Sunday, March 25, 2012

2012 Empties Part 2

I'm thinking it's time to come up with an "empties" song. Like the national anthem, we'll save it for special occasions like this when you take the empty containers out to the trash! HURRAH!


Cover FX SkinPrep FX Foundation Primer & Anti-Aging Serum - More like a serum than a primer. I think it's actually quite good for even oily skin despite its oily look and feel. I used it during winter nights and didn't require a moisturizer. But it's a hot mess as a primer since it turns me into an oil slick within the hour. However, possibly a great primer for dry skin. It does smooth out your face for a nice base application but I can't say that it keeps the foundation on longer.

Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar Anti-Bacterial Moisturizing Hand Lotion - "Moisturizing" is redundant since that's what a hand lotion is supposed to do, duh. But it doesn't really. I don't believe in these anti-bacterial things. Nothing beats soap and hot water. Since it neither cleans nor moisturizes, I'm done with these hybrid lotions.


LOOK, A LIPPIE! SOUND THE TRUMPETS!

Sephora Collection Super Shimmery Lip Gloss in Bronzed Beauty - Sephora's birthday gift from March 2010. This is only half the size of a regular lip gloss yet it took two years for me to finish. Still, it counts. One lippie down, four more to go before the lippies ban lifts.

(I know it looks like there's a lot of product left in the tube, but when the attempt to squeeze out the remainder begins to resemble a wrestling match, it's time to call it.)


Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar 3-Wick Candle - Why, yes, I really like the Warm Vanilla Sugar series from BBW. It smells toasty and comforting on cold winter days. I'm switching up the candles for spring but will probably repurchase this in the winter again.


Fruits & Passion Monoi Nourishing Butter - This is quite a small jar and rather expensive. However, I love the smell, the feel and effect, so I'm a bit torn. Fruits & Passion is like the older sister of The Body Shop and nowhere near as popular. A part of me fears for their demise and am tempted to stock up on the Monoi series. But the rational part of me says to wait and finish up the other stuff in my arsenal first.


Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar Moisturizing Shampoo - Moisturizing, my ass. Terrible shampoo though it smells great. As you can see, I'm working my way through the accrued stash from last year. I'm quite proud of finishing this one. You'll see the matching conditioner in the next round of empties.


Nivea Daily Essentials Refreshing Facial Cleansing Wipes - I picked this up in some basement bargain store in Singapore Chinatown. Maybe it was old but it was a bit on the dry side and not very effective in removing makeup. I used it to "wash" my face on the plane on the way home and mostly to wipe my fingers with in the morning after makeup application. By the way, I don't buy wet wipes anymore. They're a waste of money.

Shiseido Facial Cotton - I had to try this after getting fed up with the regular round pads sold at Shoppers Drug Mart. They're always leaving fibers on my face and basically coming apart in my hands. But these Shiseido ones? AMAZING. Read Kristie's review and see if you don't want to convert. They used to be CAD$8 but are now sold for $9. Still, it's good value for the amount you get and I think it amounts to the same as buying three packs of the cheaper ones. I'm already working through my second bag of these.


Random samples that didn't impress.


Herbacin Hand & Nail Balm (Jumbo) - It's my cheap go-to hand lotion. It has that lotion smell but otherwise doesn't smell like anything. This is the second one that I've finished. I keep it on my desk at work and probably apply it about 10 times a day after every washroom break and trip to the kitchen. It's statistically proven that I go through one of these every two years. Because today is my fourth year anniversary at the firm and the first bottle of this lotion was also finished at the two year mark. I would buy it again except that I've managed to stock up a lot of hand creams lately. So I kept the bottle and refilled it with the Cake Beauty Milk Made that Larie loves so much.


TOTAL:


Today's Total:
Jumbo: 1
Regular: 7
Travel/Sample: 4

2012 Total:
Jumbo: 1
Regular: 13
Travel/Sample: 13

ALSO:

Please do not hoard the empty bottles. They belong in the garbage/recycling bin once you're done, thank you. (But good job on finishing those!)


How are your empties going?

35 comments:

  1. Great lot of empties there! I have a post coming up with a few, but I have a stack of half full things that really need to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they the worst?! I like to have an even balance of things, like half full toner and half full matching cleanser and lotion - but right now I have one cleanser and like 100 lotions at the halfway mark. @_@

      Delete
  2. I like those Shiseido facial pads. As a matter of fact, I switched from other SDM pads (which are useful for topping off an Optimum Points minimum purchase). I make each package go further by cutting about 3/4s of them in half. I think the cost balances out because the higher quality pads don't fall apart so I use fewer at a time.

    Guess what? I hit pan on my Cargo blush! Sure, it's a small speck of pan, but it's visible without squinting. I've also hit pan on my MAC Print e/s. I don't know if that counts because it was a hand me down from a friend. I'm still proud of myself :) Also, I resisted the urge to buy stuff at SDM today. 20xpoints day. I'm a good girl, I am! (reference: My Fair Lady <-- it randomly popped in my head.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Life Brand cotton pads are the freaking WORST. And they're like $3-4 now, which is ridiculous! Shiseido pads are sooooo worth it.

      Congratulations on hitting pan, that is amazing! I've never hit pan on a blush. I don't feel the need to with blush but it would be a feat if it ever happened. I, too, resisted the 20x the points. It makes no sense to spend $50 for what amounts to $3 worth of redeemables.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on finishing your first lippie Liz!!! I'm now about 2mm away from finishing my first lipstick! Should be done in the next day or two :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vita! I think of your lipstick graveyard and GO GO GO! ;)

      Delete
  4. I totally "lol'd" at your screen shot of search keywords :-) I get a strange satisfaction out of seeing your empties. I need to start focusing on something like this. GOD KNOWS I have a friggin stockpile to go through. I have recently been toying with banning myself from buying any form of eyeshadow. We moved recently and I had to go through all of my makeup to pack and then unpack and lets just say....WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO WITH 250 EYESHADOWS???? I truly am a hoarder ...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empties is totally a trend, Maribeth! Joiiiiiiin usssssss!

      You know, I don't even wear shadows on a normal day but I have at least 50 or so. If you're a colour fiend, 250 sounds about right. LOL

      Delete
  5. YAY for the lippie! Only four more to go Liz - you can do it!
    I've never really been that fussy when it comes to facial pads, but I'm curious about those Shiseido ones now. I always get loose fibers with the facial pads I use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacey! You MUST try the Shiseido. Life changing, I swear!

      Delete
  6. I use to only use the shiseido cotton pads too! They are so soft and are perfect for toners and makeup removing! I have since switched to the Japanese cotton squares you can buy at jap markets that have cosmetic isles. They are usually around $3 for a pack of 200 and they work just as well! Some of them are not as thick as the shiseido ones so keep that in mind if your looking at picking up just plain japanese cotton. They also have ones that are folded over on the edges of the square which are great if you don't like it when the cotton separates in layers. I personally prefer the fluffy rectangular ones similar to the shiseido. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, the Asians are brilliant at this stuff. I need to go to the Korean markets and see if I can stock up on something cheaper than the Shiseido. You're so smart, thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  7. Eeeh congrats on getting through a lippie!! You can do it! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo for the lippie being done! And LOL at that screenshot. What the hell? Some people in the world are weirder than us! Who knew?

    Do you like the Cake hand cream? :D I'd feel bad if you didn't :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, who knew? The things you learn by blogging...!

      Delete
  9. Yay! Love your empties. I actually have a bag that is really really full with empties-I just haven't gotten around to taking all the pictures and doing the post. Maybe I'll get off my ass and do it this week.
    I also fear for the demise of Fruits and passion-I aslo like that Monoi scent too. I think I might pick some up for the future.
    Congrats on finishing the lippie! That's pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I wanna see! SHOW ME YOUR EMPTIES!!!

      I have the Monoi scrub and now I want the body oil as well. F&P have been around for a long time so they must be doing okay. There's more of those than H2O at least.

      Delete
    2. Tracy, it was you who searched Liz's blog for bottle-hoarding!

      Delete
  10. Yay for finishing the lippie! I have yet to do accomplish such a feat. You've got me interested in that CoverFX primer/serum, though. I have super dry and sensitive skin so maybe once I'm out of my current primer I'll take the plunge with that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Soha! I feel like the Cover FX primer/serum is really nourishing and doesn't cause breakouts. But since you never know, try to sample at SDM or Sephora first. One of those places also sells mini size bottles if you don't want to commit to a full size.

      Delete
  11. YES! Lippie down! Good work Liz :)

    I love that Shiseido facial cotton too, soo lovely! I don't use many products that require cotton pads right now so I just have a small pack of cheapies, but I feel like buying some of these just because LOL

    I don't like Fruits & Passions at all - of course because scented products kill my skin - but because they're Canadian I fear their imminent end as well; I want them to succeed! I honestly don't know how they've lasted as long as they have!

    And WTF on holding on to empty bottles? That is just bizarre - taking beauty hoarding to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blow through toner like a crazy person, so cotton pads are like my best friends. Those cheapie ones falling apart would make me ANGRY!

      Seriously, is F&P government-funded? HAHAHA. I like their body butters better than The Body Shop's, but they're smaller and pricier. And without the prestige factor, it's a total quiver killer. :(

      Delete
  12. OMG. I need to start keeping my empty Shiseido cotton bags. And my finished candles!!! I would've had 5 more empties for this month. :(

    Congrats on finishing the gloss!!! I think my goal for this year is to finish a lippie. Any lippie. I'm not picky. I think that my Revlon Peach Parfait Lip Butter is gonna be the first one to go, though, 'cause I'm already done half of it. :D

    I totally agree with the B&BW anti-bacterial hand lotions. I use mine to mask the scent of cigarette smoke, lol. And I bought so may of the B&BW shampoo and conditioners when they were newly released... and while they smelled good, none of them were particularly great. But they're discontinued now, so I guess B&BW agreed.

    And every time I pass a Fruits & Passion, it's always completely empty. It's so sad. But their stuff is just really expensive compared to B&BW and Body Shop... like, their SALE prices are the same price as B&BW at FULL PRICE. I'm always tempted to go in and take a look and then realize that I would just be spending money on a hand soap that could get me 3 nail polishes... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Well, I didn't count the candle and cotton pads in the final tally, but you can totally do that of course.

      I can't believe you're almost done a lip butter already! Damn, you plow through stuff faster than anyone else. And you know you're a nail polish whore when you count the worth of other products by the number of nail polish bottles!!! Hahaha, I'm so with you there.

      Delete
  13. FOUR lippies to go until your lippie ban lifts? You're quite strict on yourself! Then again, your lip collection makes mine look tiny, I'm sure.
    I love Fruits & Passion too, but it's true it doesn't seem to get much love :x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I set myself quite a challenge... and I'm kicking myself for it! Three would have been good, right?!? But there were five old ones that I really wanted to kill.

      F&P may see more customers this week due to all the talk about it, lol.

      Delete
  14. Ugh, Liz you reminded me of those darn Sephora lipglosses. I have them somewhere. I want to use all this junk up. AAAAAAUUUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!

    Hehe, I have kept a couple of bottles to mix new polishes in or hold some other stuff. I figure why buy a new container when one is right here. So my cheapness wins out sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two more of those glosses and I think my sisters each have a set as well. Next time I'm not going to claim birthday gifts that I don't want to finish using! The Fresh lippies are such a step up from that.

      I don't think your bottle hoarding is the kind this person was searching for, lol.

      Delete
  15. Great job on the empties, Liz! And congrats on finishing the gloss. I haven't finished any lipsticks or glosses for such a long time.

    I had a little giggle at the screenshot, too. But I can't really say a lot as I hoard empty make-up boxes for some strange reason. That somehow doesn't seem as bad as hoarding empty bottles, though, right? :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nat!

      I guess it depends on why you keep the boxes? I know a lot of people do in case they want to return/sell/swap, especially if it's high-end items. I keep the boxes for designer brands and toss the rest. Empty bottles are useless unless you're decorating a wall with them or something. ;)

      Delete
  16. Yes, we should totally write an "emtpies" song!! (I want my own solo rap verse though :D)

    Ahh so proud of your finished lip gloss. Regardless of it's miniature size, it totally counts. Even those flat lip gloss samples from magazines count! And who the heck is hoarding empty bottles? Pretty LE packaging I get, but regular shampoo bottles? Those gotta be extreme hoarders!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol i was waiting to do my empties post til i finished a makeup product but i think ill just go ahead and do my skincare empties as im always inspired by ur empties posts ^^ and LOL at ur screencap haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice work, Liz!! I really do get a warped sense of vicarious pleasure seeing all of these empties. It's a sweet kind of satisfaction seeing all of the empty bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a small empties post that I'm collecting for; I may just wait until the end of July to do it so it's more worthwhile. I like your take on when a lipgloss is done for. I have 2 that are at the point where I have to wrestle with them and you may have convinced me to just put them in the empties bag right now. As usual, a great and inspiring empties post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.