Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sample Month Day 1: Giorgio Armani Fluid Master Primer

Welcome to Sample Month!

Today we examine this USD$57 primer - details can be found at the Armani product page here. Nordstrom lists it for CAD$59.53, which means it's definitely over $60 from Canadian retailers such as Holt Renfrew. In fact - and correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think we have any other retailer that carries Armani cosmetics. If I wanted to sample and buy Armani in Toronto, I'd head to Holt Renfrew immediately.


I had the chance to test this 5ml / 0.1 fl.oz. sample (which feels half-empty after two squirts) this morning on the commute to work. I haven't been sleeping well the past couple of nights, so while yawning and wishing I had had time to grab a coffee before jumping into the subway, I decided to slap on some makeup in the train before a tall handsome stranger walks in and makes me regret being so lazy again. (That almost never happens - I don't know why so many people on the public transit look like they're practically homeless. Well, I probably do, too, pre-makeup.)

Upon releasing a small dot on the back of my hand, I was initially unimpressed by the clear silicon-y gel texture. "Soooo typical," I thought snidely. "Just like Smashbox." And then almost immediately, I ate those words. OH. MY. GOD. I have never felt a primer so incredibly smooth - and I'm a devoted primer gal. I've tested a lot of primers in my lifetime. Never have I felt its equal. I started to rub the product into my right cheek and froze as it melted over the flesh in seconds and produced a canvas that felt incredibly soft and velvety to the touch. I quickly smoothed it over my entire face, concentrating on the T-zone. As I started to smooth my trusty SilkyGirl BB Powder Foundation on top, I was still amazed over the smoothness and glide this primer provided.


But alas, it was too good to be true. By 10am, during my first washroom break when I decided to put on some eye makeup, my face shone like the goddamn sun during high noon. SHINY. OILY. Smooth but GLEAMING. I had to use TWO blotting sheets to take care of that.

Ah, disappointment. But not completely. I'm still salivating over the incredible smoothness of the primer's texture and results. If I were a dry/normal/combination type, I'd probably pay the rather steep price to touch my baby-smooth face all day everyday. It's out of the question for me to rely on this product as my regular primer, but I'll finish the sample by using it on my cheeks where extra glow can be nice to have. As a bonus, I did not detect any scent nor did the primer cause me to grow a new zit. Almost a win.

Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, dimenthicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer.

Made in France.
 
Product provided by Loose Button.

25 comments:

  1. Ever since Holt's started carrying Armani Beauty, I have slowly become a devoted (read: maniacal addict) of their products - not everything, mind you, but a good chunk of it. I have an Armani wishlist that's as long as my arm, but I hadn't read anything about their primer -- until now! Sounds like I need to get me some of that! Will be sampling (and potentially buying) this on the weekend - thanks, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't occur to me when I was writing this but you're right - we don't see much of their primer featured in the blogosphere! (The small corners I traverse, anyway.) I've only tried one Armani foundation and it didn't work out. I haven't gone back to them since though their ETK pots have me drooling shamelessly. Let me know how that primer works out!

      Delete
  2. I don't know much about primers so I feel like I can't really contribute to this conversation except to say that this post made me giggle. Just...all the things. And I'm not Canadian but I think Armani is only available at Holts, judging by the ads I saw while in Vancouver: "exclusively at Holt Renfrew." Which is actually kind of hard to say. What the heck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks for giggling. :) I've forgotten about "exclusively at Holt Renfrew" which you're probably right about. Maybe the phrase is easier on the Canadian tongue? lol

      Delete
  3. Had to butt in with a PS here...

    For now, Armani Beauty is a Holt's exclusive (in Québec, it's only available at the Montréal store - go figure), but a little bird told me that the word is that a certain popular cosmetics retailer may soon be carrying the line as well....nothing substantiated, of course, but a girl can hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's a certain place where points can be used to redeem for products, I certainly hope so! ;D

      Delete
    2. Sadly, no....I would have SOOOOOOO loved that :(

      Delete
  4. That is one exxy primer! Sometimes you just have to glad for a product not working out for you! Saves $$$ :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem with most primers :( I loved your descrption of the texture though, LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like it was babbling more than describing but as long as my thoughts were put out there. ;)

      Delete
  6. ACCCCK I LOVE YOU LIZ OMG IS NEED THIS. My skin has been hopelessly dry-parched in fact. I have lost all oil production except for my stinkin' eyelids. It so much work to wear foundation lately that I've been skipping it. I will get this next week on holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if Laura Mercier Hydrating Primer or a serum primer like the ones from Hourglass and CoverFX wouldn't be better for super dry skin? But I'd certainly love to hear your thoughts on this Armani one so we can know conclusively!

      Delete
  7. This sounds like it could work for dry skin, I wish my skin was that smooth naturally! But not lasting until 10am? Not too good for anyone who gets any semblance of shine on their skin. I want to pick up the Armani eyeshadows, I might see if they will give me a sample of this to try when I do ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good idea! I should hope that they're generous with samples there given the outrageous prices you guys have to pay. I can't even imagine with Armani in AUS dollars. X_____X

      Delete
  8. I am still starting to try a variety of primers. Each one is more impressive than the next! This one seems a bit pricey. Your reaction to the smoothness reminds me of how I was when I first tried the benefit porefessional haha! (which I now have mixed feelings about for various reasons)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, it was a long time ago since I tried my first Benefit but your story reminded me of how amazed I was at their Dr. Feelgood balm! It was very much like this first brush with the Armani primer. And yep, I now have very mixed feelings about Benefit in general, lol.

      Delete
  9. I'm a primer virgin so I wouldn't know what to expect. My face can get a bit shiny by afternoon naturally so the idea of shininess before noon doesn't appeal at all. Definitely a good idea to sample and try before you buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked putting liquid foundation directly on skin, so as soon as the primer concept hit the scene, I was ON IT. The first one I tried was the original Smashbox primer, which I liked initially and now despise. Blotting and powdering is fine for a little shine, but I'm much more oilier than you are. I think this would work fine on your skin actually!

      Delete
  10. Oh, man, it sounded SO GOOD and then I read SHINY. OILY. GLEAMING. :(

    BOOOO.

    I seriously need to give you a tube of MAC's Face Protect SPF 50 to try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting about that! So many primers out there now. I'll remind you to get me a sample for our next meet-up. ;)

      Delete
  11. My dry skin may like this... and ALSO I tend to look homeless most of the time thanks to school. But like, a pretty homeless person ... if I'm not hungover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahahahaha!! Well, a pretty hungover student is drastically different from just homeless. ;)

      Delete
  12. Ah, that's too bad about this one. I've heard so many good things too and was really curious :/ But I seem to always have similar results with clear, silicone-y primers. It all seems lovely at first but then once my oil soaks through, it almost seems to magnify the effects of my oiliness and create a really disgusting layer of slippery grease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! I should include "disgusting layer of slippery grease" in the review, lol.

      Delete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.