Wednesday, May 9, 2012

2012 Empties Part 4

Oh, the empties. I used to look forward to them but now I dread. Spending money on beauty products is the last thing I want to do. Yet during April's busy rush, I kept having to toss one empty container after another into this bag. It's amazing how much you finish when you're just going through the routines and not thinking about it.


Boscia Peppermint Blotting Linens


I've talked about them many times. It's basically the only blotting linens I use. I stock up on them at Christmas when Sephora sells them for half price and they last me all year. I blot once an hour while sitting at the office doing my 9-5 and with a lot less frequency if I go straight home or a lot more if I go out to socialize. It does what it's supposed to do without fuss. This silver peppermint one is from Christmas 2010 and I thought I had finished that lot way back when but discovered a stray packet while cleaning my desk last month. Right now I'm using the gold peppermint ones from Christmas 2011.

Make Up For Ever Sens' Eyes (Travel Size)


This is a travel size that I had for a couple of years now (eeep). I kept it on my vanity over the winter to try to finish it off before it went bad. When I messed up on my eyes in the morning, I'd dip a Q-tip in the small bottle and remove the mess without taking off the entire look. When I felt less delicate, I turned the bottle upside down and tried to squeeze out a dab on to a tissue. The problem is, it's not a squeezable bottle. One morning I was particularly rushed and basically went, "HULK SMASH!" It resulted in the mess above and I depotted whatever I could into a Sephora sample container. Friend A swears by this remover and I do find that it's extremely effective and gentle. I've shelled out for the full size in the past but I don't wear enough eye makeup on a regular basis to justify that. Also, I mostly prefer liquid removers that soak nicely on cotton pads and that can be pressed over the eyes for a clean wipe.

MAC "Just A Pinch" Gel Blush


Tracy sent this to me when I made a purchase from her blog sale way back when. I loved the pop of bright red in the pot and its effect on the cheeks. However, it was in the dead of winter when the poor jar made its way across the vast Canadian provinces and the cold had made the gel texture separate into clumpy bits floating in oily liquid. I've had to bid it a sad farewell and put the pot aside for B2M.

Clinique Lash Power Mascara


I made great progress in reducing my mascara stash down from about a dozen in 2010 to just 2-3 in 2011. For 2012, I'm determined to have only one mascara going at a time. Also: this is the first time that I wore mascara almost every day and finished a tube. I never knew when a mascara finished or not and tossed it at the 5 or 6-month stage because I was afraid it had expired. This is the first time that I felt that the tube was empty and dry. Currently I'm using a L'Oreal Beauty Tube that's about half the price of Clinique Lash Power but I'd definitely like to go back to Lash Power later when $20 mascaras aren't detrimental to the wallet. (I'm considering going mascara-free for the summer when it's too hot to fiddle with too much makeup anyway.) This is my fourth Lash Power and I always go back to it after philandering for a while because it's clump-free, smudge-free and does make a difference on my tiny puny lashes that are invisible on their own.

Marcelle Essentials Night Cream


I don't use night cream except in the winter. Marcelle is a great Canadian drug store brand that is dermatologist-recommended and remains at an affordable price range. This cream did not irritate my oily, acne-prone skin and in fact seemed to help for a while. When the weather got warmer, I finished it by using it on my neck and decolletage and only around my mouth and eyes where the skin tends to be slightly dry. Yep, I'll buy it again in the winter.

The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil


I had better results with the Thursday Plantation 100% tea tree oil so this was kept on the back burner. I now can't stand having little unfinished bottles taking up room so it had to go. I used it alone for the most part, without adding moisturizer on top as the slightly oily feel was enough to trick my uber oily skin into feeling hydrated. It just doesn't have enough tea tree essence to make a difference on my face, but it was better than nothing. Right now I'm using another 100% tea tree oil from a different brand which I don't find to be as good as Thursday Plantation but stress and the change in season has made my acne flare up again and it's hard to tell what the heck is going on.

Murad Exfoliating Acne Treatment Gel


This is good stuff. For those suffering from minor acne, slathering a layer of this all over before bed might result in a clear face by morning. I need this along with the spot treatment for full treatment but loved the gel so much that I pounded out every drop. I'm looking for a similar treatment that's less expensive, but Murad's mid-level range pricing isn't as horrific as Aveda Outer Peace, so... repurchase? If the current tea tree oil doesn't turn things around, I'll have to by using Shoppers points.

Slatkin & Co. Lilac Blossom Candle


Flower scents I like: lilac, rose, hyacinth, honeysuckle. I picked up this 4 oz size for $5 when spring hit us early in March. I was actually surprised by how long this one wick candle burned because I automatically thought that smaller candle = shorter burn time but I think the three-wick action on the bigger candles results in bigger flames and faster meltdown.

However, the single wick was found wanting when I reached near the end as it just broke off while a good layer of wax remained at the bottom. :-(


Etude House Happy Teatime Milk Tea Cleansing Cream


It sounds lovely but it's crap. It's creamy and feels/smells lovely but even after cleansing there's still makeup remaining on my face. I was trying to finish this at the same time as the matching cleanser but the cleanser outlasts it by one empties post. Some time ago I gave up buying wet wipes as they seemed to be a waste of money when massaging the face with warm water over the sink with a remover seemed more economical and effective. However, I'm doubting that now after this remover's #totalfail performance. I'm currently using a Marcelle makeup remover but want so badly to return to my favourite, Philosophy Purity Made Simple.

LUSH Sex Bomb Bath Bomb



 It was part of Ashley's lovely birthday package and I was so excited to see it in the box after having read Dovey's lovely review of it back in January. I was also at the tail end of my love-affair-with-roses phase, so the lovely scent and colour of this bath thrilled me to no end. LUSH baths are definitely a treat and at $7 a bomb, it's rather pricy. But I think that one bomb per week or month, depending on one's budget, is definitely splurge-worthy as sitting in deliciously scented foamy froth while listening to your favourite song with a glass of wine (or hot chocolate in this instance) goes a long way toward melting away stress and negative feelings. I still have a few bombs left to enjoy. :-)

REN Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask


I bought this on www.strawberrynet.com after Friend J recommended the site as a great way of getting free delivery, frequent discounts and great value for Canadians (at par with US pricing). This was the replacement for my beloved Juice Green Apple Peel which is no longer available from Sephora. It's much gentler -- and at first I wasn't sure that it was having any effect. After I introduced the Clarisonic Mia into my routine, I found that using this on a weekly basis did have a subtle but effective change on my skin. It's a light orange coloured gel that you smooth over the face and leave on for 10-15 minutes which is removed with warm water and a cotton cloth that is provided with the mask. I suppose the extra exfoliation that is done with the cotton cloth and water adds to the post-mask glow, but the cloth and water wouldn't be as effective without the mask in the first place, maybe? I'm not repurchasing this despite the positive review as (a) I'm going to use up all the exfoliating products in my arsenal first, including samples, and (b) I'm going the DIY route for a while after with a lemon & sugar scrub, continued use of cotton towels + warm water and the Clarisonic Mia.

My one quibble with this product is that the mask is encased in a baggie which is then placed in the container. I thought it might be refillable, but it's not, so I don't see the point of the double bagging unless it's to protect the product from expiring quickly. Still, you'd think a sealed bag would be enough? Buying refills would be both economically and environmentally helpful. I tried "LIZ HULK SMASH!" on the tube but to no avail. These REN people know how to make a sturdy package.


Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel


I liked this so much that I used it quite sparingly and managed to parcel it out for almost two years. If I use Philosophy Purity, there's no need to double cleanse. But on days when I use a separate makeup remover and need to cleanse the remover off the face (redundant task - what's the solution?), I liked using this to gently but effectively remove all the icky stuff and smile into the mirror at the end of the day. Would like to repurchase but probably won't this summer.

Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar Foam Burst Body Wash


Bought it on clearance for about $5, and true to the name, was it ever foamy. The foam would continue to stream out from the dispenser long after the shower was over. I don't like the metal can nor the dispenser nor the cap, and I'm tired of these overpriced B&BW shower stuff. While I do still like the smell of Warm Vanilla Sugar, it's more of a toasty fall/winter scent for me. Excuse me while I skip off to something more refreshing and light for the summer!

Fekkai Summer Sunshine Shield Spray


I mentioned this before as one of those summer-oriented stuff that doesn't really do anything. I finished it by using it as a smoothing spray. It's light enough not to feel greasy but not strong enough for anything else except to add a little weight to the frizz-prone hair. As for its UV-defence claims, who the hell knows? Judging by how quickly it was discontinued, I suppose it wasn't all that protective after all.

TOTAL:


Today's Total:
Jumbo: 0
Regular: 11
Travel/Sample: 1
Tossed: 1

2012 Total:
Jumbo: 2
Regular: 31
Travel/Sample: 14
Tossed: 3 
How are your empties going? (While I'm on the subject, I have to give a shout out to Lil Lady's Life who actually completely finished a MAC blush. Click here to check out what that looks like -- and to get a completely different take on Clinique Lash Power Mascara.)

48 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Longer than I wanted it to be but that's how these things tend to be, lol.

      Delete
  2. This is quite an empties post! I totally agree that Marcelle is a fabulous brand. I probably have 4-5 different types of cleanser from this brand that I need to use and review ~___~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked every single thing I tried from Marcelle. My least favourite was the squishy gel eye makeup remover but my sister loved it. I have to try their Vitamin C gel cream next!

      Delete
    2. The gel cream is AWESOME! Lightweight but still very moisturizing! In the summer, I like their Hydra C Ultra light matifying fluid for daytime

      Delete
    3. Woohoo! I'll get on it some day. I have a lot of moisturizers right now but they're a bit heavy for the summer. Hmmm.

      Delete
  3. Very impressive empties post, Liz! I'll have to see about trying something from Murad if my new skin regimen doesn't cut it. Also, your commentary always makes me giggle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Murad stuff works best when you use 2-3 products in the series together. I want to try their anti-acne cleanser next.

      Thanks for giggling! ;)

      Delete
  4. AWWWWW that's too bad the cold ruined it! I never even thought about it when I sent it to you. I should have realized it would die. Oh well.
    Nice empties as always!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. BAD WINTER BAAAAAAAAAAAD!

      But now we know for next time! ;) ;)

      Delete
  5. DAMN impressed by you as always. And also cannot stop picturing you doing HULK SMASH now. I will think of you whenever I try very hard to open a product that will not open. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. :D

      Seriously, I didn't even know what happened when the remover spattered all over me. Like, that bottle is hard plastic. :<

      Delete
  6. LOL, as I have just watched The Avengers, I am fully appreciating the HULK SMASH!. :)

    Love the Boscia linens -- my fave is still the lavender ones, but I haven't seen them in Toronto, only in the US. I still have like, four packs of the green tea ones to go through, though.

    I'm having mixed feelings about the Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel; I don't feel like it takes off make-up nearly as well as some of the frothier cleansers. I'm currently using it in the morning because it makes me feel refreshed and more awake...

    Lush Sex Bomb is my favourite. :D This post has made me remember to add bath bombs (and candles!) to my empties for next month...

    YAYYYYY EMPTIES!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the lavender ones a long time ago! I'm not a huge fan of lavender and that was one of the worst lavender smells ever - like granny soap. You're not missing out. Plus the smell dies halfway through the pack anyway.

      I agree about the Boscia cleansing gel but I loved it in the morning! Because I wear a lot of foundation, I take that off with a remover and then do a second cleanse with the Boscia and it felt so good.

      LOL @ your empties cheer!

      Delete
  7. LOL LOL LUZ HULK SMASH! That was a very good movie, btw. So many empties! I know what you mean - all the important, routine skincare tends to finish up at the same time and it becomes ridiculously expensive! Also I recently started using the Neutrogena eye makeup remover; it is cheap and fabulous, so if you ever want to go back to using a separate eye makeup remover...try that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so I'm Luz now. lol I can't believe you didn't just go to bed when you arrived!

      Not that I don't have tons of backups to last me all year long, but I ran out of some good stuff here. I did use the Neutrogena remover a long time ago but preferred the L'Oreal duo phase. I'm just not even going to buy a separate eye makeup remover anymore but use the general one for the face.

      Delete
  8. At a glance I was like, "wait, what happened to that poor MUFE bottle?" and as it turns out you turned crazy green on it! At least the Sex Bomb calmed you down ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! People had better not mess! >:D

      Your box of goodies make me so so happy. :DDD

      Delete
  9. enjoyed this post. don't buy. let's use up (more)!

    best wishes,
    jacq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah! :D

      Congrats on hitting pan on that powder!

      Delete
    2. Yea, need to use up and get rid of quite a lot of stuff... glad that Za foundation is near the end!

      Support you always ;)

      Delete
  10. You're definitely on a roll there Liz - cutting a swathe of destruction through your bath and beauty products girl!!! I know what you mean about going through a lot of stuff when you're not paying attention because EXACTLY the same thing happened to me last month. Hey, keep going like that and I know the joy in pretty things will return. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "swathe of destruction" - Love it!! Bottles quake in fear! LOL

      There is something to be said for the set routine. I finished nothing when I rotated products weekly or almost daily. Now it's just WHAM! DONE!

      Thank you, I hope it returns sooooon!

      Delete
  11. (Clapping hands) ;D Doesn't it feel like a victory with some extra bonus? The fact that you purchased them (or most of them), love them all so much to ended up getting that final result. Fantastic! Bravo, you go, Miss Liz! :D
    Hugs,
    Seelah. *

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another impressive entry!!! When I saw sex bomb, I thought 'Ahhhh I love that stuff' and then you reminded me that I already wrote about it! Thanks for the mention :) :)

    I've tried Ren samples too, and have been quite pleased with the results; it does seem to work for me too, though it is a bit pricey so I have yet to invest. I'm not certain whether I prefer it over philosophy's peels; they seem quite similar. Murad is a brand I'm curious about as well; I have a couple things I'm testing now.

    LOVE Hulk smash. Have you seen Avengers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course! You're the one that made me want to try it. It was fortuitous that Ashley packed it in her box of goodies. :D

      REN is rather pricy and I so wish it was just slightly cheaper. I haven't tried Philsophy's peels - for some reason though I love Purity, I'm scared to try the rest of their line.

      The Avengers is on the agenda for this weekend! I didn't have the energy for the opening weekend crowd. Maybe the Sunday matinee. :)))

      Delete
  13. WOW that is a lot of empties! I know what you mean about not wanting to finish things though; that's generally how I feel about empties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably how we should always feel! The joy of finishing expensive products is a deranged First World Problem, lol! I think you're doing it right, Emi. :)

      Delete
  14. Hahahahaha! Darn you to heck. I was innocently drinking a glass of red wine whilst reading this and 'Hulk Smash' made me almost spit it out :p On a less messy note you've made fab progress! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NOOOOO, I'm sorry you almost wasted perfectly good wine! LOL

      After I watch the movie this weekend, I'll probably just walk around all week saying that out loud in my best Hulk impersonation. ;)

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness! so many finished products!!! It totally made my morning to see "Hulk Smash" only to have my day made by then seeing "Liz Hulk Smash" I <3 you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished watching your video - you are so cute! <3 right back!

      Delete
  16. Great job Liz! Yeah its pretty weird how fast things can finish when you aren't looking/caring about it. I've been working for the past week and had barely enough time to keep track of my empties and (far more importantly) my finances! Time to start calculating how much I've spent and my budget for the month =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tabby. I never kept a strict budget but was mindful of the amounts at the back of my mind, always. The numbers at the end of the month rarely surprised me. While I could be really anal about certain things, I dislike calculating money all the time. :(

      Delete
  17. I love reading empties posts! It encourages me to use up every drop of a product (get my moneys worth!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I can't believe it took me so long to get on it! Good luck with yours. :)

      Delete
  18. Holy Liz!! You finished so much I'd have to write a novel to touch on each item! Good for you my dear, or...well, sort of good for you?? LOL It sounded for the most part like you finished things that won't need to be repurchased in till the Winter, so hopefully by then things will be a bit different.

    And I LOVED the LIZ HULK SMASH haha - I thought at first you broke open the bottle a la my cutting tubes of things in half LOL. Unfortunately, I'm still alone on that one I fear :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's *NEED* and there's "need." Also, *NEED THIS NOWWWW*, LOL. ;(

      I only know 2-3 of you who do that cutting thing and it's hilarious! I can't unless I really really love the product and I'm not sure I've ever loved lotions or cleansers to that degree.

      Delete
  19. All I'm going to say, is WOW.

    Liz, even with all the crap you've had to go through of late, you still managed to make the rest of us look lazy, lol! You are truly an inspiration...and I really mean that! Kudos on getting through yet another pile of stuff!

    PS: Can you come over and LIZ HULK SMASH some things I have here that need to be eliminated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't be silly. No one is lazier than I have been this week. After my parents kind of gave me the okay to take it easy, I've been slacking BIG TIME.

      I'd gladly head over but would never LIZ HULK SMASH your beautiful things! You may have to redo some of your inventories though to make sure they're all there, hahaha! >:D

      Delete
  20. Nothing is empty yet at all, and the stash keeps growing. I enacted a beauty ban which was broken twice the first week I enacted it. Sigh. But I have finally hit pan on something-- my Bobbi Brown pressed powder YAY. That was encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the tardy response! I thought I already had. -_-

      I hit pan on my MUFE powder and was so happy that I dedicated an entire post to it. Cut to almost a year later and it's still going. Damn, those take long. Keep at 'em - you'll kick butt eventually! ;)

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.