Friday, November 9, 2012

Sample Month Day 9: Tocca Stella Hand Cream

This one isn't a sample but a product review that I put off for a long time. I used to be a big fan of Tocca Stella perfume but find that lately the scent doesn't really feel very much like "me." The scent is Uber Femme, and while I still like the whiff I get from the bottle, I definitely don't enjoy its effects on me all day long. But I was in denial back in March and thought that I needed the matching hand cream to go with it. It's the collector in me - so hard to fight! I was in Anthropologie and having a really weak moment. Tocca products are some of the most gorgeously packaged things ever and I can't resist hand creams in these antique-vibe tubes.


Okay, enough with the pictures, right? (Noooo...!) The hand cream to me smells drastically different from the perfume. The perfume comes across as very soft and powdery floral while the hand cream smells clean, almost sharp, and fruity with a hint of citrus.

My stance on "hand creams" or "moisturizers" produced by perfumers haven't changed. They're kind of crappy. I was so disappointed in this because the hydration level is nowhere near as much as my hands require. But keep in mind that I prefer the really thick and heavy buttery kinds, so Tocca Stella might be perfectly fine for those who like lightweight lotions. But that's kind of what it is: light and lotion-y. It's USD$20/CAD$25 and I regret the money that was spent on it. However, I don't hate the smell and it looks lovely on my dresser, so IMMA GONNA EMPTY IT.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Vegetable Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ethyltheryl Isononanoate, Polysorbate 60, Phenoxyethanol, Isocetyl Stearate, Steareth-2, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Carbomer, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Sodium Hydroxide, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Disodium EDTA, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, BHT, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Sodium Hyaluronate, Benzyl Benzoate, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Farnesol, Glycerin, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricana) Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Geraniol, Citral, Benzyl Cinnamate, Eugenol, Punica Granatum Extract

Product was purchased at Anthropologie.

18 comments:

  1. I don't usually like hand creams from perfumers, either. And I don't really like strongly scented lotions/creams, in general, because they're meant to be applied often and I can't take all that smell. Clashes with the perfume I'm already wearing, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I love the smell, I can't get enough of it - no perfume policy at the office be damned! I'm mindful of the clashing of scents though and try to be uniform, which is part of the reason I like to buy the matching perfume and lotion, lol.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I kind of agree that most of them just aren't moisturizing enough. You need to look for one that doesn't wash off and forms a protective layer on your hands. If I could think of one, Id' tell you but apparently my brain is on vacation at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't mind when it washes off because I LOVE re-applying hand lotion! Sometimes I feel like all I do at work is drink coffee, go to the washroom and wash my hands, and apply hand cream. LOL I caved and got a giant L'Occitane shea hand cream so I'm set for like forever! ;)

      Delete
  3. Hi Liz, The packaging is really pretty, even the box! I'm always drawn to the Tocca's for their packaging, though sadly none of the scents have really spoken to me. Bianca is probably my favorite of the bunch. I typically don't buy matching fragranced lotions either, as they're quite expensive and one can mimic the effect by adding a couple spritzes to regular lotion. I also find that the scents are slightly different--- I got Chanel Chance in lotion form and really loved the smell since it was missing the heavier patchouli in the perfume form. I also tried Tocca Cleopatra lotion in Sephora the other day and really loved the grapefruit scent, again, since it lacked some of the patchouli found in the perfume version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard time discarding the box but I try not to keep boxes for products I plan on using up. (I might have fished it out of the recycling box a couple of times, LOL!) I feel the same way as you do re: Tocca - and I'll also add Fresh to that list. Beautiful products but not really for me in the end. That's a good point about the missing patchouli - I wonder why they leave it out?

      Delete
  4. I love Tocca's packaging, but I still have yet to try anything from them. I'm always hearing good things tho so I'm curious--I hear they do florals really really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sort of watery florals but not as light as some of the Jo Malone stuff. Stella can get a little heady from the powderiness which is why I can't seem to devote wholeheartedly to it. Still, try some samples and see if there's one that fits. :D

      Delete
  5. Stella and Cleopatra were two of my favorite scents from Tocca that I've sampled - I never go for the matching lotions, though, I doubt the quality. But the packaging of this one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that maybe I can enjoy this hand cream more in the summer when the citrus notes feel clean and my hands need less hydration. Hopefully this is the last pretty packaging that sucks me into a spiral of regret!

      Delete
  6. The packaging is something to behold - I'd love this lying on my bedside table just as a designer accessory! I'm like you when it comes to formula though. My skin is so dry I really need the thicker, more emollient stuff and that's why L'Occitane's shea butter hand cream remains my HG :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the giant size of the L'Occitane shea butter hand cream and I think that's going to be my steady companion this winter. :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous packaging indeed! I do think you have to approach lotions/creams of perfumes as more of a scented experience than a moisturizing experience, though I do find Pacifica's body butters to be extremely moisturizing as well as fragrant (but then again, Pacifica is a bath and body company as well as [sort of] perfumery, so that is to be expected). You could always slather on some real hand cream and then add this on top for pretty smell! Though I'm sorry the scent isn't particularly "you".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that I'd like this one much better in the summer time when my hands don't need to be completely coated in grease all the time and when citrus notes are extra appealing in the heat. In the meanwhile I'll just rest it on the vanity and stare at it for fun. :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like something I would look into during the summer (like the Lollia hand creams, which are beautiful in the scents and the packaging as well -- and are available at Anthropologie, too! -- but don't hydrate nearly as much as I want it to). I tried it when I was at Anthropologie last month, and was also tempted to buy it, except then I realized I have like, 15 tubes of hand cream at home. In the winter, I need my L'Occitane! I do also love Crabtree & Evelyn's hand creams, which lie somewhere in between the Lollia/Tocca and the L'Occitane in terms of hydration, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I was wondering how many hand creams you have actually. I can't pass by Crabtree & Evelyn without thinking of you now. :D

      I gave in and bought a giant tube of the L'Occitane at 15% off. While it's nice, I think I still prefer a really thick and greasy body butter to it, which sounds ridiculous but I can't deny it. Argh - why can't the nice pretty products just love me?!?

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Commenting is open to any registered user.

In order to reduce spam, comments containing self-promotional links and URLs will not be approved. Also, comments for posts older than 10 days are moderated and will not appear on the page until they have been approved.