Sunday, October 23, 2011

Progress! My sixth empties post.

It's that time of the month again! The one I look forward to, that is, rather than the one that makes me snarl at people and weep at the drop of a hat while shoving chocolate bars in my mouth in rapid succession.


Caudalie Grape Water


I've had this kicking around for a while and was so relieved when the spritz dwindled to a pitiful squirt and the end was nigh. It was one of those products I bought just because I wanted to try something from the brand without spending an arm and a leg. Unfortunately I can't tell you whether it works well or not because I have oily skin and usually don't feel the need to sooth or moisturize. Sometimes I'd just spray this on my face in lieu of a moisturizer on hot summer days. It sprays a very fine mist and smells faintly fresh and grape-like. I wish I could have found a better use for it. It might work well as a moisturizing toner for those with dry skin.



Garnier Fructis Extreme Hold Spray


My sister and I both went at this spray pretty hardcore. Fortunately we both had plenty of lazy hair days during which we'd put the hair up into high bun/ponytail and spray the shit out of the whole thing. For that purpose, I'd say this spray did the job very well indeed. My hair always stayed exactly the same on those days, from morning to night. It becomes very stiff and untouchable, so if you're looking for a flexible styling spray, this isn't it.


L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Makeup Liquid Foundation (N3 & W4)


This was my go-to drugstore foundation for a long time and I paid it a revisit last winter after years apart from it. It's a great foundation for those with normal skin but it definitely doesn't stand up to oily skin for a full day. The coverage is light to medium and the formula is on the watery side without being too thin. I love the glowy effect of this foundation but it doesn't provide me with enough coverage or staying power, which is why now I must bid it a fond farewell.


I picked up N3 because it used to be a match for my skin (or so I thought) but it's too pink. Then I picked up W4 because it's slightly darker than my tanned summer skin and great for mixing with the paler foundations in my stash. The N3 bottle is still mostly full but I'm giving up on it since it's not a match and neither the texture nor coverage suits me now. The W4 bottle is empty even though it doesn't look like it. I mixed it in with other leftover foundations into a generic plastic bottle to finish using.


Cover FX BritePrep FX Brightening Foundation Primer SPF 50


I think I got this in a kit with some other Cover FX products and thought it sounded fantastic. High SPF and a primer combined into one? Yes please!

However, I haven't gotten much use out of this product since it leaves me a very greasy mess almost immediately. It also has the same chemical sunscreen components that may aid in breakouts. I'd only recommend this for those with dry skin that isn't on the sensitive side.


Benefit Big Beautiful Eyes


I received this as a birthday present almost four years ago, I think. My my, how time flies yet the shadows just won't diminish!


I think you can understand my reluctance to dip into a concealer that's almost four years old. Yuck.  But I did manage to make a sizeable dent in it. This is Benefit Boi-ing concealer in shade #2, Medium. It's an industrial strength concealer that is fantastic at covering dark spots and scars. I wish Benefit would offer a greater shade range because I fall somewhere between Light and Medium, though Medium is closer to my skin than Light is.


 The shadows, however, are in okay condition. But I just feel icky with the whole kit at this point and would rather toss it and leave more room in my train case. 


I liked using the dark brown shadow for my eyebrows and can still do so I suppose, but I'm just not into de-potting and all that jazz.



And I did make good use of the mini brushes in this kit, because four years ago I didn't own any makeup brushes.


L'Oreal Telescopic Mascara in Carbon Black


I stumbled across this in my train case and was surprised because I had completely forgotten about it. When I bought it, I don't remember. When I opened it, I don't remember. How well it worked? I have a vague memory of it being an okay mascara. It added length and definition and didn't smudge. But clearly it wasn't anything to write home about if I can forget it so easily.


I think my issue was with the brush, which is very long and thin. I usually like smaller brushes because my eyes are quite small, but this one feels very flimsy and doesn't really grip my puny individual lashes all that well. I'm nowhere near finishing this mascara but who knows how old it is -- so it must go.


Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer Light


The Smashbox primer was the first foundation primer I ever used and I think this was my second bottle of Photo Finish Light. But after experimenting with other primers, I just could not go back to using this again. It's thick, goopy and doesn't help with breakouts nor help make the foundation last all day. I haven't touched it since September 2010 and when I pumped out a bit to test on my hand last week, the texture was so gluey that I was grossed out. I don't feel bad about tossing it since it's more than half finished.


The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash (Travel Size)


I talked about it in my last post here. I quite liked this one, though I'm not sure if I'd purchase the full size.

DDF Glycolic 10% Toning Complex


Previously discussed here. As soon as I finished it, I went to Sephora for a repurchase but guess what? DDF toners are no longer sold in Canadian stores for some reason though they still carry the DDF cleansers and moisturizers. For time being I'll work with the other toners in my stash, but it looks like I'll be purchasing it on strawberrynet.com from now on.

Philosophy Purity Made Simple


Simply the best facial cleanser I have ever tried. It's gentle enough for all skin types and it washes away makeup better than any other cleanser. It really is a one-step facial cleanser. Admittedly, sometimes I do end up using it for a double cleanse: first with this and second with an anti-acne cleanser. But on good days I just massage Purity on my face for a few minutes before rinsing. It's the second time this year that I've finished this 240ml size bottle. The only issue with it is that it's not cheap. Luckily I have the larger 473.1ml bottle as backup.

Total # of Empties


5 full size products (1 of which is makeup)
1 trave size product
4 products being tossed due to old age/expiry

Not bad. It was hard for me to part with the Big Beautiful Eyes palette because it seemed so wasteful, but as I was typing out this post and having to think back to just how old it was, I realized once more how silly it was to hang on to things just for the sake of having it.

If you're working on empties or variations of the Project 10 Pan, how goes the battle? Like I've said before, the more you do it, the more getting rid of things become almost as fun as getting new things. Hard to believe but it's true! Try it!

18 comments:

  1. You're a rockstar, Liz! I often feel the same way about old makeup - I'm never going to use it again and it's just taking space, so I just toss it. I guess I should feel bad, but I don't. Don't look back!

    I'm accumulating some empties. It's taking forever. Maybe I should stop buying stuff. *lightbulb* Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay my fave post!!!
    Wow! I am in awe! You are doing so great!!!
    I'm with Larie-you shouldn't feel bad about tossing old makeup. Better to be safe than sorry. I have a few things I should check and make sure they're ok to still us, And why do we hold on to makeup items for so long? Weird.
    BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay *shoots party poppers* another set down. You're just burning through your stash, sometimes if I know I am going to hit pan soon I tend to rub the brush a "few" times in order to get to the bottom of the pan. If I hate the color I may just toss it, you know there's always that odd color that you find in a palette but I want to pretend that it's not an utter waste. That was my confession. Should I go say ten hail mary-kays?
    I really want to go through my stash too, apparently so desperately that I am willing to just do oddball things. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know how I feel about this :D I love, love, love it!! And as we've chatted about, it DOES get easier, and becomes kinda fun! I have been blasting through products and it feels SOO good, and it makes me excited to think when I've gotten a bunch of stuff way pared down, about the replacements I'm gonna buy that I will be entirely justified doing. Woohoo!!!

    I'm particularly impressed that you threw out the palette, you SHOULD be proud because items that aren't entirely finished are the hardest to part with because of the feeling of waste, but its just not worth it to keep things just because. So, as always, you're doing amazing girl and keep rockin' it out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo-Hoo!! Another bunch of stuff bites the dust!! That's so amazing of you, Liz! And while I myself hold on to way too many items for no particular reason at all, I'm glad you're tossing the mascara and those shadows; health hazards outweigh sentimentality hands down! Congrats, girlfriend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so many empties! congratulations =) And good choice on tossing the Benefit. Sometimes, it's just time for things to go. Especially concealer!

    I agree with you about purity. It really is the best at washing away makeup, and the mild smell is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you go!
    I have finished some shampoo, conditioner and body washes lately...but that's all I ever seem to finish:(
    We also like the Body Shop Tea Tree cleanser here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job! It's so hard to part with makeup when it's only partly used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Larie - Thanks, girl! I'm going to break your lightbulb now... somebody needs to keep buying stuff for me to enjoy, lol.

    @Tracy - Thanks, Trace! Yes, better safe than sorry. I'm not sorry anymore. It is weird how we get so attached to these things. I'm still trying to figure that out.

    @D - LOL @ a "few" times! I should try that trick. :) I've never tried Mary Kay so I'm not sure if she's worth hailing, but do go through the stash and be an oddball along with me. If you're not an oddball, you're just everybody else!

    @Toya - I know you're fully behind me and perhaps even ahead of me on this!! Every time you comment, I feel stronger LOL! The waste thing is a thing I grew up with and so difficult to confront even now as an adult. Still, that's what this blogging thing is all about. Thanks for keep rockin' along! :DDD

    @Eugenia - Thanks, friend! I always appreciate your full support! :)

    @Dovey - I do have a backup of the concealer to console me, lol. Thanks for the comment! And yes, Purity is so good and not overrated at all! I never note the smell but I think it's a part of why I love it so much. ^^

    @Christine - Hey, finishing up shampoo, conditioner and body wash is monumental! I'm rotating between two nearly finished body cleansers but they just won't die!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Vita - You know how to rock out some good empties posts so I know you know! Someday I'll learn to be immune to this struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's A LOT of empties! Congrats! Feels so great, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Gaby! It does feel good but technically I guess half weren't real empties. Still, they had to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heh these posts always impress me lol are you doing these monthly??? cuz that is pretty amazing lol

    I'm also particularly impressed that you threw out the palette as well since i totally agree that getting rid of things that aren't completely finished is doubly hard cuz it seems like a waste. i think thats the hardest for me to do. even with mascara which should be thrown out more often xD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi hi! Last month it was twice. But yeah, seems to end up being about 10 products every month. :)

    I think depending on the palette, it might be okay to keep for even longer. This one being a mix of concealer + shadows made it messier. If it was an all-powder palette, I might have kept it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. good job, okay if I can also add 'old & not usable' into my empties I think I'm almost ready to do one of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have that Philosophy cleanser and I'm kind of meh about it. I use it in the shower to wash my face and when I'm just standing there in a daze in the mornings I read the ingredients and get annoyed because it's nothing to do with "purity" at all. It even has colour added!

    Companies that pretend to have a philosophy (SEE WHAT I DID THERE) irk me. Just give me the damn chemicals, I don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha! I've rolled my eyes plenty at the Philosophy jargon but I can be very forgiving of such silliness if the product actually works. For a long time I thought Purity was overrated and a more expensive Cetaphil, but Purity really does take off all my makeup while Cetaphil always ends up being a double cleanse. My sister with dry skin and my oily skin both love it!

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.