Monday, November 19, 2012

Sample Month Day 19: L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream

It's the lauded favourite of many. I finished using a travel size of it and liked it so much that when I received an offer to get 15% off at a local store event, I practically ran there during a lunch hour. At CAD$30, can it be justified?


According to L'Occitane:

Enriched with 20% Shea Butter, this hand cream penetrates quickly to protect, nourish and moisturize* your hands. Rapidly absorbed with no oily traces, this hand cream doesn't need to be reapplied even after frequent hand washing. The minimal scent makes it suitable for men and women. Invites even the most hard-working hands to a fresh beginning!


The cream is very thick and initially feels greasy, but that's how I prefer my hand creams. I spend long minutes massaging them into the skin and around the cuticles, which is about the only cuticle care I give to my poor nails. As far as hand creams go, this is my current favourite. In the past I have been satisfied with using thick body butters instead, but I happen to be out of that sort of product at the moment. My skin absorbs the cream well with just a touch of slickness on the surface, which does protect the hand from a light brush with water at the kitchen sink. 


My favourite part about this hand cream is the scent. It's the scent that I wanted Cake Milk Made to smell like. Fresh and clean without being citrusy or soapy; milky and creamy without being sweet or powdery. It just stops short of smelling like Johnson's baby products (which I actually kind of enjoy sometimes) and imparts a sense of richness and decadence as an overall experience.

Whether the price is worth it is debatable. I consider it a winter indulgence and some will consider it an all-year necessity. It hasn't even snowed yet but I'm heading into a rather rough winter. It's kind of silly, but little things like a nice hand cream helps lull me into a false sense of security and ease now and then. I need to hang on to those moments, because right now, whatever helps wins the day. So this hand cream? It's full of win.

Ingredients:  Water**, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)**, Glycerin**, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol**, Glyceryl Stearate**, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract**, Mel Extract/Honey Extract**, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Fruit Extract**, Althaea Officinalis Root Extract**, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil**, Brassica Campestris (Rapeseed) Sterols**, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract**, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil**, Xanthan Gum**, Parfum/Fragrance, Polyacrylamide, Peg-100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Ceteareth-33, Alcohol Denat**, Laureth-7, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Linalool, Citronellol**, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Coumarin, Alpha, Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene**, Geraniol. 

**Natural origin ingredients

Purchased at L'Occitane.

27 comments:

  1. OOOO this looks pretty. I think after I finish my hemp hand cream from The Body Shop (which will be 10 years) I will give this a test. I like greasy hand creams too! It's kind of therapeutic to massage your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard TBS hemp cream was good! I was so tempted to buy their rose & almond hand creams but couldn't deal with the scents all day long. You can try mine when we meet up. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love this hand cream, too! I always buy the mini versions though, so that I can take it in my handbag for use during the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved toting around the mini version! This one is humongous by comparison but so is my usual day bag, so I find that it's fine. :)

      Delete
  3. I would slather this all over everything if I could, lol! Hands down, this hand cream will always be my HOLY GRAIL product and I have tubes of it in practically every drawer, purse, cabinet, closet, etc.....!! Seriously, I'm never without a travel size tube with me, keeping the full sized tube home which I use daily. If you loved this one, have you tried the 100% shea butter cream? It comes in a flat round tin, and it is THE product to use if you want to bring dry, cracked heels back to baby-bottom softness.

    PS: I am so totally with you re: the scent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of your deep and unrelenting love for this! I'm basically in love with the entire shea for body line, though I have not tried the 100% cream. I'm just not dry enough to warrant that. If I give my heels a good exfoliation and slap on some regular cream, it's not bad at all. Have you tried the shea line for the face? I'm wondering if they're any good for my baby sister who suffers from horribly dry winter skin. :<

      Delete
  4. Oh ho ho! I bought a travel-sized one to try during the VIB sale because I am running out of my current Cake cream. Mine has a teddy bear on it, I think. It smells amazing. Haven't tried it yet, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you? :) Let me know how you like it! It's much thicker in texture than the Cake one that's for sure.

      Delete
  5. Love this hand cream too! Just got a set in Duty Free of 3 minis that are different scents. Can hardly wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, duty free! I'm dying to hit the French airports where they are as abundant as maple syrup in ours. ;)

      Delete
  6. I totally love that hand cream as well! So good! And I agree, the smell is delicious.

    I'm going to need to start using mine religiously since my hands are starting to crack from the cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! It's painful when I don't use hand creams, even in the summer. ;o

      Delete
  7. I like this hand cream a lot too although my dermatologist wasn't too impressed when I told her I was using this, possibly because of the fragrance content ;/ I liked the scent a lot though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sure that there are cheaper and more effective creams out there, but I tend to go for the luxe pretty rather than treatment-oriented stuff since I don't have a condition/ailment. I try to treat the frivolous soul instead, lol.

      Delete
  8. This is my HG handcream! I whip it out every winter. I had so many tubes of this stockpiled, that it was a total shock to my system to find out that the price had jumped to $28 from $25... dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favorite as well! Wish they weren't quite so expensive, but I've run through many many tubes already. Hand cream is a small thing...but I don't know, the act of pulling it out after I wash my hands or just as I go about my daily business is sort of special you know?

    Or maybe I'm just talking crazy LOL
    I'm liking this sample series by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know what you mean! It's that tiny moment that we tend to ourselves through working, studying, etc. It's crucial to me that I love my hand cream or else that moment is ruined.

      Thanks, MM!

      Delete
  10. I have so much love for this hand cream. So glad you like it, too! :)

    I have so much goddamn hand cream to go through that I'm not allowing myself to buy a new tube of this stuff until I've cleared at least two more tubes. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just decided to embrace the L'Occitane love with wide open arms. ;)

      Hahahahahahaha! I know you're well-stocked. Did you know that Crabtree & Evelyn is offering another hand cream set for a super cheap price with a minimum purchase of $__. I forget what the amount is but it's low. MORE HAND CREAMS!

      Delete
  11. I don't care about the price because I freaking love this hand cream! It's yet to be topped by anything else :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and now share your love! You have me lemming the shea shower cream now, which I think I will pick up in the new year at their next promotion. :)

      Delete
  12. Sadly, the scent of this product is what keeps me from ever trying it :( I think it would be amazing, but my skin is just so effing sensitive these days I can barely use anything on it. Boo to not getting my decadence on! I could use a little sense of security and ease right about now myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! I can't imagine what I'd be doing if I had that kind of sensitivity. :(

      I'm trying to think of a good alternative to this but can't think of anything that's scent-free at the moment. :(

      Delete
  13. i don't know why, but the sample tubes i have smell floral-y to me? i dunno, i guess i'll put them in gift boxes for the holidays! i may have already lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have the floral versions out so maybe that's what you tried?

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.