Thursday, June 28, 2012

George's Cream

While I sport a rather oily face, I'm lucky enough not to struggle with skin woes from chin down. When George's Cream contacted me back in March to review their products especially formulated for dry skin weathering tough Canadian winters, I was hesitant because I'm not exactly the best subject for the dry skin test. However, I've had ample time to try out George's Cream since and find that it's affordable and effective and worth reviewing in case it helps anyone out there struggling to find the right products.


Here's an excerpt from the team behind George's Cream:

About George’s Cream 

George’s is a great Canadian success story and George himself has some interesting stories about how he initially decided to develop a non-prescription cream to help combat severe dry skin for some of his local customers at his pharmacy in Calgary.  Using his wife’s cake mixer and working on formula after formula in his kitchen – the ultimate result was cult success for George’s Special Dry Skin Cream. [Gotta love the cake mixer!]

George’s Cream is appealing to many customers because it is a non-prescription therapeutic skin moisturizer that has no additives and is fragrance free.

George's Special Dry Skin Cream...
  • Was created for lasting dry skin relief.
  • Provides relief from several different types of skin conditions.
  • Works!  That is why it is recommended by dermatologists, pharmacists and physicians.

George's Light Special Moisturizing Lotion...
  • Is a lighter version of George's Special Dry Skin Cream, and has been carefully researched and formulated to soothe and protect problem skin.
  • Is gentle enough for use every day and can be used by those with sensitive skin .
  • Maintains the integrity of the cream with a minimum of ingredients and has no additives that could cause allergies.
-------------------------------------------------------

When my parents began their new business in March and it required all three of us to continually wash our hands throughout long days, I brought both samples of George's Cream to keep at the store and used George's Light Special Moisturizing Lotion for my hands after each wash. It really started to grow on me because applying hand lotion doesn't always prevent dry flakes and patches when you wash your hands that often, but I didn't experience a single moment of dryness or discomfort for as long as I diligently applied a small dab of the Light Special Moisturizing Lotion after each hand wash. I encouraged my parents to use it often as well, and while my dad ignores it for the most part, my mom volunteered one day that the George's products are "pretty good." I don't know about your parents, but mine were never much for high praise. "Pretty good" coming from my mom translates to regular people's version of "Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


Between the two products, my favourite is the Light Special Moisturizing Lotion.


For something that claims to be light, it's actually not. It has the look of a lotion but has the weight and feel of a heavy body cream. That's how I prefer my hand moisturizers and often I'll substitute body butters for hand creams.


Because of its thickness, you do have to rub it into the skin for a few seconds longer than you would other lighter moisturizers. At first there's the slightest bit of a sour yogurt smell that fades into nothing at the same time as the skin absorbs the lotion, leaving it healthy and plump.



Prior to reading Tracy's review and being approached by George's Cream personally, I hadn't noticed it anywhere else before. But now I see it proudly taking up a spot on the shelves of Shoppers Drug Mart and am glad to see that the price is reasonable and worth spending on for those struggling with thirsty skin in need of desperate relief.

@ Shoppers Drug Mart

For more information, check out George's Cream online at:

www.georgescream.com
www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Georges-Cream/222768827756265
@Georges_Cream

Products were provided for review. But I really mean what I say.

30 comments:

  1. Thank you for mentioning the consistency! I have seen so many reviews on this cream but none mention it! I really don't like runny lotions since they tend to feel greasy or like they barely do anything. Thick cream ftw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? It's so thick that it really stands out from other "lotions." But I didn't mention that the Special Dry Skin Cream is CRAZY thick. It's like choosing between almost-Vaseline level thick and body butter thick!

      Delete
  2. Your review was so thorough, thank you! Do you happen to know if this line is available in the States? I have never seen it before, but maybe it's because I didn't know I never heard of it =P (tip of the hat to Charlie Wilson's War just in case you were questioning my Ingles skillz). If it is, I'm taking note for the next cold season. My skin eats lotion in the winter, cookie monster style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the FAQ (http://www.georgescream.com/faq.html), they're just starting out and looking to make it big in Canada before expanding south. :(

      But the good news is that your friend here up north is more than willing to send it over when you are in need. ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad companies are contacting you to try their products.
    Congratulations on the success, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I count success as the moment someone stops to read a full post and hit subscribe, but I know what you mean. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm dying at the cake mixer story...I may or may not have done that exact same thing mixing up a big batch of sugar body scrub. And I'm glad there's another hand cream on the market that sinks in quickly...they all SAY they do, but I've rarely found that to be true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gawd, I'd never go through the trouble of cleaning up a mixer to create a DIY product. The most I do is squeeze some lemon juice over sugar and rub my face with it. :x It's such a good story though!

      It doesn't sink in "quickly" because you do have to work it in and not use too much product, but it is very effective once you rub it in for a bit!

      Delete
  5. I must admit that the first time I heard of these products, was when Tracy reviewed them, and while they sound interesting, I put them to the back of my mind as I usually have several other lotions/creams/bodycare items that are in the testing phase; that being said, I'm happy to hear that this line is now popping up at SDM/Pharmaprix...that'll make it so much easier to give them a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got interested via Tracy's post and was thrilled when they contacted me! :)

      But I know what you mean. I have mountains of moisturizers that aren't being used and getting another is almost painful at this point. Also, if you don't have major skin issues, George's isn't the most exciting out there. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the review, Liz! I think I may have to try this out after I get through my hemp hand cream from the Body Shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George's is for all over - I just use it for my hand since it's at the store for that purpose. But hope you get to give it a try! :)

      Delete
  7. Great review, Liz! I love the story-- and the idea of him using his wife's cake mixer is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Hopefully George will expand distribution to the US at some point-- maybe by then I will be part way through all of my lotions and creams so that I can justify buying more!! Have a lovely weekend, Liz! xo

      Delete
    2. Ah, the battle never ends. I hit pan on a body butter just now and almost cried in relief, LOL. You too, my dear!

      Delete
  8. What a cute success story! And LOL at your mom's "high praise." i don't really like heavy hand creams, though, as I find them excessively greasy most of the time. I like them to absorb well and QUICKLY. Who has time to spend rubbing their hands together like a villain, I ask you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe... your mom like that, too?

      Well, I do. Half the time someone passes me at work, I'm rubbing my hands. :>

      Delete
  9. Exactly what I need for my snake like leg skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I bet it's not that snakey after all. It's only available in Canada for now, though. :(

      Delete
  10. Haha I love your parents! Makes me miss mine so much more. :)
    My book knee and I thank you for the link! I'm glad it helped you and them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be a pain but they're also really funny (without meaning to be). :)

      Of course! I still laugh at your book knee story. :D

      Delete
  11. I love finding affordable products that work! And I also use body butter as hand cream, because it's a) more effective, and b) so much more luxurious-feeling :-) I'm glad to hear your mom likes it, too (lol at her comment!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to (b)! I think half of my hand creams aren't actually "hand creams" but some sort of thicker body moisturizers. And yeah, my mom's a riot (not). lol

      Delete
  12. Cake mixer, that is awesome! This sounds like a really great product :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, right? I hope it works for the dry skin types out there!

      Delete
  13. I recall reading Tracy's review and being really intrigued by the product as well. I'm hesitant to ever stop using what I use now (dupe version of Aveeno) just because all to often I've tried something else only to be disappointed. But perhaps I'll give this a go and see how it fares - it certainly sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the review Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of you, now I keep looking at that Aveeno dupe and wondering when I can try it as there are four years' worth of body moisturizers for me to get through. -___- I suppose it's worth a try in the dead of winter when things get really tough??

      Delete
  14. You had me at cake mixer...but is it sold in the U.S.

    Asian Mom + Praise = Miracle (can't you hear the angels singing?)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.