Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sample Month Day 11: Ojon Hair Hydrating Styling Cream

First, there's no need to pay particular attention if you don't own this, because this product no longer exists. Ojon revamped itself at some point last year, and the most similar product out there is called Dry Recovery Hydrating Smoothing Cream. A friend gave this product to me in an Ojon kit on my last last birthday, and I was saving it for who knows what - so, obviously it was way time to break into it and give it a whirl. Long story short: I can see why Ojon got rid of it.


The claim is that it eliminates frizz, dramatically smoothes, adds definition and shine and nourishes damaged hair. My hair isn't damaged although I haven't had a hair cut for almost a year and a half. But it is now very long, frizzy and desperately requires definition and shine.

The instruction on the tube says to use a dime sized amount and rub hands together until the "Ojon microspheres" dissolve. Then apply evenly through damp hair to detangle, seal in moisture, protect, add definition and brilliant shine.

Do you see the "microspheres"?

Microspheres!

... after much blending

When I rubbed it between my palms to apply to hair, I couldn't see the damn microspheres at all and just raked a tonne of product through my hair. (It's so long that it needs a lot more than a dime sized amount.) When I was demonstrating it for blog purposes, I was miffed to see that the microspheres never fully dissolve - they just grow smaller to the naked eye. As you can see, they're still there on my hand by the last picture, even after I spent 3-5 minutes blending and blending.

As for the product's performance, it did shape my natural curls better than some other non-gel/mousse styling products. But I would need to use about half the tube to fully coat the hair to tame the frizz. By that point, I imagine my hair would be weighed down by the product and feel greasy, not soft, clean and shiny.

The product is a massive fail on most counts, but it's still better than not having anything on hand, as my hair always requires a styling product due to the frizz caused by its natural wavy texture. I'm thinking that the cream might work better on a much shorter hair that doesn't need to work so much product through it. But who has the time to blend these godawful stupid microspheres? Thinking of tossing it but tempted to keep it for shorter hair days. We'll see.

Product was gifted by a friend who purchased it from Sephora.

20 comments:

  1. Ojon has changed so much since it was bought out by L'Oreal. Everything has been watered down and doesn't work like it used to.
    It's too bad really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that what happened? Oh, man. What's the point of calling these brands by different names when they all end up being the same by the end?

      Delete
  2. Hi Liz, I'm not so familiar with Ojon, but it was fun to read this post--- the microspheres are quite interesting; your discussion makes me wonder if they're functional or more for show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cynic in me wants to say it's for show but I don't think it's something we can ever know short of taking the microspheres into a lab. Maybe I should send it to Larie for some analysis, LOL.

      Delete
  3. I have nothing meaningful to contribute except that the new Ojon oil blend is pretty. ._. And now I will go sit in a corner somewhere, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tiny sample of that, too! Will review it before the month is over. I know what you mean - that bottle has been quietly calling my name for months now. ._.

      Delete
  4. The only Ojon product I've ever really liked is the original (stinky) Restorative Treatment. This does seem a little gimmicky - maybe that's why it was discontinued? I did not realize that the company was bought out by L'Oreal, is that a good or bad thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a small jar of the stinky treatment. *sigh* lol

      Wish I could say the L'Oreal buyout was a good thing but I don't really know the brand well enough! It just seems a bit silly though that the big company gobbles up all the little ones and make them all similar by the end. The uniqueness of a brand suffers.

      Delete
  5. LOL @ "Long story short: I can see why Ojon got rid of it."

    The only thing I have ever tried from Ojon was a shampoo that I picked up at one of the Estee Lauder warehouse sales. And it smelled really bad and didn't make my hair feel or look any nicer.

    I don't have super-frizzy hair, but it is coarse and damaged from heat styling/blow drying, and I'm loving Bumble and Bumble's Hairdresser's Invisible Oil. Keeps my hair smooth, silky, and shiny without adding any extra weight whatsoever (it honestly doesn't even feel like there's product in my hair) And I can keep running my hands through my hair without making it look greasier (unlike Moroccan Oil). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of Ojon samples and I realize now that I hate hair samples. Hair products are the worst. I hate hair!

      I still prefer MO when heat-styling though because it works well for my hair texture - plus I love the smell. Haven't tried the B&B products you mentioned but they are duly noted!

      Delete
  6. Agree with Larie- I want to try the oil blend purely because it is beautiful. Looking forward to your review of it!
    I think these do seem a bit gimmicky, and too much effort when other products blend the goodness together for you. I've been using Kerastase and some Organix lately, but have never tried Ojon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go back and forth on the Kerastase Elixir. It's definitely not worth its price tag but some days I really like it and other days it seems to do nothing. Ugh, I hate hair. This is when I really envy men.

      Delete
  7. For taming frizz and smoothing my hair, I really like Dove Nourishing Oil Caree Leave-in smoothing cream. it does a great job and doesnt leave my hair greasy or weigh it down. A great product for a small price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of trying that but I have SO MANY hair products to get through! lol Their bottle is quite small though.

      Delete
  8. I love your hair long, Liz -- and I also fully remember your last hair cutting fiasco *shudder*!! I think I have a sample of this as well; not sure where or how I ended up with it, probably some Sephora perk or some such, and I've never even been tempted to try and use it. Now, after having read your experience with it, I do believe I'll just chuck it ... if it ever re-surfaces, that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, I knooowwwww! The hair is definitely overdue for a trim though. I just hate dealing with hair so much. :< I hope this remains lost in your beauty vault for eternity. The post-apocalyptic aliens can play with the microspheres.

      Delete
  9. Oh dear, what an unfortunate fail. Whose idea were the microspheres? Here's hoping they were fired (or forced to spend eternity trying to get them to dissolve, ha!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! If only you could punish your wayward students with such a task! ;)

      Delete
  10. I didn't know Ojon was bought by L'Oreal! Interesting. And definitely sad. I have a sample of some oil by the brand I've been using and liking OK. Wouldn't repurchase though, and hearing this news I'm glad I don't love it. I get tired of these conglomerates buying everything and mass producing and making the quality of products go to shit.

    On a side note, I'm interested to see pictures of your long hair!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know enough about Ojon to agree if L'Oreal buying it had any impact on quality, but I definitely don't like seeing the uniqueness of a brand stripped until only price variations remain for whatever reason.

      Ugh, my hair is disgustingly long and limp right now. I really really need a cut or a trim at least. :x

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Commenting is open to any registered user.

In order to reduce spam, comments containing self-promotional links and URLs will not be approved. Also, comments for posts older than 10 days are moderated and will not appear on the page until they have been approved.