Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Inventory #10.1: Nail Polish (updated Aug 2012)

This is a long one, people. Grab a drink and get comfortable! For reference, here's last year's inventory at 85-90 bottles. I more than doubled that, then reduced slightly, and now want to reduce a bit more.

Obviously I got carried away with collecting nail polish last year. At one point I had a limit of 3 per month, but that got done away with when so many great shades and collections came out. I weep when I remember the simple collection that consisted of a vampy Sally Hansen, an Essie nude, a moody OPI and Chanel Blue Satin. A part of me longs for that simplicity while another part of me greedily wants to keep hoarding more nail polish.

As you peruse the list, you'll see that there are some items crossed out. That means that I've given them away to family and friends. There are more that I need to weed out, but I don't want to do that if it means I'll just be hauling home more similar shades in the future. Maybe I should just keep them as a reference/reminder to not get so carried away??? Decisions, decisions. In any case, here we go!

a-England (reviewed)
Arthur
Guinevere
Morgan Le Fay



Anna Sui
#100 (shown)
#107 (reviewed)

I went to Sears and checked the numbers of these bottles against the ones at the Anna Sui counter and they match! It's just that the bottles look different. The dress-shape bottles are available in Asia.


Look, they're friends already!


Bourjois Paris Very Vernis
Bleu Asphalt (limited edition) (reviewed)
Rose Lounge



butterLONDON
Lady Muck (untried)
Marrow (shown)
Pearly Queen (reviewed)
Wallis (reviewed)
Yummy Mummy



Chanel
April (limited edition) (reviewed)
Black Pearl (reviewed)
Blue Boy (untried)
Blue Rebel (untried)
Blue Satin
Coromandel (shown; untried)
Coco Blue (reviewed)
Graphite (limited edition) (reviewed)
Holiday (limited edition)
Miami Peach (reviewed)
Paradoxal (shown)
Peridot (limited edition) (reviewed)
Pulsion (limited edition) (reviewed)
Quartz (untried)
Riva (limited edition) (shown)
Rouge Carat (limited edition) (shown; untried)
Rouge Noir (untried)





China Glaze
Custom Kicks (untried)
For Audrey (reviewed)
IX
Midtown Magic
Pelican Gray (untried)
Recycle (reviewed)
Trendsetter (untried)
VII
Watermelon Rind
Westside Warrior (untried)



Always one forgotten!


ck Calvin Klein (discontinued)
Barefoot (shown)
Sheer Sparkle
Steel




Color Club
Mrs. Robinson (reviewed)



Deborah Lippmann
Across the Universe (reviewed)
Bad Romance (reviewed)
Brown Eyed Girl (reviewed)
Girls Just Want to Have Fun (reviewed)
Happy Birthday (reviewed)
I Know What Boys Like
I Love The Nightlife (shown)
Lady Sings the Blues (reviewed)
Lara's Theme (reviewed)
Mermaid’s Dream (reviewed)
Shake Your Groove Thing (shown; untried)
Stairway to Heaven
Superstar (reviewed)
Wicked Game (reviewed)






Dior
Apparat (limited edition) (reviewed)
Blue Label (reviewed)
Camel (limited edition) (reviewed)
Exquis (limited edition) (reviewed)
Gris Montaigne (reviewed)
Merveille (limited edition) (reviewed)
New World Purple
Nirvana (reviewed)
Orchid (limited edition)
Poison (limited edition) (untried)
Red Dhalia
Rock Coat (limited edition) (reviewed)
St. Tropez (limited edition) (shown)
Tuxedo (limited edition) (untried)
Underground (limited edition) (reviewed)




Essie
Absolutely Shore (duplicate)
Absolutely Shore (reviewed)
Aruba Blue (untried)
Bangle Jangles (mini) (reviewed)
Bobbing for Baubles (mini) (reviewed)
Borrowed & Blue (shown)
Carry On
Cocktail Bling (mini) (reviewed)
Da Bush (reviewed)
e-nuf is e-nuf (shown)
Fair Game (untried)
Geranium??? (unlabelled and on loan with sis)
Great Expectations (untried)
Masquerade Belle (reviewed)
Mint Candy Apple (shown)
Mojito Madness (shown)
Over the Top
Pinkadelic (untried)
Sand Tropez (reviewed)
Sandy Beach
Sew Psyched
Size Matters (mini) (reviewed)
Smokin' Hot (reviewed)
Smooth Sailing (untried)
Trophy Wife
Very Structured (reviewed)
Wicked (shown)





GOSH
Wild Lilac (reviewed)

Um, I wish I hadn't given that away. :-/

Illamasqua
Phallic

Thank you, Carrie! XOXO



L.A. Colors Art Deco Nail Art Lacquer
Black (untried)
White (untried)

In case I ever want to dabble in nail art...which I never do.



Lise Watier
Festive Chic (limited edition)
Fun in the Sun (limited edition) (reviewed)
Ȋle Déserte (reviewed)

Lise Watier recently released a line of permanent shades with redesigned bottles. I must say that they don't look anywhere near as appealing as these limited edition shades. They're also way overpriced at $20 a pop.



L'Oreal (discontinued/re-released)
Blue Laguna
Desert Dawn


L'Oreal has re-released a new series of nail polish and any older bottles are probably now either in the clearance bins or on e-retailers only. I must say that the new L'Oreal shades look great and the shade range reminds me a lot of Essie.

MAC (limited edition/discontinued/re-released)
Dark Angel
Formidable
Hyperion (shown)
Immortal Gold (shown)
In the Buff (reviewed)
Light Affair
Ming Blue
Mischievous Mint
Rain of Flowers (untried)
Soiree (reviewed)

MAC no longer carries a permanent nail polish line and only produces limited shades. I'm sure that some of these colours will be re-released in the future.

Yep, they're being re-released!




Maybelline Forever Strong
Natural Beauty
Robust Red


Misa
It's You!
High Waist Hue
Moody Models (reviewed)
Office Polish-Tics
PaintMyNails@Work
Pay Days are Happy Days
Working Hard or Hardly Working




Nails Inc.
Baker Street
Hampstead Gardens

NARS
Kismet (limited edition) (untried)
Schiap (limited edition)

I'm done with NARS nail polish. Not so special despite their oh-so-special LEs and pricing.



Nicole by OPI
It's Possible 
Kiss Me At Midnight



NYX Nails
Mango Cafe (reviewed)

N.Y.C.
Bryant Park
Chinatown
East Village


OPI
A-Taupe the Space Needle (shown)
Absolutely Alice (reviewed)
Ali's Big Break (reviewed)
Big Apple Red
Big Hair...Big Nails
Black Cherry Chutney
Black Shatter (reviewed)
Bronzed To Perfection
Chapel of Love
Chocolate Moose
Cuckoo For This Color
Dusk Over Cairo
Green-wich Village (untried)
Jade is the New Black (untried)
Louvre Me Louvre Me Not (untried)
Meet Me on the Star Ferry (untried)
No Room for the Blues (untried)
San Tan-tonio (shown)
Suzi Skis in the Pyrenees
You Don't Know Jacques (shown)

Sorry, but I can't keep up with OPI. I think their shade names are unbearably stupid and it's impossible to tell what's LE and what's permanent. WHATEVER.




Orly
Androgynie



Rescue Beauty Lounge
Piu Mosso (shown)

Thanks, Carrie! XOXO



Revlon
Bell
Lunar
Minted
(shown)
Rock
Sheer Cotton
(reviewed)
Silver
(shown)
Star
(shown)
Totally Toffee

Whimsical (untried)*

The old formulas were so awful that I got rid of all of them and swore never to buy Revlon again. Well, now they've revamped their collection with a bunch of new lines and fabulous dupes of designer shades. But I think I'll just stay away and grow the current collections, not start another.

*Received as gift

Rimmel 60 Seconds
Grey Matter (shown)



Rimmel Lasting Finish Pro
Steel Grey (reviewed)
Stiletto Red
(reviewed)


Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure
Evening Fog
Lavender Cloud (reviewed)
Mousseline (shown)
Pink Slip (untried)
Sequin Scandal (limited edition) (reviewed)
Touch of Mink
Wet Clay




Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear
Almond Crunch
Black Out (shown)
Blue Me Away (somewhere in the Philippines...)
Celeb City (shown)
Emerald City (untried)
Grey Area
Gunmetal
Mint Sorbet (untried)
Red Carpet (untried)
Strobe Light (untried)




Sally Hansen Insta-Dry
Bronze Ablaze
Lightening
Racey Rouge
Uptempo Plum
(duplicate - silly me, I bought it twice)

Uptempo Plum
Whirlwind White



Sally Hansen New Lengths
Golden Girl

Sally Hansen No Chip 10 Day Nail Colour (discontinued)
Night Blooms (shown)

My oldest nail polish. Going on 14 years and still good as new. (I close the lid super tightly.)



Sally Hansen Salon (discontinued)
Honeydew
Mangoes Loco
(shown)


Sephora by OPI
Already Famous
Caliente Coral (shown)
Dark Room (shown)
Havana Dreams (reviewed)
High Maintenance (shown)
Metro Chic (shown)
Never Enough Shoes
Ocean Love Potion
Queen of Everything
Rumba Romance
Run With It!
Slushied (untried)
Teal We Meet Again (untried)
Under My Trenchcoat




Sephora Collection 
No. 24

SpaRitual
Can You Dig It
Hush
Hypnotic
Quiet Storm



Tarina Tarantino (discontinued)
Starchild (reviewed)



Zoya
Bevin
Envy (reviewed)
Indigo
Jules
Skylar
Tamsen



Will do a separate post on the following nail care items, but here is the list FYI:

Essie Protein Base Coat (currently using - reviewed)
GOSH Matt Effect Top Coat
OPI Top Coat (reviewed)
OPI Nail Lacquer Thinner
OPI Rapid Dry Spray
OPI Rapid Dry Top Coat (currently using - reviewed)
OPI Drip Dry (reviewed)
Sally Hansen Complete Care Extra Moisturizing 4-in-1 Treatment
Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover
Seche Vite Fast Drying Top Coat (reviewed)

Okay, let the judging begin! Clearly, for an average person I own WAY too many bottles. BUT... if I were to open up a nail salon with this collection, wouldn't you want to get your nails done with me? ;-)

How many bottles do you have?

49 comments:

  1. So many pretties!!
    I need to inventory my collection too! I think I have around 100 bottles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooh! Is it just me or did it grow this year?

      Delete
  2. I would want to get my nails done with you. Especially with your collection of Diors. I should have started collecting Diors a long time ago, especially since I want so many of their past LEs. ._.

    This post is so organized with all of the links! I don't know how much nail polish I have. I've tried to convince myself that the collection wasn't that big, but now they are overflowing the little bin I had for them and I have to come to terms with the fact that I have too many. Ugggggh. I think I'll swim in denial a little while longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dior has a habit of re-releasing their LEs, so I wouldn't be too devastated.

      I'm kind of mortified now that I posted this but whatever. I knew when I had to create a third box that I was in trouble. :-/

      Delete
  3. This is what you call dedication to blogging. You should make this into a page and update it like a living document.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rae. Actually I am going to keep up this list as a part of the inventory tab. Hopefully we'll see it reducing rather than growing this year, lol.

      Delete
  4. This is incredible! I love how you managed to have so many difficult colors. I don't see 5 of the same (which has certainly happened to me).

    There are also a lot of lemmings that have resulted from reading this post....uh oh for my wallet.

    I admire you! I'm scared to do this myself....I don't think I want to know how many I have but right now....I've filled one drawer and have started on one of those plastic storage boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh indeed. The nail polishes sneak up on you because they seem so harmless when you're buying 2 or 3. Then suddenly you have a mountain.

      I'm definitely going to reduce this collection. I wear one or two colours a week and there's more than enough to last me for years without duplicating!

      Delete
  5. I was scrolling through this post looking like this --> O.O

    Dayum, gurl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phew! I broke out a sweat just scrolling, lol! I even listened to you: I didn't grab a drink - made a sandwich instead (you know: for the energy I'd need to keep up with you!!). In answer to your final questions: A) yes, I'd LOVE to get my nails done with you and B) you don't want to know (how many bottles, that is). I think my OPI's alone number over 300. I believe I mentioned to you that over the Christmas holidays, my daughter had the idea to create a spreadsheet/inventory list for me, and sadly we never got to finish (and then she began her 2nd semester) - as of Monday's she's off on March break, so hopefully my own inventory will be done and I'll be able to post....that is if the new collections would pause a bit and give me a chance to catch up! Thanks for sharing, Liz...I love seeing what other people hoard, er....collect (glad to know I'm not alone in this madness!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at the sandwich!! Eugenia, you're so funny. :D

      I'm still waiting to see what your incredible stash must look like! And considering that you get sent entire collections for review by multiple sources, it's not even your fault for having so many!! Your daughter is a gem and I may need to borrow her if I don't get a grip on my collection. ;)

      Delete
  7. Wow. You really like nail polish. I like the neutral tones the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved nail polish...and everything else! lol

      Delete
  8. I had a mini haul last week and figured it would be best to take an inventory of my collection now, rather than later. I have 176 bottles with a few untrieds - feel free to take a look!

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgosrH4SJLJidDBRMlZ2REt3TjBRNF9yN3RzcGFtemc#gid=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOLY COW. Now that is organization! I totally need to do the same.

      Delete
  9. This was so fun to see! I have no idea how many polishes I have, I've got to count some time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AHHHHH too many pretties all in one place I can't handle it!
    I can't believe you counted them all! I am in awe. Suddenly I don't feel so bad about my blushes. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's easier to get carried away with nail polish than blush since NP collections arrive in sets of dozens from every brand! I kind of have to count... it drives me crazy NOT knowing how many I'm hoarding!

      Delete
  11. This post took you a while to write; I feel like I need a few days to process it! I want to comment on all the gorgeous shades you own in depth...but that could just get crazy, so I'll refrain from doing so :P Let's just say - while your stash has grown, you've got some truly wonderful brands and shades that are well deserving, and don't you worry for a minute that you have too many - it's inevitable with all the beautiful shades that continue to come out, that your gonna keep these ones and keep adding. Don't stress, and just know that you are hanging on to some awesome shades that will soon have other brothers and sisters to join them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... You make me feel so much better! Thanks, Toya! :*)

      But I have to admit that more than a few times, I was like "Yikes!!! Forgot all about this." Considering how many untrieds there are, it may be time to take a breather. I'll keep this tally going and we shall see. :)

      Delete
  12. Liz, I'm totally impressed with both your collection and how you catalogued it all in this post. You have brands of polish that I've never even heard of though I'm guessing there are some that are only available in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the only ones available to us and not to the US might be Anna Sui and Bourjois. A-England ships internationally and Spa Ritual can be found at select spas. :)

      Thanks for your lovely, supportive comment!

      Delete
  13. Oh yes, I would definitely go the the nail salon of Liz! 14 years, that's so impressive. I need to start closing my polish bottles tighter I think. And woot, way to write everything down! Maybe I need to start counting things as a deterrent...it would make me rethink future purchases.

    Slightly unrelated, but why does Asia get all the cute packaging? We need dress form polish bottles on this side of the ocean too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I close so tightly that it hurts to reopen! But I've never had a bottle go dry - even that notoriously goopy Seche Vite!

      I would be so happy to give manicures to you & the wigeon. ;)

      Delete
  14. Jaw officially on the ground. I can't get over this..and I can't believe how many you haven't yet tried. Wow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was...more than I suspected, too. I think a new project just gave birth! Try the untrieds!

      Delete
  15. Im your latest follower and I am totally blown away by your collection!! If you really did open a salon, I would be more than happy to join the queue :D

    How do you store your polishes? Do you throw out the boxes? Do they sit displayed on a shelf? My apologies if you have already addressed this question in an earlier post (:

    -Xen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Xen! Thanks so much for the lovely comment. Liz salon would be honored to have you!

      Unfortunately storage is an issue and the poor things sit in shoeboxes (3 boxes). I keep the original boxes for Chanel & Dior in case I ever want to sell them, but I toss the others. And I don't mind answering Qs - there are a lot of old posts and I don't expect people to read everything!

      Delete
  16. I think I died and went to nailpolish heaven. This post is making me feel so much better after my terrible morning! Which brands are your favorites? Is Chanel really worth it? I seriously can't justify the price for nailpolish.. I had my eyes closed when I got the Butter London one! :P

    The royal blue Essie one (second picture, top left) looks sooooooooooooooooo nice.. but I kinda hate ESSIE and how the brush is so friggin small. I do like the colors and packaging though.

    How can you only have ONE Orly polishes!? Denise (or was it Mary) mentioned that they are not as readily available in Toronto? For me, they are the BEST in formulation and the brush is nice and big (wide) so it doesn't take forever to apply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chanel is entirely worth it if you find a unique shade that is really pretty (e.g. Graphite, Peridot, Nouvelle Vague, Black Pearl, etc.). :D

      My opinion might be slightly skewed, though, as I have 16 Chanel polishes and 27 Butter London ones...

      And, I don't even have ONE Orly polish. :P

      Delete
    2. Irene: For Chanel, I try to stick to really unique colours that I don't have. But of course seeing the Chanel label does something crazy to the brain sometimes. I find the formula is usually good though not the best. It's a race to be trendy and edgy more than anything else when it comes to designer shades. And yeah, Orly is kind of hard to find around here!

      Delete
  17. I love inventories! I have a comprehensive spreadsheet of all my polishes--it includes brand, polish name, collection name, collection season/year, color description (I'm lazy about that though), purchase price, and purchase date. I keep track of whether a polish is tried or untried, what percentage of each brand is tried, and I keep a separate spreadsheet that breaks down my polish purchases by month (I don't like to look at the one too much, it's very sobering!). I would love to share it except that for the sake of my vanity, I don't want other people to know how much I've spent on my polish collection! I have...quite a bit of polish. In fact my number of untrieds* alone is a multiple of your total number of polishes! At this point it seems almost quaint to me when people have 150-200 polishes and other people are really amazed because I know my stash is REALLY over the top. I have been halfheartedly trying to purge but I'm really terrible about getting rid of polish--I can almost always come up with a good reason why it should stay in my stash.

    (Note: I consider a polish untried if I have never worn it as a manicure, I try everything on a nail or a couple of nails right after I buy it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOWZERS. That's even more organized than lovesaraanne further up in the comments! You're a hardcore polish addict and if that's YOUR THING, there's nothing wrong with that. For me, I try to cut down because I love EVERYTHING and there is simply not enough room, money and time for it all. But if polish is your focus, by all means, enjoy your marvelous collection!

      Delete
  18. It has now just dawned on me that if I did a nail polish inventory post, it would be twice as long as this.

    Jesus Christ.

    On that note... all these pictures of nail polish make me SO HAPPY. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! I have some catching up to do then?!?

      You know, I like scrolling through this list, too. The anal side of me is like, "YES, THERE IS A RUNNING TALLY - FINALLY FOR F#CK'S SAKE!"

      I seriously can't wait for you to do one. I WILL DIE!

      Delete
  19. *sings* This is the post that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend.....
    ---
    Earlier today, I had a 15 minute break today so I decided I would start reading your epic post. Not surprisingly, I still wasn't finished and now that I'm at home, it takes another 15 minutes. A whole half an hour to read one blog post. For why? Because this post is full of epic beauty! I won't judge you though because you've acquired many beautiful ones, especially A England. Actually, let's be honest, your whole collection is beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sings off key* ...and that's how ALLLL my posts usually gooooooooooooo!

      Thank you for not judging me, Ashlex! <3

      Delete
  20. Ah Liz, this was the post I was waiting for and it was worth the wait because I love your taste in nail polish!! I want all your Chanel's and Deborah Lippmann's (we don't have the Lippmanns in Australia). Greedy me?? Yes!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. !!!

      TRAVESTY! And is it horrendously expensive to have Lippmann shipped over there? I feel so sad for you guys. :(

      But then you're always teasing me with your Essence shades, so... ;)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I know I guess we're even then....

      Delete
  21. Hooray, I am not alone. I love your stash by the way. I have the Sally Hansen Mint Sorbet, it's so cute for a polka dot mani, I do it with white dots. Sometimes a little to sweet, but cute none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're right, it would be so cute for polka dot manis. I haven't tried it yet but its presence keeps me from buying more minty green polishes I won't wear!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Liz...this is incredible!! I'm so impressed that you counted everything AND photographed it all AND posted them with links!
    I haven't been as crazy with my nail polishes as say my lispticks, but I don't really want to count it all either. Lol. Also, you Chanel collection makes me swoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was driving me crazy to not have an organized post to keep track! I HAD TO. lol

      You never know when you'll fall down that nail polish slippery slope... it's awfully difficult to get back up once you do!

      Delete
  24. Whoa! Awesome collection! How do you decide what to wear everyday? Everything looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to use an "untried" and weed things out periodically. But usually I just go with my mood and pick something out of the first box I touch. Sometimes a certain shade will come to mind and I'll pick that out to go with an outfit or whatever. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.