Saturday, July 28, 2012

July Pickups

I despise the word "haul" although I do use it to indicate shopping sprees. From now on, my preferred replacement for haul is "pickup." It's literally more true to what I do now: pick up random things here and there and keep from lugging home excess. Read on to see how I did this month!

Polysporin ($9.99 sale) - I had some stitches on my leg removed (will explain in future post) and plan on working diligently to prevent permanent scarring. The doctor said I didn't need to apply anything, but having this around makes me feel much better.

Nature's Gate Vitamin E Oil ($10.99) - Not shown below but click here to see it on my Instagram. This is also to minimize scarring. Not sure if it's going to work, but I discovered some time ago that vitamin e oil is excellent for curing dry patches. The corners of my mouth got super dry and applying some oil made it go away completely in one night. Try it if you suffer from dry skin.

Clarisonic Normal Skin Brush (free) - My friend gave me the Sensitive Skin brush for my birthday back in March and I exchanged it for the Normal Skin instead. My ideal Clarisonic brush is something between Normal and Sensitive, but since it doesn't yet exist, I prefer Normal.


Tokidoki Lion Pappa Palette ($6.00 clearance) - I was lurking in the Tokidoki aisle at Sephora in search for an appropriate gift for a 13 year-old girl when my 34 year-old self began to feel tempted by the bargains that lay before me. You know how I love palettes - and $6 isn't too difficult to part with - so here we are.


Nails Inc. "Hampstead Gardens" (right) and "Baker Street" (left) ($5.00 each) - I'm really looking forward to autumn for once. I think these two colours will make for a good cool weather combo without looking too glum or serious.


The shades felt familiar to me, however. Then I realized I had already brought home this colour pairing before.

Who me?

Who?!?

Ohhhh.

They delight me so. :-)

Life Brand Ultra Soft Baby Wipes ($2.99 sale) - My summer essential. I'm already halfway through this bag.


And finally, my guilty pleasure.

Chanel "Holiday" ($25-27??) - Am so horrified by this splurge that I've managed to block out the real price from my head. But I love it and have trouble passing up a fabulous LE when I already have a solid collection. Since I'm being very careful now and completely stopped buying clothes/shoes and eat out only 2-3 times a month, a small treat feels okay and even deserving. I have no interest in accruing fifty blushes again, but I can't seem to stop collecting nail polish.


And somewhere along the way, I became fast friends with a MAC Fairy. Not sure what I did to deserve all this but I didn't say no! I've been using a couple of the products each day to test them out and they are all amazing and suit my taste exactly. Once my crazy course ends on August 1, I'll focus on conducting real reviews and feature some of these products. Thank you again, MAC Fairy. We both know you're awesome, but I also know you don't get tired of hearing it. ;-)



Grand total for this month: $60ish before tax

I suppose the Polysporin shouldn't really count since it's more health-related than beauty, but I just wanted to track my non-essential purchases and see how I'm doing on a regular basis, month by month. It seems that I'm holding steady at around $50/month on average, based on this month and last month. Last month I felt I could have done better. This month I feel the same but with less guilt. Work and school have both become extra EXTRA headachy within the past two weeks and I sense myself sliding back into a state of mind that repeats the mantra: "Whatever gets me through today." As we all know too well, sometimes that "whatever" is pretty makeup. Still, I've managed to avoid the insane sales going on all around me and even made it out of Bath & Body Works without succumbing to $1 lotions and 6 shower gels for the price of 3. Baby steps!

Do you keep track of your purchases? What were your indulgences this month?

47 comments:

  1. I actually think the Sensitive brush head is a lot scratchier and more irritating on my skin than the Normal brush head--so that's the one I use too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've gone back to the normal brush - YES!!! So weird how that is. It's like the normal brush bristles line up more evenly, making for a smoother feel, and the sensitive brush is all scraggly and scratchy despite what initially feels like a softer brush. So odd.

      Delete
    2. Totally agree with you about the bristle alignment. Strange huh? I definitely noticed that too.

      Delete
  2. I splurged for dior nudetan in sunlight- as you said, i blocked the price from my mind (very expensive) but i love it!
    I can t stop buying HM clothes, i really need to work on that:)
    Love your blog, i've been a follower for half a year now but this is my 1st comment!
    Hello from Romania:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natty! I'm so happy that you decided to join in the conversation. :DDD

      I like H&M too but they're all so trendy and seasonal that I try not to get too carried away with things that won't look good for years to come. Their accessories are really cute as well!

      Delete
  3. i want a MAC fairy in my life too! :)

    you've picked up nice things~~~

    have a beautiful weekend~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every woman needs a MAC fairy. :)

      You too, Jacq!

      Delete
  4. Baker Street is gorgeous, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those owls kill me! So cute! I love the look of Baker Street and anything tokidoki makes my heart smile. I'm starting to track down my purchases more to make it a habit and I'm finding it's preventing me from making a lot of impulse buys. I try not to be too hard on myself, too. Sometimes you just need a pick me up and that pick me up might be something from Chanel or Guerlain! Whateva, I do what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've resisted the lure of Tokidoki for a long time but cannot at half price! The packaging on the palette is pretty shoddy though. :[

      You sound perfectly sensible and I need to keep better track of things. Hopefully being SUPER close to the Eaton Centre for school won't change anything. ;)

      Delete
  6. Lovely owl approved "pickups!" What a lovely MAC fairy-- so generous. I wish that I had a MAC fairy in my life, but alas I don't. This was a good July!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been whining about summer not being so great but all in all, July wasn't bad. :) You deserve a fairy!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad that you had not a bad July! That makes me happy-- you have had enough difficult months! I would love a fairy!!!!

      Delete
    3. I think August is going to be great! :)

      Delete
    4. I'm so glad to hear it!!!! :-)

      Delete
  7. Yay for your MAC fairy! Is that Nails Inc shade the cobalt blue? Because that is awesome and I heartily approve. I love that you have matching owls, too - clearly that is a winning combo. I'm glad you're not feeling guilty - everything in moderation, love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks very cobalt blue to me. I think you need it. :D

      Moderation is soooooo difficult, but at the end of the day, I think it's the best. :)

      Delete
  8. Do you know of a sephora in toronto with a good in store sale section?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, all the Sephora locations have a sale section but they mostly consist of Sephora Brand products that are being phased out and the odd brand that is being cleared out completely. I'd say that they're all the same and not very good for sales in general. :(

      Delete
  9. I totally CAN'T STAND the word "haul" as well....glad you found an alternative to use! Those owls are seriously so cute - I want to squeeze them! I think I have that nails inc. blue shade as well, and even though I've worn it, I don't believe I posted it...so silly of me! As to the vitamin E oil, it most definitely WILL help minimize scarring; I was able to reduce some post-surgery scarring by a significant amount AND it keeps your skin flexibly moist so that you'll heal that much fast - smart move, Liz! So glad you bought the Chanel and you're so right, my friend: you've worked hard, made sacrifices and have streamlined your "wants" to the point where it's almost painful. Time for you to enjoy some things too!

    PS: your MAC fairy must be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owls aren't very squeezable but sometimes I rearrange them in the room and it makes me happy just to see them in random corners. LOL

      Re: Vitamin E, I'm hearing that either it's amazing or doesn't work at all. I'm thinking it's got to be better than nothing at minimum!

      Thanks, Eugenia. :)

      Delete
  10. I want a MAC Fairy too! Actually, maybe not-make mine a Burberry Fairy haha!
    Nice pickups! Glad you're having a chance to enjoy a few things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! A Burberry Fairy and a Guerlain Fairy and a Chanel Fairy... :D

      Thanks, Tracy. :)

      Delete
  11. YAY for the MAC Fairy! She's seriously the best!!!!

    Love 'ya, MAC FAIRY!!!!

    I ALSO LOVE EXCLAMATION MARKS! WEEEEEE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pickups! Where did you get the owls from? My daughter loves owls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them at Indigo bookstore! They're actually lip balms that open up with a latch a the bottom but I don't like the smell and use the owls as figurines. :)

      Delete
  13. I've developed an aversion to the word 'haul' too. Now I'll only do something like a first impressions type thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like all I write are first impressions posts (pickups) and a final impressions post (empties). Need to buckle down on actual reviews!

      Delete
  14. I read "...and eat out only 2-3 times a month" as "I only eat 2-3 times a month" but that's definitely not possible. A person needs to eat! And indulge, but only a little!
    And technically, it's not indulging if the MAC Fairy personally hooks you up! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, no. Not possible. I eat 2-3 times in 2-3 hours. ^___^

      True! Hookups are not pickups. LOL

      Delete
  15. I detest the misuse of words myself, and yet I find myself typing phrases that I loathe. I don't know why I do it. When I was a kid we used to refer to Christmas presents as hauls, we found it amusing, and rarely on other occasions. It kept the meaning of the word's value. Now it's value is so overused it makes me sad.
    I love that Polysporin is part of your acquisitions for this month. I like your whole newly acquired set for that matter. That mustard color is fantastic. I wonder if I can get my hands on it from Sephora still. I kind of like the Tokidoki palettes. As thirty somethings why must we let go of our girlish selves. I really don't think that's something we should succumb to, relinquishing the parts of ourselves that enjoy playful femininity.
    The MAC fairy sounds awesome. Good for you, you deserve it my dear Friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so common that it's just the easiest way to direct people to the point. I love how language evolves but the post-modern evolution is not very pretty. ;(

      Yay for Polysporin! lol I developed a liking for mustard yellow last fall and got a cardigan but realized I needed a nail colour as well. I'm sure you can find it either in the store or online. Let's be nail twins!

      Delete
  16. Pick Up is a good name for it, sometimes it isn't a spree it is just a few things here and there :) I think you're doing really well, that Chanel polish is so darn pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not a spree. I'm afraid my spree days are over for the long duration. Thanks, Emma! :)

      Delete
  17. Haha, you're welcome. ;)

    Your nail polish purchases are gorgeous! I'm actually really tempted to get Holiday now, even though there are quite a few dupes out there... Uggghhh, internal struggle!!!

    I haven't really gone shopping this month because I'm saving up for my NYC trip. Most of the things I've bought are "essentials" like contact lens solution and ground coffee. I did get my Julep package, though, so at least I have new nail polish. :P

    Either way, good purchases this month -- you deserve to indulge once in a while, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU ARE THE BEST! :)

      Sorry for inducing Holiday lemming. I thought of the worthy dupes and tried to resist, but I just really needed that holiday sort of feeling. lol

      I'm really excited for your NYC trip and hope no one kills each other, hahaha! We should do the beerbistro thing when you come back and we can exchange products again. :D

      Delete
  18. Haul is a bit of a dirty word isn't it, although I'm guilty of using that language... I literally gasped and got all wide eyed when I saw what you got from The MAC Fairy - and you deserve the lot!! Good to see you still collect the nail polish too - Hampstead Gardens is such an interesting colour. I look forward to a swatch post when you're so inclined! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall endeavour to post about Hampstead Gardens some time in August. :)

      Haul is firmly part of the beauty blogging vernacular now and no amount of moaning and groaning about its usage is going to make it disappear. I just don't like it personally and won't use it if I can help it.

      Delete
  19. I think I *might* pick up a Clarisonic when they have the annual VIB sale at Sephora this fall...not sure yet, but I've been mulling it over. Good to know about the sensitive brush, I'll probably avoid it if its more scratchy!

    You make me feel woefully inadequate with your superior thriftiness, Liz, wow!! $60!?! I spent like...well, wayyyy more than I should this past month, it was NOT good. Many items were replacements, but still - things add up, especially with any Chanel polish purchases (damn them and their pretty shades!). Give yourself mad props for the great job you did, I am mega-impressed, and inspired to follow your lead :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the sensitive brush is a real revelation. I wonder now what their delicate brush is like! But I'll probably stick to normal. Apparently the new acne/oily skin one is really abrasive and should only be used a few times a month for extra treatment.

      Well, I was hoping to spend only about $6 but you know how it goes, lol. You're in that experimental stage and spreading your wings - so if you can afford it, why not? Thanks for your nice comment. You always make me feel so much better. :D

      Delete
  20. I was just looking at Baker Street! How does it translate on the nail? HAHAHAHHA love the owls, I guffawed when you revealed them ;) super dignified. You did great as always Liz! Be proud of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: Baker Street - I don't know yet but shall try it this month!

      And I want to hear what an MM guffaw sounds like. I love the word guffaw. *guffaws* :DDD

      Delete
  21. I'm so glad to see that you've slowly been finding yourself able to enjoy beauty indulgences! It seems like you have a really balanced perspective and attitude, and you managed to find some really lovely stuff! The Chanel is gorgeous, and omg the color-matching owls are SO CUTE! Also, thanks for the tip re: Vitamin E. I'll have to remember that for when my skin gets dry, as it inevitably will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I had no doubt that I was going to find the way back to enjoying indulgences. Was just a matter of time. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.