Wednesday, February 29, 2012

February Purchases

Without further ado, my three legitimized purchases for the month of February, as outlined in my Limited Buy Plan for 2012:

1. Oceane eau de toilette by Outremer (mentioned in the recent "Water and Sand" post)


2. L'Occitane 10% Shea Butter Ultra Rich Body Scrub (received 15% off as well as a sample of the famous hand cream*)


3. Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Dream (Full review to follow.)


Purchases that do not count:

KeratinPerfect PerfectLight Deluxe 1.5-Inch Infrared Smoothing Iron (reviewed)


LuckyScent perfume samples (hopefully to be reviewed)


By Terry Foundation Brush (found for a steal at Winners -- but now I wish I had held out for a more dense brush with shorter bristles)



L'Occitane Hand Cream shown above (*promotion sample)

---------------------------------------------

I struggled mostly with the temptation to pick up Chanel June while waiting around for Lippmann's Mermaid Dreams. In the end, I had to pick and choose between my fluctuating desires and deemed that June's unique apricot shade, while very pretty in the bottle, was not very flattering on my skin tone. And obviously, there are plenty of loop holes to exploit in this "limited buy" plan for the year. I have a lot of room for more styling tools, makeup brushes and perfumes. But since those three categories are of things that I need to be further educated on, I think it's okay to add a few more to my current collections.

I imagine that I'll definitely be purchasing less in March, though, with the Australia trip coming up in April. Despite March being birthday month, I have not given myself an exemption and the 3/month + lippie/shadow/liner ban still hold. What this limited buy is teaching me is that I still have an awful of products to wade through (& enjoy!) and it really does pay to be more picky with the products I choose to purchase.

For some more inspirational words, see how my other "ban buddies" are doing!

Latoya @ Beauty Obsessed (sticking rigorously to a limited buy)
Tracy @ Beauty Reflections (keeping strong to an indefinite blush ban)
Dani @ call it beauty (who decided to go on a spending ban recently)
Larie @ Eye Heart It (going strong on an admirable no-buy!)
Ashley @ Make Up Kismet (enjoying her beautiful shadow palettes while on a limited buy)
Makeup Morsels (sticking strong to her limited buy/budget)
Vita @ Making up 4 my age (hitting pan like crazy on the impossible P10P)

31 comments:

  1. You found By Terry at Winners?! Mannn, the Winners over her suck! >.<

    Also, I am still desperately hoping that somebody dupes Chanel June. It's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that Revlon is ON IT!

      I have three good Winners near me: at work, at school, at home. At least one is bound to have excellent stock. The one near school is also near the Holt Renfrew flagship so you can imagine how well stocked that one is!

      Delete
  2. By Terry at Winners. Now I'm REALLY hoping my funding works out for grad school so I can move to Toronto and BUY EVERYTHING EVER AT THAT WINNERS. Also that Deborah Lippman polish is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closest Winners to Ryerson is College Park and they have some good stuff! I don't go there often but my sister used to call me from there, like, "I found ____ for $xx! IS IT WORTH IT?"

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous of your perfume samples, I'll have to order from LuckyScent or Perfume Court some time soon! But then... I do have too many perfumes. I'm working hard on killing an old present from the Mr. I stretched my ban by getting a theBalm bundle at TJMaxx for $13. I mean, $13 for 5 products?! I just couldn't resist...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you on a ban, too?? Would have linked you if I had known! And yeah, I wouldn't have been able to resist a theBalm bundle either. A good deal is a good deal!!

      I need to finish at least five samples before I could even think of getting anything more. But I've been wondering about that list forever and just thought why not?

      Delete
  4. You are so strict with yourself..but I admire it. Keep on! Doesn't Winners have some of the best surprises :) and I am so excited for you to be going to OZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't that strict but thank you, Tracy. :) I'm excited too!

      Delete
  5. Oooh-you are not going to be very proud of me tomorrow though. I had a tiny set back. Tiny.
    It had to happen once, right? Love that polish! Can hardly wait to see your pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyyyyyy... is this the post I have been waiting for?!

      Delete
    2. Tracy: Really?!? But it's tiny and you were so good for so long. :)

      Delete
  6. Liz, congratulations on your restraint and fine purchases. You have come a long way since you started your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear, but we shall see if this sticks! That was just the first month and felt like forever, to tell the truth. :)

      Delete
  7. Winners is definitely getting better (random) stock. I saw Fusion Beauty cream blushes there last Sunday for $6.99!
    And ooooo Mermaid's Dream. It's so magical and mermaid tail-y!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a ton of those as well! Was tempted but really didn't need another blush. ;(

      Delete
  8. I'm confused, why don't perfume samples count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I say so!

      Reason being that it's a big arena to experiment in and I didn't want to lose opportunities to keep testing my nose. But racking up bottles will be problematic for me.

      Delete
  9. Liz, I wish I'd allowed myself a few purchases per month! I must admit I have a bit of a loophole in skin care so I've been buying serums, lotions and cleansers as treats instead of makeup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's plenty of treats then! And I really do think that P10P is the toughest of makeup challenges - but you are doing amazing!!! :D

      Delete
  10. Oooh, perfume samples! Exciting!!!

    The ban is actually going quite well for everyone, it seems! It makes me reconsider what would have been impulse buys, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everything is an impulse buy for me. Must admit: I miss impulse buys!!!

      Delete
  11. Ooh, what is the L'Occitane scrub like? Sounds divine!! You're doing great Liz with the low/no buy, congrats! You guys are all kicking my butt, I feel like I've barely set any standards for myself and am still buying freely, though that's gonna run out soon when I (ironically) stop running out of products...I only have a lippie or two nearing completion, and then that's it - it's all in for the long haul. Thankfully I've been doing a handful of swaps too which is helping. And I agree that if nothing else, it's been helping me be much more selective about what I buy. ANYWAY back to you - yay for a successful February! And I'm super-excited to see your swatches and review of Mermaid's Dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the scrub yet! Trying to finish up a Fruit & Passions Monoi scrub first. I was curious about it and was getting 15% off and L'Occitane never has sales, so... :)

      I don't feel like I'm kicking anyone's butt. I got a whole whack of stuff here and I'm on like half a dozen different types of bans. It's impossible for me to not shop, some way or another!

      Delete
  12. Liz, my gorgeous friend, you need (see how I utilize a verb with stress tones) to get a flat top brush. I have one from Sonia Kushak and it is my favorite brush for a flawless finish. I am not in love with the paddle brush for foundation. It's hit or miss, you run the risk of streakiness.

    I love that you have an outlined restrictive plan for the month. It itemizes what your goals are. And after taking all that effort to plan you tend to want to stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get Sonia Kashuk brushes here, otherwise I'd have a whole army of them. :( I wanted the new Shiseido foundation brush but it has yet to make an appearance around these parts. Buying By Terry for cheap is too good to pass up!

      I love making plans but I hate sticking to them. Now I feel trapped! lol

      Delete
  13. Hi, I just found your blog via twitter, and I hope you don't mind me poking in. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from you, wallowing in my hoard, but hopefully I can be inspired by your progress. =)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your blog and thanks for the visit and nice comment!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Commenting is open to any registered user.

In order to reduce spam, comments containing self-promotional links and URLs will not be approved. Also, comments for posts older than 10 days are moderated and will not appear on the page until they have been approved.