Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What's in my makeup bag?

It's been a while since my last "what's in my makeup bag" post. First, the bag switched. This is the first makeup bag that I've ever spent money on, and it was only $5 from H&M. I got it in spring when ORANGE was all the rage, and the colour just perked me up. Because there are so many free makeup bags accrued at home from GWPs (gifts with purchases), I never felt the need to buy a bag before. But none of them were the size, design or colour I wanted. It's a small thing, but I was tired of putting up with things I didn't care for, just because they were free. It was a good change to make.


Non-makeup content: Perfume atomizer (filled with Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarine-Basilic in spring/summer, Caudalie The des Vignes in fall/winter); mini x-acto knife (lifelong handy habit); Tylenol container filled with half Tylenol, half other pills and vitamins as needed.



Makeup Content:


SilkyGirl BB Powder Foundation (reviewed here) - Already hit pan on my second compact. It turns out that my sister loves it too, so there's only two more new compacts left between us, presumably one each. She is renouncing the Laura Mercier and Shiseido powder foundations that she used to love and is relying on this also. I'm going to switch to liquid foundation for winter and come back to this in spring/summer when I get extra sweaty and oily again. But this is so super handy. I've taken up the habit of just applying primer on my face and dipping into this for coverage during the 1-hour subway ride to work. (Apparently I don't care to impress anyone at my bus stop. Heh.)


By Terry Velvet Cream Blush in Peach Nude - I might actually hit pan on this. HIT PAN ON BLUSH - O THE ANTICIPATION!!! While I like the idea of cream blush, I find that too many are sticky and dewy on the face. This one goes on velvety smooth and immediately sets to a powder finish. It blends impeccably and seamlessly and I might cry when it runs out since it's not available in Canada anymore.

Annabelle Blush On in #32 Pronto - It's my new favourite (see mini review here). I don't have a travel blush brush to pack in the bag, so I haven't really been carrying it around... but it's on the list of things to get/do.


MAC Electric Cool Shadow in Superwatt - Reviewed here. I just love the spongey powdery texture of this shadow. The shimmer looks fantastic on the lid and it's easy to tote around as well as to pat on to the lid without a brush. LOVE.

MUFE Aqua Cream in #15 Taupe - I've really been digging into this pot recently (like, literally) and didn't like it in the past because it sets so quickly that it's hard to blend out. Lately I've been packing this on the lids on days when I wear glasses because a lot of eye makeup looks strangely sexier behind the lens. This is a brownish taupe that looks almost bronze rather than a cool taupe, and I like to apply a wash of it over the lid and add a double layer of it on the outer corners of my hooded eyes and blend with black pencil eyeliner, which produces a unique shimmery dark shade that I should probably devote a separate post to.


MUFE Eyebrow Pencil in #4 Dark Taupe - The shade is a warmer brown than my natural hair, but the next darkest in #5 was way too dark and overpowers my face (that was a few years ago, though - I may need to reassess). I plan on trying out the Aqua Brows eventually, but until then, this pencil works well. I finally conquered my brows and lowered the arch so that the brows are straighter and more symmetrical. It's mind-boggling to me that I stopped doing my brows for a period of 2-3 years, because now I have to fill in my brows every morning with this pencil.

Prestige Waterproof Eyeliner in Black - For CAD$7, it does a decent job. Now that I've spent a few months with it, I find that while it does stay put well for 8-9 hours during cool seasons and does resist removal, it manages to smudge ever so slightly by the 10th hour and will give you the full-blown raccoon eyes by the 12th. Still, it's the easiest liner to apply while in a hurry. Reviewed here.

Lancome Hypnose Star Mascara in Noir Midnight - I mentioned this mascara in a recent post and the love is going strong. If you can spend CAD$33 on a mascara, BUY IT. The smaller tip is perfect for getting into the lashes at the inner and outer corner and the formula is flawless. Sooty black lashes in seconds!


Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Plum - I was "saving" this for some stupid reason and decided it was time to start working it down to an empty tube.

See? Progress!


I tend to switch lippies around on a regular basis and try not to carry more than 2-3 in the bag. Pictured are my recent faves: Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple, Revlon Colorburst Gloss in Bordeaux and NARS Pure Matte in Amsterdam.


And there you have it. Everything fits nicely into the bag and it's not too heavy or disorganized. Not shown are hand creams, lip balms, blotting sheets and floss and things like that, which are carried in separate pockets of my purses or kept in drawers at work and home.

I've been wondering lately that, as a makeup minimalist when it comes to actually wearing makeup, whether it's possible for me to get rid of the rest of my permanent collection and just live on these for the next year or two. And the immediate and consistent answer is always no. No, no, no. Although I may not wear everything all the time, I love having some choices to make and experimenting from time to time as inspiration hits. As always, I drift between "too much" and "too little" without drawing a hard line anywhere. More on that later.

How have your makeup travel bag changed over the years?

26 comments:

  1. Great post! I don't carry any makeup with me most of the time during the day - just lip balm. When I go out at night, I usually have makeup wipes, powder, and whatever lip product I'm wearing, but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! If I put on my face at home, I try to leave with just a compact and a lippie. But generally, I like having options wherever I go. :)

      Delete
  2. I love peeking into other people's makeup bags :D Nice to see your well stocked bag and nicer to see products getting used! Lovely bag too, orange and pink!
    I am practically living out of my makeup bag since 4 months! I stuffed a purse/bag with whatever I thought I used the most before I moved and the rest is being shipped. I have survived on 2 foundations, 2 blushes, 1 powder, 2 or 3 lipsticks, a few eyeliners and 1 eyeshadow palette! Gasp!! Can't wait to get all my stuff back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Su! Yeah, I'm all about using now. :)

      I can't believe it's been four months already! You're so patient. Only two blushes! lol

      Delete
  3. Yes, you must devote a separate post to the eye makeup. And yes, I usually throw on glasses when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to do any makeup, but for some reason intense eye makeup looks wonderful behind lenses. What. The. Hell. Defeats the purpose of just throwing on glasses, right??? ._.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to wear glasses because it reminds me of being tired and sleepless, but it's sort of fun now to wear it and put on a lot more eye makeup than usual! I KNOW. :s

      Delete
  4. Yay, love these posts for us closet (or not so closet?) nosy parkers. :D Love your selection of neutral eyeshadows and fall lippies - I actually have Bordeaux in my bag right now!

    I have one small makeup/toiletries bag in my purse that I always forget about. I end up using what's in my embarrassingly overstocked work "beauty" drawer for mid-day touch ups but my main makeup bag is in the car. I put on my battle face as the hubby drives us to work each day. And THAT makeup bag never changes until something is empty (great for my empties collection but bad for using the rest of my collection!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that so many people are just as nosy as I am! Actually, I was reminded of your post on how you do your face during the car ride to work. :) Haha, I want to see that overstocked work beauty drawer now!!!

      Delete
  5. I always wear my glasses and always wear eye makeup with them. I kind of hate contacts-it's so dry here in Alberta and my eyes ache if I wear them. My eyes actually can squeak if i rub them-that's how dry they are haha. It's kind of gross, but cool too. :) Freaks out the family.
    I tend to be a minimalist too though, but I just like trying things out. Although lately I haven't actually bought anything in a long, long time. I seem to be satiated right now, although I am going to California next week and that GA foundation is calling my name. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to wear disposable contacts because the regular ones dry out my eyes. I think I know the noise you're talking about - I do that when I get itchy allergy eyes and my family freaks out, too!

      I think your tastes have evolved and you're waiting to scoop up the good stuff during the next opportunity. Can't wait to see what you end up with!

      Delete
  6. I always carry around lip balm, a lipstick, and handcream on a daily basis in my handbag but I have an "emergency" makeup bag for when I need to do my makeup on the go. I haven't swapped products out in a year. I generally keep things in there that are easy to apply without needing a full sized brush so all the applicators are in their respective palettes. BB cream is a life saver in such situations. Though I think I should look into that bag and toss out products that may be too old to use. I have this strange fear of cream blushes festering bacteria more than any other product - lol! I also agree that while I can wear a much loved look for weeks on end, I would still need variety. Though the question is always how much variety does a girl need before you feel satisfied? So am looking forward to your post where you explore the too much and too little divide. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same paranoia with cream blushes, too! But it's coupled at the same time with the hoarding issue, so I'm just doing my best to hit pan and give some of them a toss! lol

      Good question about variety. The answer to how much is always in flux depending on situation and it's so difficult to pin down for even just one blog post. Still, I shall try. :)

      Delete
  7. The rules at my workplace changed a couple months ago and we're only allowed to take clutches with us now, so I haven't actually been toting a make-up bag around. I only carry the Jack Black lip balm, an odd selection of current lip products and a pack of blotting sheets that I actually never use even though I do get very oily sometimes. And so true about glasses and eye make-up! I have quite prominent frames so 'minimal' eye make-up just looks very odd in contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, sounds like good old security issues. :(

      You look so good with/without glasses that none of this matters to you! Hahaha. Sometimes I just blot the nose because that's where it gets the shiniest and ignore the rest of the face. :)

      Delete
  8. You know, these types of posts always appeal to my inner voyeur! I have a small makeup bag in my purse, but as it's the size of a pencil case, I rarely have anything more than a gloss, eyeliner and perhaps lipstick in there - gotta check though, to be sure, lol! My travel bag though, is a whole other ball of wax. Depending on how long I'll be away, it could resemble a small suitcase or a bulging lunchbox, hahaha! Maybe I'll prepare a post of my own -- it'll probably help me refine my needs and pack smarter! Thanks for sharing, Liz (PS: still loving that MAC shadow!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when the voyeurs identify themselves!

      Yes, do a post! It doesn't necessarily have to be what you actually carry. It could be a "what I would carry" as well. I loved your beauty vault series so much. Maybe you can show off some purses at the same time. ;)

      Delete
  9. I am so done with GWP makeup bags too. I don't know why I put up with crap bags for so long. It's not like a good makeup bag is that expensive either and they last forever!
    /rant over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT????? When I cull my products, I'm putting all the GWP bags I don't use into the donation box. DONE AND DONE.

      Delete
  10. I love look of the by Terry blush! For the longest time I've lingered over her products but I just can't justify the prices down here, as with so many prestige brands as you've heard so many times before... It always interests me how we favour different things in our makeup bags - you're so disciplined with your lip choices but I'm completely the opposite. I think my makeup bag's probably just too big because I toss products in there and forget about them. I was shocked to realize I'd accumulated no less than eight lipglosses in there! I should probably do one of these posts myself but I'm afraid it will read like a comedy routine (or an episode of 'Hoarders') LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By Terry is phenomenal but was SO expensive here - I can't imagine what outrageous price tag it would come with in AUS. :(

      I can't stand being weighed down by useless things and I don't change my lip colour more than 2-3 times a day, if at all. My post was pretty tame so I'd love to see yours! Dooooooooo it!!!

      Delete
    2. Right - You're on! And after that cathartic exercise I'll cull my makeup bag back to the essentials. I just know I'll hear you laughing all the way from Toronto...

      Delete
  11. i loved this makeup bag too! I wish I had bought it now, but I was also not in need of any more little pouches :) good job with sugar plum so far, and I love mandarin basilic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! I'm almost finished with the full bottle of Mandarine-Basilic, believe it or not. It will be my first perfume empty. :D

      Delete
  12. Love the selection in your make-up bag! :) For some reason, I love the Fresh Sugar Lip Balms, but I am nowhere near even making a dent into one of them. :P BUT I ALWAYS WANT A NEW ONE.

    I feel like I keep less and less make-up with me now. It's mostly lip products and blotting sheets because I always do my make-up at home so I only bring what I need to touch up.

    I am now really intrigued with the new Lancome mascara... But it makes me seriously cringe to pay that much for mascara without a discount... :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a nosy girl and I squeal when I see a post like this pop up in RSS feed. Thanks for sharing. :)

    In my little pouch: floss card, NUXE lip balm (stick), Paula's Choice lip balm with SPF, a cuticle oil pen I'm trying to finish, a 5g sample pot of Aquaphor, a couple packets of sunscreen (I keep forgetting to use these), sample tube of SPF 60 sunscreen, a disposable mascara spoolie for my brows, brow pencil, a small mirror, and some coupons.

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.