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when I come across a review from someone I know whilst on the hunt! LOL I too am blessed with an abundance of spots to be concealed. Undereye issues remain the same and I'm still using the Rimmel, so good luck and hope it works for your mom! :)

      Delete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.