Thursday, November 24, 2011

Alternative to the amazing Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer: It's a Sunscreen!

If you've been reading this blog for a while, it's no surprise that I choose to rave about the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer at every opportunity. For this oily-faced daily foundation wearer, Veil Mineral is a lifesaver. I usually have to blot my nose within an hour of makeup application. With this primer, I don't blot until noon. It's pricey but so, so worth it.


But I understand that it's not for everybody. We all have different skin types and concerns. However, this search criteria that led someone to my blog made me laugh out loud.


I'm sorry to whomever this was, but it actually is quite amazing.

However, I certainly understand and sympathize with those who cannot bring themselves to pay $70 for a primer. So it always makes me feel a little guilty to talk so much about a product that not everyone can enjoy. As a result, I have been on the lookout for a dupe. Frankly, I'd rather not pay $70 either. If there's a comparable alternative, I am all ears!

Interestingly, the closest dupe I've been able to find is a sunscreen. I've heard great things about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Water-Light Sunscreen but it's usually about CDN$20 at the drugstores and you know that the el cheapo within emerges only at the drugstore for some reason. If you think it's ludicrous that I'd fork over $70 for a primer but not $20 for sunscreen, I agree with you.


After the Shiseido sunscreen broke me out, I went on a hunt for a replacement. After debating this and that, I thought I'd stick with the Aveeno which wasn't bad. But then I finally saw this Water-Light one on sale at Shoppers. It was on clearance for $5 and so I had to grab two. And yes, I made sure that they weren't expired.


It feels to me like a liquid version of Hourglass Veil Mineral and does a good job of keeping my face matte for a few hours. Now, it is not a perfect replacement for the Veil Mineral and isn't as smooth and soothing. But for a sunscreen, it indeed does wear extremely well under makeup and should double as a sunscreen + primer excellently for many people. As for the actual performance as a sunscreen, I won't be able to test it out until Xmas/New Years when I'll be basking under the UV rays in an exotic location far, far away!

Here are the ingredients:


And I believe this sunscreen recommendation answers the query that popped up in the stats last night:


I wish I had listened to the rave reviews about this sunscreen earlier and tried it out sooner. I really regret the extra money spent on the Shiseido and the consequence of that remains on my skin as a fresh scattering of acne scars. I've had zero issues with the Neutrogena Water-Light and highly recommend it to everyone, except for those with extremely dry skin who might find it tight and mattifying.

And for those who are still interested in testing the Veil Mineral primer, it's available at Sephora in two sizes (travel size for around $20 and the full size). Don't just listen to me but try a sample first. That's how I got hooked on it. As for whether I'd keep purchasing the Veil Mineral... I'm not sure. One way to have the best of both worlds is to rely on Water-Light on a daily basis and pull out the travel size of Veil Mineral for special occasions. But I may stick to Veil Mineral simply because it is that amazing for my skin.

Have you tried Water-Light or Veil Mineral? Which would you pick?

17 comments:

  1. Have you tried MAC's Face Protect SPF 50 yet? a.k.a. my lover and soulmate? I used to have to blot my nose within one to two hours of applying my foundation, and now I don't blot until THE 8TH HOUR. I kid you not. Non-comedogenic, non-acnegenic, oil-free, AND SPF 50. HELLO. And it's $36.50. I urge you to try it. Or ask one of the MAC counters for a sample of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of primer and I want to try Hourglass, I hear such good things about it. You know recommending skin care is hard, because everyone's skin reacts differently. I would say try some Asian brands because they address our skin needs, it sounds weird doesn't it? I've been trying to figure out what I should put in my Asian brand post, but it's gotten so long. It may have to be a series. Yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I'm gonna say the sunscreen. I use that sunscreen all the time, plus another one from my salon and they work really great for me. I'm all for no more sun damage on my face. But if you love that Hourglass Primer and it works really well for you, then use it babe! And don't feel bad about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your plan to use the sunscreen regularly (I'm ALL for protecting the face!) and the primer for special occasions is a perfect plan. Clearly you love the primer, and for those occasions it'll give you a lil something extra that'll make you feel that much more special in those moments. At least, that's how I feel about products I only use on certain occasions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd vote for Hourglass over Neutrogena any day. Though, I haven't even tried the Hourglass primer YET but the Neutrogena sunscreen gave me little bumps all over and stung my eyes >:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww you make me wanna try the Hourglass primer xD and serious LOL at the search haha and I always felt Neutrogena sunscreens feel so greasy xP but I used the dry touch one so maybe I'll try this one come summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Denise - Lover and soulmate? LOL! I got interested in it when Mary reviewed it not too long ago. Now I HAVE to try!

    @D - I don't buy Asian brands because the Asians who sell them are scary and never listen to anything I say. Then they tear me from head to toe and my self-esteem is in itty bitty PIECES after. Nope, not going near them!

    @Tracy - I'm thinking that I will keep using it and just get over the price thing at some point. Thanks!

    @Toya - I'm running low on Hourglass at the moment so I'm going to test out using the sunscreen only for a few weeks and see if I can live without the primer. Oy... why can't we have everything all the time?

    @Isabella - Try a sample! ;) I'm not a big fan of Neutrogena in general but this particular sunscreen is really good! It's the least greasiest sunscreen ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ashlex - It was THIS particular sunscreen that gave you bumps?? It doesn't sting my eyes but now I'm wary of bumps forming. :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me really curious to try this sunscreen. Yours isn't the first rave I've seen either. I'm very hesitant though, because the last time I used a Neutrogena moisturizer it broke me out horribly. Horribly! So I've been staying away from Neutrogena since.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I have a hate-on for some of the Neutrogena cleansers and moisturizers! Not all of them but a lot of the plain old original formulas were NOT kind to my face. That's why I helf off on this sunscreen for as long as I did, but it's really really good! I wouldn't have risked it for $20 but $5 was too good to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you found an alternative, but I honestly feel that if you found something that works, go for it! So long as it's not like $1000/0.5g or something like that, you know? Sometimes it's so much more work to find a cheaper dupe, and then your skin is unhappy with all of the trial and error. Glad to hear you have two alternatives, though

    ReplyDelete
  12. The trial and error is inevitable with me. I complain about my skin but the compulsive guinea pig in me can't seem to help testing this and that! Hmmm... I wonder if that's the next compulsion I need to quell. :/

    Now that you and Tracy are encouraging me to keep on using Hourglass, I'm thinking that I'm stupid for not having picked up a new bottle duruing the VIB sale. Ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A replacement for Shiseido sounds good. I'm using the UV Protector and I love it! Just that, it's expensive. If this can replace it, I'm in! Will go look for it at the local pharmacies. I hope we have it here :-) Thanks for the link, Liz-bob!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just commented but can't see it, so I hope I'm not doing a double.
    Just said thank you for the link to this review! I'm using the Shiseido UV Protector and I love the texture. If this is similar, I'd definitely buy this instead since it's cheaper. Will go look for it at the local pharmacies and fingers crossed we have it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old posts are being moderated because of excessive spam, so I have to approve comments first. :)

      Both Aveeno and Neutrogena are really solid drugstore sunscreens, and now there are also a lot of primers with high SPF as well (MAC has one with SPF 50). Options are endless! Hope this works out for you. :)

      Delete
  15. Thank you so, so much for your suggestion. I have the Hourglass Mineral primer, but wher I live the price is INSANE !!!! So I gave a try to the Neutrogena and Yes ! it is a very very good alternative. I have super oily skin in the summer and I have to say this sunscreen does not break me out and plus I get the benefit of a sunscreen. Thank you for sharing :)
    - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie - I'm so happy that this works for you! :) And also happy to come across another Hourglass lover. :)

      Delete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.