Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Frederic Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Shampoo & Glossing Conditioner

You didn't misread the title: it really says BRILLIANT GLOSSING shampoo and just GLOSSING conditioner. I was wondering why upscale Fekkai conditioners showed up at low-class Winners and the answer is that Fekkai repackaged, renamed the glossing line and perhaps reformulated. It's not enough just to say glossing. It has to be BRILLIANT glossing. Well, at CDN$30 per bottle, it had better be.


I got two of the shampoos for free during a shampoo exchange at Holt Renfrew. I guess Fekkai was promoting the new stuff and apparently the old shampoos we brought in for the exchange went to charity. I would never even consider purchasing these at regular price. But because I had the shampoos, it seemed only fair that I get the matching conditioner to really test out the full benefit of the line. Fortunately the older stock (the non-brilliant glossing types) showed up at Winners and I snagged a conditioner for about half the regular price. Even then I was dilly-dallying over it. I'm normally a $3 shampoo/conditioner girl despite some expensive taste in makeup and skincare. Hair care just doesn't excite me.


Brilliant Glossing Shampoo


Ingredients:


Blurb/instructions:


First Impression: The bottle is TINY compared to the giant vats I usually buy. Still, now that both of my sisters no longer live with me, I can have this all to myself and not worry about running out any time soon.

Upon Usage: The shampoo looks like a gel and has the squishy feel of one. It takes a long time to lather compared to most other shampoos. I took it as a good thing. It's a part of the brilliant glossing action. It'll help with the dry scalp situation too.

Final Thoughts: I don't see any brilliant glossing results but it seems to be a much gentler shampoo than the ones I'm used to and I don't dislike it. The texture and longer-than-usual lathering still feels weird, but I can live with it.

(Re)purchase? No freaking way. The result isn't obvious enough to warrant the outrageous price. I don't know if this has better effect on people with straighter hair but my hair definitely is not visibly glossier.

Glossing Conditioner


Ingredients:


Blurb/instructions:


First Impression: Again, tiny bottle. But I don't mind the conditioner being small, simply because I use shampoo more than conditioners. There are days when I skip conditioning and put my hair up into a bun. Bad, I know. But it's a time-honoured tradition for lazy gals who can't be bothered to mess with unruly hair!!

Upon Usage: I really had some high expectation for this because the glossing effect is usually much more evident with the conditioners than with shampoos. It didn't feel any more moisturizing or sleek than a regular drugstore conditioner. Still, I thought perhaps it was one of those things that would show more visible results over time.

Final Thoughts: I remain disappointed. It is lightweight as indicated on the bottle but definitely not extra "glossing." I'm pretty sure I saw better results with Redken All Soft which is slightly cheaper and not as pretentiously marketed.

Repurchase? Never. Not for CDN$27.50. Not even for $10.

Feel free to let me know if you've experienced different results with the Glossing/Brilliant Glossing line. Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone simply because of the outrageous price tag. They're not bad products but not so good that you should be paying more than $60 for the duo. The shampoo is on its way to the empties bag after a few more washes. I am so so so so soooooo glad that I didn't pay for it.

Do you shell out for expensive shampoos and conditioners? What has been worth the cost? For a miracle-worker, I might consider shelling out!

14 comments:

  1. I remember trying this years ago. I picked it up in the states before the products were here. Exactly the same thoughts as you about it. His glaze product works well, but the Aveeno one is only $7 as opposed to $30, so yeah. I think his stuff is overpriced and just average.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't recall a time where I spent big $$ on a shampoo or conditioner. It's such a frivolous product to me that it just doesn't seem worth it.
    My sister relies heavily on the FF Brilliant Glossing Cream though and it does seem to make her digital perm look more shiny and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was actually something ive been really interested in trying for a while. ive heard such good things abt the glossing cream. and i totally agree with you that i skimp on hair products x_x i dont even really buy shampoo or conditioner xD i just use watevers in the house which is stuff ppl give to us or we get as consolation prizes in church outings. i recently bought a nexxus shampoo and i actually think its pretty good. i also think aveeno is pretty good as well but they're both drugstore-esque products so xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cousin swears by this brand but she uses the one for curly hair (de-frizz, I think and it does work wonders on her). I used to shell out so much for shampoo and conditioner when I used to regularly get my hair color done. I've tried L'anza, Matrix, Paul Mitchell and Redken. Out of the 4, Redken worked the best for me as it kept my red tones intact for longer. That to me was worth it since I didn't have to color as often (less salon visits, less money spent). I've since downgraded though and opted for Lush henna bars for color that I can do by myself so the $3 kind works just as well as any $30 one. Plus, my hair actually feels less damaged now so it all worked out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tracy - Oh, so glad to hear it's not just me! You and I are kind of hair twins, eh? ;)

    @Ashley - I thought the glossing cream was okay but could be a touch greasy looking. My sister also liked it a lot though!

    @Isabella - I've tried the mist and the cream and thought those were pretty good... but still not worthy of their price tags. I'm not a fan of Fekkai. Drugstore goods FTW!!!

    @Carmela - There's a de-frizz line for curly hair? How did I miss that? I refuse to colour my hair. It seems to be more trouble than it's worth for all that subsequent maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, my hair is relatively low-maintenance, aside from the fact that my scalp does get dry. I'm using a $2 drugstore shampoo right now LOL, but I'll pay up to $10 if a shampoo works well for me. As for conditioner, well I don't use that at all, so my conditioner budget is $0 :P

    Interesting review! Fekkai products tend to be pretty hyped, so I was wondering if they had magical powers or something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad I didn't fork out the money to by this. I've heard great things about Fekkai, but have not been convinced enough to spend so much on the products. I don't really stick with a shampoo/conditioner, I usually check out the ones that are on special at the drugstore lol. I guess I'm not a hair maintenance girl either. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Makeup Morsels - Yeah, I think $10 is about as high as I'd go with drugstore products. I would pay more for Redken or MoroccanOil which actually work, but this Fekkai stuff has put me off forever.

    @Stacey - I've never actually heard great things about Fekkai from regular people - it's always hyped on magazines or by SAs... but where are the great testimonials? Your hair looks fab anyway!

    NOTE TO GIRLIE BLOGGER: For the last time, stop leaving links to your websites on my blog. You have a public profile that links to those sites which anyone can click on to view. There is no need to spam my page with your links. This is the third time I've warned you. It's exceptionally rude of you to use the commenting system to pimp your own blogs. ENOUGH ALREADY.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I feel the same way about shampoo and conditioner. I like Dove, it works well and totally affordable. But when I am in the mood for total insanity I love the Aveda line. It's truly fantastic, but lunacy has not occurred at all this year. I think it's the idea of buying a product that you will use for a few minutes and then watch just go down the drain that makes you feel like you aren't spending wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely a cosmetics snob, but also have a strong frugal streak, so I tend go with drugstore conditioners and high-end shampoos - I go through conditioner far too quickly to be spending the big bucks, but I use shampoo very infrequently, so I don't mind spending more because it lasts. I usually go with high-end deep conditioners too - my hair is mega-dry so I like to have the best quality to hopefully battle that problem!! But sometimes I wonder if it really makes a difference in the end - are the ingredients really that much better...?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @D - Oooh, I hadn't even thought about that! But I don't think that's the reason for me. I just don't like having to fuss with hair and if it doesn't help my cause AND takes my money, I'll get extra upset about it. I've used Dove and like it okay. As for Aveda... I might try the full range of their hair care products some day. I've heard good stuff.

    @Toya - I think if there's a particular issue, it's worth going all out to try to manage it in the best possible way! A good conditioner does make a world of a difference! My hair's quite normal - I just want the frizz that comes with the texture to be better tamed. I don't even care what's in the ingredients as long as it works!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a drugstore shampoo/conditioner girl, too, though lately I've thought about switching to a shampoo that didn't contain SLS. We'll see, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, do a review if it's good! I have a Rusk sulfate-free in my lineup somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.