Saturday, August 27, 2011

Progress! My third empties post.

Ladies... I proudly present to you my official EMPTIES bag. It sits on my overcrowded desk as a reminder to continue to use up the things I have. Every time I toss something into this bag, I feel ten pounds lighter. Ha, it's like a beauty product diet. Novel concept.


Without further ado, this is what I managed to get rid of recently.


Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo. Not sure whether it actually works to get rid of "residue" or not, but the medicinal smell was unbearable. I stupidly purchased this giant vat of it from Costco and it was impossible to finish. Luckily when Holt Renfrew hosted a Fekkai shampoo trade-in event, my sister and I were able to take this in and redeem it for a Fekkai Glossing Shampoo instead.


Alberto European Moisture Soak Shampoo. Not moisturizing at all. One of the most horrible shampoos ever purchased. Also traded in for a Fekkai shampoo at the event noted above.


Finesse Moisturizing Conditioner. Managed to finish this to the very last drop. My mom always used to buy Finesse when I was little and I still have a lingering fondness for it. It's not too terrible but not great either. For a few bucks at the drugstore, you get what you pay for. I probably won't ever buy it again. Good bye, Finesse. It was nice growing up with you.


The Body Shop Tea Tree Cleansing Wipes. Already discussed a few times before. I'll continue to work my way through this stuff.

Balea 3 in 1 Cleansing Cloths. Also discussed many times. Will continue to purchase.


Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel. Ahhh, a monumental finish! The fact that I finished it means that I really liked it. I know the redness and stinging horrifies some people, but the redness fades within a few hours and my face feels wonderfully smooth afterwards. Now the dilemma is whether I repurchase this or go experimenting once more. I've been curious about REN Glycolactic Skin Renewal Peel Mask for a long time, so I may take a detour there and then return to this Juice Beauty peel if REN doesn't work out for me. [Edit: Ordered the REN!]


Aveda Outer Peace Acne Relief Lotion. The Outer Peace line is outrageously expensive but it is one of the few anti-acne lines out there that (A) actually work, and (B) doesn't strip your face dry. I'm working with a few other anti-acne products right now so it'll be a while before I come back to this one. But come back I will, because that's what happened the last time and my face turns into a mess without it.

butterLONDON Master Black Tea Luxury Lotion (Travel Size). I won a bunch of butterLONDON stuff in a contest last year before I began this blog but forgot to include these lotions in the hand lotion inventory. This is a body lotion but the size makes it perfect for carrying around in my purse. It's actually the exact kind of consistency and texture I like for a hand lotion. For the body I prefer heavier creams and butters. The smell of Black Tea is interesting. I definitely get the tea aspect of it but it isn't heavy at all. I don't like it enough to pay the rather expensive price for the full size but perhaps I will repurchase if smaller sizes for lower price becomes available.


Makeup Forever Lash Fibers. I don't know if lash primers work. My lashes are so puny that I feel like they can use every help they can get, but primers will uncurl the curl, turn white and become difficult to cover up with the mascara and add an extra annoying step in my morning routine. This is old enough that I have to toss it for safety reasons. I might not be as careful with other products in my stash but I have super sensitive eyes and am very careful about products that get so close to my weak, aging eyeballs. Will not repurchase.

H2O Shine Control Mattifying Essence. A product so old that it is no longer carried in the stores. Still, it works and doesn't smell bad or anything. But I know for a fact that it's really old and it's time for it to go. I might repurchase if it still exists. It soaks the oil right off your face but will accentuate dry patches.

theBalm Balm Shelter SPF 17 Tinted Gloss in "Dream Girl". I just finished talking about how much I love theBalm. Well, one thing I don't love about them is their lip gloss. It has a sickly sweet smell that makes me feel ill and I don't think the tinted gloss is so great that it's worth spending $20 on. This one, however, I got in a MUA swap because although I hate swapping for lip products, the person swore that it was swatched only once very lightly. I believed her until I recently found a long black hair tangled with the doe foot applicator inside the lip gloss. GROSS. In the trash it goes. I'll never swap lippies with strangers again. Never.


Boscia Peppermint Blotting Linens. I scooped up a ton of these during Christmas when they were on sale for $5 each. I like the uncomplicated nature of the Boscia blotting linens. But since they're regularly $13 each, I need to find a cheaper replacement. I'm thinking of trying out the NYX blotting sheets that are sold at Rexall for about $6. Anyone know if they're any good?

--------------------------------------------------------

12 products gone. I think I'm improving with time. Have you been working on empties or Project 10 Pan or the like lately?

19 comments:

  1. That's a great idea to leave a reminder for yourself. I am with you sistagirl on the reducing the beauty inventory. Here's the thing, I've been going through the stuff I like the least first, it's funny huh? I kind of think you are doing the same thing too. It's like I want to save the extra special stuff for later. You know that story of the guy on the island who has one banana and eats the skin first to save the banana and of course is rescued. I wonder if that's us?
    I like Aveda a lot (it's owned by Estee Lauder now). I love their lipgloss so much. I have one and I never used it much and I am trying to use it before it goes bad. It's kind of old so now they don't make it any more. I was looking to see if I could repurchase, but there are new colors for me to try. Hmm...I think I better do a ban on purchases till I make a huge dent. I better start using more stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really think of what I was getting rid of. I just get excited when I can see/feel a container being emptied out and then it's a mad dash to the finish line. Some stuff I've just had for too long and others I mechanically used out of routine. My whole blog was supposed to be a giant makeup ban, but as you can see, it's only partially successful. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have over thought it. Ah well. You have inspired me to be strong and reduce, reuse and recycle my collection.
    I think you're doing awesome and it's spurring me on to do the same. YAY Liz!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That lip gloss story was hard for this OCD girl to read..I think it's a good call not to swap lip products. I really like the ELF blotting papers, they are excellent and only $1, I also like the ones at the Body Shop. Love these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how is the fekkai shampoo? i see it everywhere and i get so tempted to buy it >_< and i think its funny cuz i totally grew up with finesse too and i get tempted to try it out again wen i see it cuz i feel my hair was so much nicer wen i was younger lol and that's a ton of empties ^^ im so jealou >_<

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!
    I did a huge clear out few days ago - tossed old and/or totally unusable items (things so bad that I wouldn't even give them to someone else for free), prepared some other stuff to be swapped/sold and some to be given to friends. I still ended up with huge pile of products, but feel a lot better about what I have now. I have also managed to use up some products recently (mostly skin and bodycare) which made me very proud of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @D - Thanks so much!! :) Um, but don't be mad when I show you some of the new stuff I got recently. lol

    @Tracy D - I don't know where to get ELF aside from Winners and the selection there is some kind of overflow stock and I haven't seen blotting papers. And I don't like to order online. Where do you get yours from?

    @sweetkiss - I haven't tried the Fekkai yet because I'm trying to finish up the ones I already have going, but my sister actually got so excited she tried once. She said she didn't like it and that it felt kind of weird, so... wait until I try it. lol I'm almost done with the current shampoos!

    @Yarisse - I need to start packing up some stuff to give away too! I don't know how the heck we can accrue so much, sometimes without even buying anything! I'm proud of you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these posts! I'm working on a few lipglosses right now and I've gone through my travel size stuff and am trying to get finished with those too. As far as makeup goes, I rarely use all of something because I have so much and keep buying! But I do go through bath and body products and it's always such a good feeling to finish something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm also working on the travel size and sample size items! Weird how even the little stuff take forever to finish, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the post, but I got the creepy-crawlies reading about the lip gloss swap......EWWWWWWW!!!! A long black hair tangled IN the gloss? First of all, how could it have gotten in there without the original owner not noticing? GROSS is an understatement....I swear I almost started heaving, lol!! You are my hero Liz.....I cannot believe how you manage to get to all these "empties" stages; the only items I regularly empty are shampoo & conditioner, leave-in conditioners,makeup remover, makeup wipes & Q-tips! Maybe mascara too, as far as beauty products go. You, my friend, are an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know, it was pretty disgusting. You can't imagine my horror when I opened it and saw it. Ugh.

    Thanks for the high praise, Eugenia! Hopefully this emptying trend will continue with greater frequency! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these posts! I'm finally going to do one, although it's mainly shampoos and conditioners and such.
    Really gross about the lipgloss! Yuck! I'm curious about the Juice Beauty Peel, but I think it will irritate my overly sensitive skin right now.
    I'm pretty sure you can ELF products at Zellers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Tracy! I never go to the Zellers near my house because it's so poorly stocked/maintained. Can't wait to see what you've been using!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm STILL dragging along with these 1/3 or 1/2 empty bottles of boring lotions and stuff and here you are with a bag of 12 empty items... I'm just going to pretend your progress is my progress so I don't have to think about the real non-progress I've made LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a bunch of stuff that are also almost finished but didn't quite make it for this post. Keep plugging away! We can do it! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so terribly impressed by your empties post! Every time I read one I am motivated to do my own, and to work towards getting rid of 'stuff' that's threatening to take over my life!! ....OK, dramatic, yes, but seriously, you know what I mean. I had never heard of the Pan 10 Project in my life until now - I looked it up, and sadly I have to confess I'd never be able to do it! I have so many products that'll never be finished, I'd never buy another item again! And that's just not ON :P But I do want to implement a regime where I have to use up SOMETHING before buying another product. There's gotta be an end to this insanity!!

    Excellent, and thought-provoking post, as always Liz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, P10Ps are way too difficult and would set me up for failure even before I start. I think everyone can think of a reasonable project tailored to her own lifestyle/needs. For me, I just need to give a product enough chances to make it a part of a routine; then it starts dwindling at a visible rate. When I can *see* the reduction, it helps me spur on to finish! Good luck with your stash! I know you have greater self-control than I do and will do an awesome job, whichever way you decide to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look at you go! I love the idea of the bag reminder. Do you get a special treat if you fill it up with empties? Yes, I'm planting ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, I give myself enough treats without you planting ideas! But if I do manage to finish an entire category of things, I will give myself a HUGE reward! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.