Friday, November 2, 2012

Sample Month Day 2: Dior Hydra Life BB Creme

Regular size is 1.7 oz and goes for CAD$65, according to Sephora. Holy smokes. That's a lot for a BB creme, which can be found all over Asian drugstores for pennies in comparison. Good thing I scored this sample for free.

The Claim: (with my notes in red) 

What it is:  A single-step cream to immediately balance the skin (?), correct the complexion (slightly - very light coverage), and protect its youthful appearance (??).

What it is formulated to do:  Inspired by cutting-edge Asian beauty rituals and developed in collaboration with Dior Makeup Artists, HydraLife BB Crème combines the moisturizing and protective powers of a skincare product with the immediate complexion-enhancing and even-toning properties of a foundation (mehhhh). The complexion is left moisturized (yes), smooth (sure), and velvety soft (FALSE).

What else you need to know:  This product provides active defense against environmental stress (suuuure...) and broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection (whatever).


Um, so get this. It only comes in ONE SHADE. And it doesn't have a shade name.

I was taken aback by how dark the BB creme appeared. Once blended into the face, it did even out the tone slightly, as a very light coverage foundation or tinted moisturizer would do. It did manage to turn my face one or two shades darker than normal. Think NC35-40ish? I didn't apply moisturizer or primer underneath as I wanted to test the merits of the "BB" factor, which is supposed to be an all-in-one miracle product without the need for multiple steps.



I tested this on a mild Saturday in early October and took a 10 minute walk to a neighbourhood plaza. By then I was already shiny and oily. It was as if the creme never set or dried and remained rather wet. Very disconcerting to the oily skin types. Even the Josie Maran Tinted Moisturizer doesn't make me look so shiny so soon. I think Dior wasn't thinking about us oily gals at all and basically created the equivalent of a tinted moisturizer with some extra SPF pumped into it. If you have dry skin and require almost no coverage at all and are in the NC35 zone and love looking dewy, this is for you. Otherwise, I'm calling this a big, fat, expensive #FAIL.

Warning: Contains Oxybenzone

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate) 3.75%, titanium dioxide 3.55%, oxybenzone (benzophenone-3) 1.00%

Other Ingredients:  Aqua (Water), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Methyl Trimethiccone, Butylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Glycerin, Isododecane, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Nylon 6/12, Alcohol, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), Betaine, Magnesium Sulfate, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Stearate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Rosa Hybrid Flower Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ajuga Turkestanica Extract, Centella Asiatica Leaf Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Caprylyl Glycol, Alumina, Tocopheryl Acetate, Parfum (Fragrance), Propylene Carbonate, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), BHT, Aluminum Hydroxide, Citronellol, Limonene

Made in France.

Sample from Sephora e-mail promotion.

30 comments:

  1. I tried this, but it was way too dark for me, so I couldn't even wear it out of the house. I wish they had more shades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it really doesn't make any sense to put out a product like this for only a tiny fraction of the population. o_O

      Delete
  2. It makes absolutely no sense why Dior would only make a single color!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's like a weird test drive to see if they can trick people into buying it to fund more colours.

      Delete
  3. Hahahaha. This is kind of like their HydraLife tinted moisturizer, except that comes in three shades, I think. It's really dewy, though, and I can't imagine wearing it if I had oily skin. O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you saying that about their TM. I wonder how different these two actually are, if at all. I don't think I can finish using this sample.

      Delete
  4. I would be really disappointed too, I mean, this is a lot money for a glorified tinted moisturizer. Eh, Dior... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I used to love high-end foundations but just can't go there lately. This one really doesn't seem to be worth it.

      Delete
  5. I liked this one. I have dry skin. I am NW 30 and the shade suits me. I don't need much coverage. The sample was a life saver for me when I went to Uluru, amidst the dry desert heat! In spite is all these positive things, I wouldn't really buy a full size just because of the price factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, you're one of the very few that this is for! I'd give you my sample if I could. But it's so very tiny and I don't think you'd want a used sample, lol.

      Delete
  6. I REFUSE to try anymore of these expensive supposed BB creams. They are not BB creams. And sheesh-for that money you could get an Armani foundation already! That has coverage!
    Great review Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!!! ARMANIIIIIIIIIIIII. I had a fail with the Armani Luminous Silk but that's not for my skin type anyway. I'd trade this for two ETKs in a heart beat though!

      Delete
  7. I love how you've done the review! What a waste of money :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well, it works for people like Su above, but it's not viable for most due to the single shade factor.

      Delete
  8. +1 Dior, for making Western BB cream with a darker shade rather than light!
    -500 though for setting it at such a ridiculous price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahaha! That should have been the entirety of my review. :D

      Delete
  9. I misplaced my sample of this awhile ago, but I am no longer at all sad about that. Simply disgraceful! Also, awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be way too dark for you! My face and neck were completely different shades. I only wore it out because it was a bum day and I didn't care about the neighbours!

      Delete
  10. Am I the only one that is completely not interested in trying BB cream?

    I am a fan of multiple steps in my skincare and make-up. Also, considering how companies want to make MORE money, you'd think they'd stop trying to minimize routines...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really either (it's not what my skin needs) but it's good to know for sure that this doesn't work. And I'd rather skip the multi-steps for sure so I'll always be on the hunt for the minimizing product!

      Dior didn't want to miss out on the BB game but their minimal effort is really strange.

      Delete
  11. The price is way too much for a BB cream, especially one that has barely any coverage. I know that some people like light coverage, but for that price it can't really be justified, can it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can if the product proves to have benefits to the skin after continual usage... but it's no good for me. And given how it only suits such a small percentage of women out there, mehhhhhhh. Clearly Dior pushed something out to stay in the BB game, but to me it doesn't even seem worth the effort.

      Delete
  12. Had a great laugh at "...protect its youthful appearance. (??)" I have the same reaction to rhetoric like this when it comes to advertising. This seems like it could've been such a good product if they put some thought in it and put out more than one shade, and maybe something that covers well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ASSUMING that the customer has "youthful appearance" to begin with, which is a horrible presumption to make. lol

      Delete
  13. i tried this at a sephora store once, and it was just too heavy for me. the color was close though. ick. i just need an asian bb cream! and some marcelle lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! The Marcelle was all right but I'm not a huge BB cream fan. I really wish they'd all get with the colour thing and MAKE MORE SHADES. Sheesh.

      Delete
  14. Oh dear, sounds very oily indeed. Perhaps a setting powder and worn on very dry winter days could help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour is so much darker that I don't even want to bother on top of the overly wet finish! It was a free sample so no loss on my part. :)

      Delete
  15. This one's not for me - I have a mortal fear of too much shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not for you then! Also the colour doesn't match!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.