Saturday, November 24, 2012

Sample Month Day 24: Borghese Tono Body Lotion

For the longest time, Borghese to me was just a nail polish line that went sadly ignored in Shoppers Drug Mart. It wasn't until I received a lovely package from Portugal last spring that I realized they were more than nail polish. Body lotion? International? Why was I not aware of this earlier??


I had my doubts at first, as the lotion seemed very watery and I prefer thicker creams and butters. Since I was out of hand cream at the time of its arrival, I've been carrying it around and using it as a hand cream. And I actually really like it!


The runny, milky texture absorbs nicely into the skin with minimal effort, and the dominant lavender scent is something I find very soothing and comforting as of late, despite not being a big lavender fan to begin with. The skin feels soft and hydrated without feeling greasy or smothered.

After taking a look at the Borghese website, I'm interested to see that there's a body cream version of this. The prices are much higher than what I thought they would be, which leads me to believe that the brand was either very popular at one time or is currently popular in an area outside North America. I'd be interested to hear about your experience with Borghese if you have any. I don't see it carried in Shoppers as much now, but I have noticed it occupying a new section in Sears. It requires some investigation the next time I walk by the area.

I don't have an ingredient list for this, but the website FAQ states that Borghese products are not tested on animals, which is always a plus.

Received as gift.

20 comments:

  1. Actually the Borghese line of products used to be carried at Holt's (I'm talking over 20 years ago now) and was considered a high end brand indeed; their Fango Mud was highly prized and I remember coveting my jar of it! It has maintained a steady presence at high end counters in the US and worldwide, by has sadly fallen out of favour here in Canada - a shame really, as the products are quite good.

    Thanks for this post...you conjured up so many memories for me with this brand's name! That hand cream sounds pretty interesting too - especially since I have a thing for hand/body creams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the back story! I'm so glad that you were the first commenter to fill in the gap and answer some Qs. :)

      I wonder what happened to them. But it's nice that they're still floating around and I'm guessing still doing okay in Europe somewhere. :)

      Delete
  2. I should correct myself: I should have said "body lotion that you're using as a hand cream" sounds interesting, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had a gigantic tub of the cream version of this and i absolutely love it!
    they often have fabulous holiday sets for a bargain, i am waiting for them to show up so i can stock up some of my favorites.
    i like their foaming cleanser and fango mask. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhhhh, now I want the gigantic tub of body cream so badly! lol I'm so glad you know this brand!

      Delete
  4. I don't see this brand very often around here - I also have vague memories of seeing their nail polish around in drug stores, but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The NPs never appealed to me because the shades were all classic and old-fashioned and cost over $10. But their body stuff sounds good!

      Delete
  5. You can also find some of their products at Costco some times.
    I remember trying a mud mask a LONG time ago that was pretty decent.
    This sounds kind of nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I should tag along with my parents and scope it out! Boxed set of their bath stuff sounds appealing right now.

      Delete
  6. Haha, I too have always ignored Borghese in the drugstore...the brand has just never appealed to me. Interesting that it worked out so well though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? I have a love/hate thing when samples work out. Now I have to explore the rest of this brand and see if I'm missing out!

      Delete
  7. I remember Borghese used to sell as a high end department store brand years ago - then it disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be the story generally all around! I'm really interested in that body cream option but it's like $50. Yikes.

      Delete
  8. I still see Borghese floating around discount varnish bins down here in Australia, but I hadn't heard anything else about them before this post. I love the smell of lavender =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some rosemary in there as well but it smells quite lavendery to me. :) Give it a whiff when you can!

      Delete
  9. I know next to nothing about Borghese - but I do like saying the name out loud ;P I wanted to try one of their nail polish just to round out my collection, but never saw one that really *did* it for me. I have no idea where the brand might be kicking around now, but I'll keep an eye out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know how to say it because no one has ever said it around here before! Bor-GAYSE? Bor-geyse?? Bah!

      Their colours were sadly lame so I don't blame you. I just wish that body cream wasn't in the $50 zone because I really want to try it.

      Delete
  10. Nice post! ;) Good and better things are always worth sharing. I really like that brand, haven't tried a large range of its products but those few (7, so far, all unforgettably great! No regrets nor a minimal complaint). Enjoy your weekend, dear.
    Cheers.
    Kiss kiss.
    Seelah. *

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Commenting is open to any registered user.

In order to reduce spam, comments containing self-promotional links and URLs will not be approved. Also, comments for posts older than 10 days are moderated and will not appear on the page until they have been approved.