Saturday, September 10, 2011

Essie "Very Structured" and its dupe Misa "Moody Models"

Despite some valiant lemming-crushing, I succumbed to the glory of autumnal hues even though the trees haven't turned colours yet.

nature-hd.com

Let's play a guessing game. If you know me by now, you might be able to pick out the two colours I would be most drawn to from Essie Fall 2011 Collection.


Scroll down to see the answer!

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

Selected: "Carry On" (left) and "Very Structured" (second from right)

I offer you the paltry excuse that I had no shade quite like Very Structured in my stash. Then, as things usually will, within the same week I also managed to find Misa Moody Models which is a very close likeness of Essie Very Structured.


At a cursory glance, one might mistake Very Structured for a very warm chocolate. But clearly it has too much orange to be classified as brown. Perhaps the colour of an aged brick? Essie calls this a "classic burnt sienna." There's an old-fashioned/vintage feel to the colour that I would not be drawn to at any other time other than fall. Bravo, Essie. You've managed to reel me in yet again.




I quite like Very Structured very much. There's a definite Mad Men kind of vibe to the shade. Like I should be pairing it with an outfit composed of rich forest green or a gorgeous mustard yellow. Behold Exhibit A:


Yes? No? Maybe? I mean, speak of being structured: I give you Exhibit B.


Before I veer off wildly into TV blogging territory, here's how Very Structured compares with some better known shades.

OPI "You Don't Know Jacques" (left); Zoya "Tamsen" (right)

Very Structured looks almost orange next to the taupe-brown of OPI You Don't Know Jacques but looks brown next to the orangey tomato red of Zoya Tamsen.

Misa "Moody Models" (left); SpaRitual "Hush" (right)

However, next to a rich chocolate brown such as SpaRitual Hush, Very Structured and its near-dupe Misa Moody Models look quite orange by comparison.


However, between the two alone... I would say Very Structured leans more orange while Moody Models pulls more brown. I can see the difference but it's not by much, especially once the colours are on the nails.




I wanted to showcase both together because if you missed out on Very Structured, you can rely on Moody Models instead. Misa polishes are sold for CAD$7.99 at Trade Secrets while Essie costs around CAD$9.99-$10.99. Moody Models is a permanent shade, so there's that bonus factor as well.

I'm new to Misa nail polish but so far I have no complaints. (Will post some more in-depth reviews of Misa polishes in the future.) But if I had to choose between the two, I might go with Very Structured because I'm intrigued by the indefinable quantity of orange in the shade. The formula for both were great, though I thought Misa was just a tad more chip-prone than Essie.

Have you picked up anything from Essie's new fall collection or found a great new unique shade?

13 comments:

  1. The Essie has a more rusty tone to it which makes it a) a perfectly valid purchase b) gorgeous c) perfect for autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have a Sally Hansen shade almost exactly like this...woohoo! But it's old, so really, I'd be justified in buying a new, different replacement, right? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Very Structured and love it! Moody Models is a great substitute though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a classy colour and I imagine suits you beautifully! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Structured is a contradiction; an "old-fashioned-looking" hue, yet until the Misa polish you found, there was nothing out there like it! Weird how that happens, right?! On the other hand, I love how it looks on you, and now I'm curious about that Spa Ritual shade...looks yummy! PS: really enjoy your inclusion of the 'other' photos....nice touch, Liz!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Structured definitely pops out the most out of the colors. I like the orange-y tones, but do I need more nail polishes? *inner conflict and turmoil erghh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Eugenia - Thanks, friend! By the way, I came across ANOTHER similar shade yesterday, new from Sally Hansen Complete! I've forgotten the shade name but you'll know which I mean when you see it. I was like, "Ahhhhhhh, another one!!!!!" but didn't buy it. lol

    @Makeup Morsels - I'm glad you think so! Errr.. how many NPs do you have? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, Very Structured looks lovely! I don't have anything like this either, so I may have to grab this one. Carry on looks nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you like it! I can see this looking amazing on you, Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post in particular reminded me how much I love your humorous style of writing. It''s amazing to me how completely different beautywise we are I too am obsessed yet buy very little now I've pour over beauty blogs and mags for techniques and to (try) and convince myself I have comparable/dupe products at home, or can find something at the drugstore( excluding perfume and my creme de la mer, no luck there).
    You love the oil control stuff, foundation blush and balm, don't mess much with your hair.
    I go for moisturizing everything, dab a dot of foundation in my moisturizer, dab of blush, but do lips and brows big. I obsess over hair colors and styles.
    Yet yours is among my favorite blogs. Pretty sure it's your writing style. Oh yeah that was the point of my post. I like your blog. a lot. you're a good an funny blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for your generous comment! I appreciate that you've gone through the old posts and picked up on the repeated issues. I wish I could be like you and be happy with a dab of foundation and go big on lips but... not yet! Thanks again for your lovely comment -- it makes my day! :D

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.