Saturday, September 15, 2012

2012 Empties Part 8

It's that time again! I really wish we had an empties song. Would really routinize the whole thing even more than it already is, right?!

Again I realize how much crap I manage to stockpile, even now as I do my damnest to not fall for buy-this-much-get-this-for-"free" deals. I always try to finish a few sample/travel sizes each month but still accrue them at an alarming rate and think that they should be saved for traveling. Well, I'm not going anywhere for the rest of 2012 and probably not much in 2013 either. The fall season will be devoted to using up samples and travel size things that are tottering around and creating clutter!


Without further ado, here are my empties:

Rexall Baby Wipes x 80 wipes ($3.99 at Rexall/Pharma Plus) - I may have said this a few times already, but I really prefer the Life Brand Baby Wipes over these. Am trying not to buy wipes anymore now that the weather is cooler and wiping off makeup from the face isn't as urgent without the sweat factor. It's also time to start wearing socks again so there's no need to get wipes for stinky feet either.


Shiseido Cotton Pads x 50 ($5.00 at Sephora) - Holy grail facial cottons. I'm alternating between these and the Rexall cheapies so that I'm not spending all my hard-earned monies on stupid cottons. Yes, these are wonderful and you never want to use anything else again after trying them, but I'd rather spend $5 on more pumpkin spice lattes!


Rexall Cotton Balls x 300 ($1.69 at Rexall) - I use them only to remove nail polish. No problem whatsoever with these. Will continue to buy.

The Face Shop Pomegranate Mask (Gift From J) - The last of my sheet masks. It was all right. Still like the Lemon Mask above all the others I've tried so far.


The Body Shop Spice Vanilla Hand Cream (PR Sample) - I think this is the first time that I've finished a PR sample. I really liked the smell of it in winter but was going through some other moisturizers at the time and forgot about it. I didn't care for the scent in spring/summer but decided it had to be finished and began using it every day at some point in August. I'm sort of on a mission to finish all the body moisturizers and am currently using a Nivea Creme as hand cream at work and an old Sephora body butter as hand cream at home. I like the texture of The Body Shop hand creams though and wouldn't mind trying their regular hand creams later on (available in Almond and Rose).

Molton Brown White Mulberry Fine Liquid Hand Soap (Gift From Long Long Time Ago) - Took it to my family "camping" trip and it turned out to be a good decision because no one else brought soap. The smell reminds me of a more luxurious version of Bath & Body Works' classic White Tea stuff. I don't care for it at all but one of my sisters loved it. My favourite moment of using this was to turn it upside down to get out the last few drops!

L'Occitane Dry Skin Hand Cream (Free Travel Size from L'Occitane) - Apparently the American promotion of this product was to pass it out on the street corners for free like candy, but the Canadian promotion involved liking the brand on Facebook, clicking to the promo page, printing out the coupon and bringing it into a physical shop for redemption of the sample. Normally I'd bitch viciously about it but I FREAKING LOVE THIS HAND CREAM. Almost holy grail material and I've never had a holy grail hand cream before. I may have to try a few more duds to really appreciate this 100%.


Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar Triple Moisture Body Cream (USD$12.50/CAD$15-17 at Bath & Body Works) - I have a fondness for the Warm Vanilla Sugar line and their stuff is mostly fine by me. This was a pretty decent body cream and my skin definitely felt smoother with it on than without. But obviously, their regular prices aren't worth it without the BOGO factor. I'll probably go back to it at some point in the future out of nostalgia but not until I've gone through ALL the body creams in this house. Guess it's time for an inventory post!

Fruits & Passion Monoi Smoothing Body Scrub (CAD$24 at Fruits & Passion) - Wasn't crazy about it at first but it was because I didn't realize how it worked. It leaves a layer of oil on the skin after rinsing and you don't need to apply another moisturizing agent on top if you have relatively normal skin. I tried to apply body butters over it and the mixture caused pilling. So the thing to do is: take a normal shower with a cleansing gel or soap, then scrub limbs and hands and feet with this scrub and just gently pat a dry towel over your skin and hop into your pajamas and into bed while smelling like a very elegant tropical vacation that doesn't cause headaches or retching. Out of all the monoi things that I've been exposed lately, the Fruits & Passion line has been the best. Definitely going back for the entire line when I'm done using everything else in about a bazillion years.




Garnier Skin Naturals Pure Unclogging Gel Scrub (On clearance for $2-3 at Rexall/Pharma Plus) - I think this line is still kicking around but in a repackaged form. I can see why. While the scrub worked well (contains 2% salicylic acid) and was only slightly drying if I didn't use a toner after, the product was liquid enough that a lot more of it was dispensed if you gave the tube a hard squeeze. So while I was not trying to empty it quicker on purpose, it was used twice as much and faster due to accidental over-squeezing and spillage. Other than that, I'd buy it again. I think it did well to keep my skin clean against summer sweat and grime. But if you have dry skin, this is not your friend.

MoroccanOil Oil Treatment (Original Formula) ($39.99 + 20% discount at random hair salon) - Holy grail product despite its lack of treatment qualities. Here's why. I have wild, wavy hair that will not be tamed into a glossy mane despite my East Asian heritage. It is only with the aid of MoroccanOil that I can achieve anything close to the straight glossy locks that nature denied me. In the summer I don't bother with blow-drying, but in the fall/winter when a severely straightened hair seems to go well with a pale, well-powdered visage and berry lips? Suddenly I'm blow-drying and straight-ironing every three days without fail. The oil is a fantastic all-in-one anti-frizz and straightener. I don't need any other product after that, other than some hair spray. Plus I love the smell. Would wear it as a perfume if I could. I hear the MoroccanOil Perfume is in the works though details are scant. Anyway, it's a great styling aid but not a great treatment. It's no solution to dry or damaged locks - you need to trim those and protect them from heat and overstyling. Use this to protect before, not to treat after.


Zoya Remove + ($16.99 at Trade Secret) - Nail polish remover that smells like lavender, looks like a pretty violet potion in a cool plastic bottle and removes polish without hassle and damaging the nail? YES, PLEASE. This round of empties is full of holy grail products and this is another. However, it's pretty pricey for some nail polish remover. Consider the no name brands and Sally Hansen at $3.99 for the same size. I've heard of people mixing acetone with glycerin to come up with their own formula dupes and whatnot, but I'm so not DIY like that and have no idea where to even get acetone. Whatever. Using a giant bottle of OPI remover right now and will deal with the repurchase issue when the time arrives. I kept the bottle and refilled it with the OPI since the pump dispenser is so much handier than tilting a bottle upside down and risk spilling it all. Lovely product. Would buy a salon size on discount if I knew where to go!


And finally a FAIL AND TOSS.

Boscia Skincare Essentials Set (Sephora 500 Points Perk) - I was so excited to try this because I'm a huge fan of the Boscia Purifying Gel Cleanser and their blotting linens. A part of me was ready to pledge allegiance to the brand without even trying out the rest of their stuff. Well, it's a good thing I tried this sampler pack because something just did not agree with my skin. I broke out from using the Cleansing Oil, the Daily Hydration and the Eye Treatment. The only thing I thought that was decent was the primer, surprisingly. It's no Hourglass Veil Mineral, but it tucks nicely into my travel makeup bag on rushed mornings and does create a smoother canvas for makeup application and keeps the face matte for a few hours. Out of scientific curiosity, I've passed on the products to my sister to see if she'd have the same results (with crossed fingers that it would not occur) but she's busy finishing up some Clinique stuff first.


TOTAL:


Today's Total
Jumbo: 1
Regular: 8
Travel/Sample: 2
Tossed: 1

2012 Total
Jumbo: 5
Regular: 71
Travel/Sample: 22
Tossed: 10

It just hit me that we're getting close to 2013. WHEN??? HOW??? I could easily hit 100 empties by the end of December. The problem is trying not to add more to the to-be-emptied pile. Shit... my head is still reeling from the 2013 thing. Can't type anymore.

37 comments:

  1. I haven't tried the actual Remove+, but I can totally vouch for the homemade stuff - it's awesome. Works really well to remove nail polish, better than most nail polish remover, and is moisturizing. I buy acetone at the drugstore, Sally Beauty, or any beauty supply store. It's very very cheap - $3 for a huge bottle.

    Also, you are so good at using things up! I might have my first empties post coming up soon - I'm 99% done with a powder (only a tiny bit remaining around the edges).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accetone is actually really hard to find around these parts. It might be at Walmart but it's definitely not in the drugstores or the beauty supply stores. I might have to hunt it down but I hate going to Walmart so much. :s

      Yay! Congratulations! :) Looking forward to reading it!!

      Delete
  2. Nice Empties post, Liz!! I'm so glad that you didn't buy the full-size Boscia products only to learn that your skin was going to break out!! Have a lovely weekend!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?? So disappointed though. Seems like such a great brand. Thanks and hope your weekend was lovely!

      Delete
    2. I hate when that happens though! When you have high hopes for something working because the line has in the past- it's pretty disappointing when you have to deal with it causing unpleasant skin eruptions!!!!

      Delete
  3. Nice job! I learned about the Garnier cleanser being bad for dry skin the hard way :( it was a sad, sad month! I remember liking the moisturizer that came with the line, though. Have you tried anything else from that line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. !!!

      I haven't tried any of the others except for a face wipe from the green series (I think for sensitive skin?) I'm swimming in skin care right now though - will be a while before I buy anything!

      Delete
  4. You continue to amaze me with your emptying skills! I haven't checked out Fruits & Passion in forever since it seems like there are only 2 in all of Vancouver, but I'm going to now.
    I've never allowed myself to splurge on the real Zoya Remove+ to compare, but the DIY version works pretty awesome imo. You can pick up a large bottle of pure acetone from any drugstore next to the nail polish remover, add just a bit of glycerin, and water, then shake the bottle until the glycerin is mixed in. If you still see glycerin bits floating around at the bottom, add more water and done! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of F&P in Toronto but they never seem to have any customers - not sure how they're surviving!

      I honestly never see acetone being sold in drugstores around here. But thanks for the tip! I'll definitely give it a try if I come across a bottle.

      Delete
  5. You should try Loodie's DIY verison of Remove+, it's awesome. And acetone is right next to the nail polish remover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that post and it's only a matter of tracking down the acetone. I swear, it's not sold in our drugstores for some reason.

      Delete
  6. The Boscia stuff breaks me out, too - except for the cleansing oil. I like that stuff, actually, but I prefer my Clinique Cleansing Milk.

    It's so funny, because body lotion is the thing I buy the least of, I think. I usually only have one on hand, and then buy a new one when I'm about to run out. Also, do you have access to a Costco? They sell facial cottons in a huge pack (well, it's a pack of packs, if you know what I mean) for a ridiculously cheap price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I like cleansing oils... love the theory but hate it in execution. :(

      You're so good about stuff like that. It takes me forever to finish body moisturizers but I insist on grabbing anything that looks intriguing. And we always have this conversation whenever I finish cottons - I keep forgetting about Costco! Will have to tag along with my parents on their next expedition. And try not to get distracted by bulk size food items instead.

      Delete
    2. What? You don't want enough goldfish to swim in?

      Delete
  7. I always love reading and looking at empties posts. It motivates me so much! Yours is amazing! I've been piling up a little empties bag too, and I can't wait to post my first empties post. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! Been at it for a while so it's become pretty routine now. Can't wait to read yours when you do!

      Delete
  8. Indeed! How could this year gone through so quickly like your products!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohooooo, empties! I totally didn't do my August empties because I was busy doing my NYC posts... and then forgot about them. And now we're halfway into September (!!!). :P

    The Zoya remover and L'Occitane hand cream are also my holy grails. :) MoroccanOil was also a holy grail... until I found Bumble and Bumble's Hairdresser's Invisible Oil. It's super-expensive in Canada ($50!!! versus $38 in the US!!!) but I picked it up in NYC and I find that it leaves hair shinier than MoroccanOil but feels lighter and leaves no residue. Not sure how it'll work on your curlier hair, though.

    So far, I'm not a huge fan of Boscia's skincare. :( I spent so much money on the stuff, too. Don't get me wrong, they're not terrible, but they're definitely not my favourite and for the price, I won't be re-purchasing their stuff. Their Blotting Linens are the best, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that just means we have a MEGA EMPTIES post to look forward to - yes!!

      I also can't deal with the high cost of B&B products despite their awesomeness and I'm glad I never tried their oil. Right now my hair is quite long so I don't like the idea of using a lot of expensive products on it and am trying to work through all the mousses and gels right now. Maybe after I cut it I'll give the B&B oil a test...

      Boo on Boscia. BOOOOOOO!!

      Delete
    2. Liz, did you call me? I thought I heard something.

      Delete
  10. I think you do need some sort of theme song. OK, so here are a few (albeit figurative as opposed to literal) suggestions:

    1. Ain't No Stopping Us Now - McFadden and Whitehead
    2. I Need Lover That Won't Drive Me Crazy _ John Cougar Melloncamp
    3. I'm Not Your Stepping Stone - The Monkees
    4. I'm On Fire - Bruce Springsteen
    5. Ballroom Blitz - The Sweet
    6. Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones

    This list makes it sound like we're angry with our hoard. I was just having fun looking for random theme songs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait wait wait, one more, Kool Moe Dee I Go To Work, I need to stop, I don't why but this was a good stress reliever.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! I don't really think these are angry songs. And I like The Ramones. The winner from the list, however, is "Ain't No Stopping Us Now"! THERE IS NO STOPPING THE EMPTIES REVOLUTION.

      Delete
    3. Another good one is "Another One Bites The Dust". Queen was an awesome live band. Freddy in them shorts.

      Delete
  11. You'll easily do 100 empties Liz! YES, YES, YES! to the L'Occitane hand cream - my absolute favourite too - the butteriness, the scent - can't fault that stuff at all. I do like TBS hand creams too and enjoyed the rose scented tube :) Another impressive month for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me fall in love with the entire L'Occitane shea range. I have the body scrub and now want the body butter to match it up. Yet the last thing I need is more body butters!!!! >_<

      Delete
  12. How do you use up these thingssss???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to do a post to answer that question! :)

      Delete
    2. Xiao, I have the same question!
      Liz, I'm shocked and agog at your emptying abilities. I've accomplished so little since your last empties post.

      Delete
    3. I love that word "agog"!

      It's not a race and as long as you're still making the effort... :)

      Delete
  13. The only thing I've ever tried from Boscia, is a sample of their BB Cream which did so NOT agree with my skin, although I have heard mixed reviews on their products. I totally love L'Occitane's hand cream as well, and I agree with you: definitely holy grail status! As to Moroccanoil, I'm with you (yet again!) and would slather it on as perfume if I could -- love it! I'm also with you (see a trend happening here?!) on the Shisheido cottons; recently I picked up 2 packets using my Pharmaprix points, and I refuse to use anything else on my face -- they're truly amazing (never thought I'd say that about facial cottons, lol!). Liz, reading your empties posts has become as addictive for me as preparing them must be for you! Congrats, my friend!
    PS: The new bag is still looking gooooooood!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really on board with the BB cream fad, aside from the powder versions that are now coming out rapidly from Canadian drugstore brands of all places (!). What can I say, Eugenia? Great minds... ;) We love quality products and talking about them is fun! Thanks for your lovely comment and hope you're having a fabulous week! xx

      Delete
  14. You power through these things like nobody's business Liz!! I always feel my empties are meager by comparison :P I have the same sample size of the Boscia makeup remover, and I don't love it but it hasn't broken me out. I'm going to have to check out that L'Occitane hand cream when the store opens here (which I think was...today, actually!), I'm running low on my bedside and work hand creams so I'm due for a new one :) I also have used the Shiseido cottons on and off, and while $9 isn't really than bad considering you get more usually than in a regular package, I always give in to the cheapiest. Maybe I'll treat myself the next time :D

    Keep up the fab work!! I know you'll get where you want to be eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've got the art down for sure now, but so do you! But I've seen a lot of crazy empties that leave me stupified and even more meager. :s

      How exciting! I love L'Occitane, as you know. Halifax is staying on top of beauty! And that's my take with the Shiseido cottons - use as a treat every other purchase. Currently back to my $2 cottons from Rexall and I don't mind in the least, knowing that I can splurge next time. :)

      Delete
  15. Ugh lotions will be the death of my emptying career! I am literally living in lotion hell right now. Why can't they just empty themselves?! *cries* At least I'm out of shampoo & conditioner hell now. I just emptied a jumbo bottle of shampoo that I've been using for over TWO YEARS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashlex, I felt the same way about lotions a few months ago but decided I was going to use ALL of them no matter what! Use them as hand creams and foot creams and reapply a bazillion times a day if necessary, LOL. My eyes bugged out at the two years shampooing endeavour but I just remembered that I'm trying to do the same with a jumbo hair conditioner that's not even at the halfway mark right now. -__-

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.