Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 Empties Part 10

Last empties of 2012!


Empties

Pond's Cleansing and Makeup Removing Towelettes* - I was surprised by how much I liked this. I stopped buying overpriced wet wipes geared for makeup removal and have been relying on baby wipes instead. This one has a strong floral/soapy smell and is super wet. Perhaps because of the extra wetness, two sheets used front and back removed 99% of makeup and exfoliated my face nicely with its textured finish. Pond's is pretty cheap so I may come back to this at some point. I was sent this product in early December and blazed through it due to long days and much laziness.

MaskerAide Hydrating Facial Sheet Mask - My first blogger friend Toya of Beauty Obsessed sent me this along with a lovely Xmas card, and I slapped it on that very same night after removing makeup with the Pond's wipes noted above. I've been wiping my face and just going to bed for the past month, so either my face wasn't used to good treatments anymore or the mask was just too rich for my stupid skin. I broke out a little the next morning and sadly can't say whether it was me or the mask.

LUSH Magic Mushroom - Ashley of Makeup Kismet gave me this back in March and I was saving it because it's so darn cute. One night I really needed a bath, didn't have the strength for a shower, and just tossed it into the tub. It turned the water red due to the red mushroom cap and looked a little disturbing, as if I had slowly bled to death in the water. I love the concept of LUSH products but find that they don't always execute to my liking in the end.



mereadesso Beautiful Body Balm* (Travel Size) - The full size will set you back CAD$54 according to the product website. While I loved receiving samples of an unknown new luxe brand, I didn't love the balm to the point that it made me want to purchase it or do an individual review on it. It's a lotion in texture rather than a balm and smells fresh and citrusy with notes of herbs in the background. Not bad but nothing to rave about. I used it as a hand lotion because the sample size was handy to tote around.

Vichy Idealia Smoothing and Illuminating Cream (Sample) - It plumped up my face and gave it a nice, soft, luminous look and feel in the morning. Enough to make me feel positively about testing out a bigger size, but not enough to make me want to buy the full size at regular price.

L'Occitane Angelica Hydration Cream (Sample) - I can barely remember the effect of this cream. It wasn't bad and it wasn't spectacular. Kind of like the Vichy above except less memorable. Will not purchase.

Borghese Tono Body Lotion (Travel Size) - Reviewed here. I actually went to Sears to look this up and they didn't have the body moisturizers - just the scrubs. Then I found the moisturizers at Winners! They were marked down to $24.99 and I really wanted the body cream but was holding the Guerlain Terre Indigo palette and pretty makeup won. I also have a lot of body moisturizers stocked up and really couldn't justify another, even though I could justify yet another shadow palette. Dammit, life is tough, first world problems, etc, etc.


EOS Lip Balm Smooth Spheres - One year and one month ago, I pulled a Boromir and kept this lip balm for myself instead of gifting it as I should have to an adolescent girl. The flavour was Passion Fruit, not that it really mattered because the scent was very light and I never noticed it at all. To do penance for my sin, I used up this sucker almost every day. Then I grew to like it because it was the least stickiest of lip balms and made for a nice prepping material before slapping lipstick on top of dry lips. I'm not sure that I'd repurchase but I don't want to say no either. Let's leave it at maybe but don't call me.

Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment (Mini) - Reviewed here. I like the balm but they really need to work on making the packaging better. It looks nice and seems perfect but the balm is so soft and skinny that it gets knocked off and battered to the point that I got really annoyed with it and don't even want to look at the full sizes anymore. It's debatable whether I'd spring for the regular ones at regular prices. Maybe with a coupon or a gift card. Maybe. Really don't call me.


REN Resurfacing AHA Concentrate - Reviewed here. I used a Sephora coupon to repurchase it. Love!

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarine-Basilic - MY FIRST EVER PERFUME FINISH. It took 3-4 years. I used it like a fiend almost exclusively during summer months. And because I was down to the last 1/5 of the bottle and missed summer a lot in the fall, I kept on using it. I'd spray it at night to remind myself of sunny days filled with scents of basil and warm citrus. Despite being a light, refreshing sort of scent, something warm at the base really gels with my body chemistry and keeps it from being too light and flyaway. To me, it's more orange and warm, not green and leafy. I already repurchased it using the Sephora VIB 20% deal last month.

Unknown perfume in Sephora Atomizer - I cannot remember what was in it. The scent tickles my nose and it's driving me nuts. I had this in my desk at the office and thought the atomizer was broken. But it turned out that I had emptied it long ago. I'm going insane. Soon I'll be able to take a leave of absence after pleading insanity!


Tosses

To properly ring in the new year, I decided that some more old stuff had to go. I was nearly finished with the Lancome and Sephora lip glosses, but they are now going on 4-6 years in age and I feel gross looking at them. Gone.

Lancome Hypnose Star Mascara (Sample)* - I love this mascara. And I never have to buy it because somehow I ended up with like four samples.

Tarte Lock & Roll Creaseless Eye Shadow Duo - One side is a liquid cream and the other is a loose shadow. Both are pretty shades of rose gold that I found too shimmery when I first bought it years ago. The liquid side has dried up and I have no use for a half-finished thing that I never reach for. Also, it's so old that Tarte no longer makes this. Wah wah.


Tarte 24.7 Natural Lip Sheers in Wednesday and Sunday - Also really old Tarte stuff that are no longer made. I loved Wednesday but was shy of wearing colours back then. The fool I was! Sunday was basically nude and I was all over it. There's plenty of product left in both but they are old and I need to move on with new loves. Also, they weren't as moisturizing as they claimed to have been.

Not pictured: Third finished French Baguette 3-Wick Candle - reviewed here. The love is going strong. I have three more left!



Today's Total:
Jumbo - 0
Regular - 6
Travel/Samples - 7
Tosses - 5

2012 GRAND TOTAL:
Jumbo - 6
Regular - 87
Travel/Samples - 40
Tosses - 21

The Math:
1 Jumbo = 2 Regulars
5 Travel/Samples = 1 Regular

That's 107 products finished this year. INSAAAAANE. Why do we need so much stuff again? I really really want to give a concrete answer to this before this blog retires some day.

Onwards, to 2013!

*Products sent by PR/company for review. 

40 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I have no desire to count up all the things, but 107 doesn't sound so bad! I hate showering in the winter because afterward there's all the MOISTURIZING. It takes forever! But then dry sky is painful, not just aesthetically unpleasing, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been bad and skipping moisturizing - but I have SO MANY lotions and creams. Mine isn't painful though. :(

      Delete
  2. YAY FOR 107 EMPTIES! And happy new year! I hear you about that Hypnose mascara and how we'll never have to purchase it. Comes with every friggin GWP! No complaints though ;). And congrats on the first empty perfume! Kicking off 2013 with a bang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year, Soha! :)

      I don't buy any Lancome lately but people keep giving me mascara samples lately. WON'T COMPLAIN. :D Thanks and see you soon I hope!

      Delete
  3. fantastic job on all the products!! seems like everyone is getting in the last empties bf 2013!!! inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yours is amazingly inspiring as well! :)

      Delete
  4. I love seeing people's empties because I rarely see any of my own. This post has motivated me to work on that. 107 empties is an awesome feat, to be honest. Here's to even more empties in 2013! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lola! :) It wasn't easy to start but a habit worth grooming. I hate waste and we should get our money's worth out of the products we go to such lengths to procure, right? Good luck to you!

      Delete
  5. Note to self: no red coloured bath bombs no matter how good they smell or how cute they look. No one wants to bathe in mushroom blood!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Have you tried it? I do so love it in the mushroom form though. :>

      Delete
  6. Nice :) are you throwing away the beautiful perfume bottle? It looks too pretty for the bin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I actually haven't been able to toss the bottle. Not sure what I could do with it so it may head to trash bin eventually, but for the moment, it's here. :)

      Delete
  7. I never get around to doing an empties post because I always forget to keep the empty bottles. Would be good to know how many products I actually went though this year as well and how much money I actually spent on them.
    Great post - <3 from a brand new follower!
    Happy new year btw :-) hope you have a fabulous 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Billi, and happy new year!

      I keep a regular "empties bag" - otherwise, the posts would never happen! I'm afraid to calculate the money and won't be doing that, but I do want to maybe keep track of how much actual makeup I use up. Good luck to you if you decide to join in on the empties game. :)

      Delete
  8. 107! That's an amazing empties count!
    Again, you should get paid by companies to write descriptions of their perfumes. Just saying. I need to check out that Guerlain perfume now.
    And happy new year! Looking forward to more Twitter conversations and empties posts in 2013 :>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, shucks. I feel so underqualified to discuss perfumes but you're so nice. :D

      Happy new year, Angela! <3

      Delete
  9. 107?!? Wow, that is commitment right there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to start but pretty easy once you get going. :)

      Delete
  10. Way to go! 107 is an awesome total, Liz!

    :) Cannot wait to see what you have in store for us in 2013. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arianne! :) I also can't wait to see what's coming up on Glitter Geek!

      Delete
  11. Hot damn, 107 empties!?!?! I can't even fathom that. I admire so much, Liz! Need to get on that empties post I've been saving up for STAT. Happy New Year! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, the results of the daily toil, lol. It's easy as long as you make up your mind to start. Good luck, Maggie, and happy new year!

      Delete
  12. I've been asking that same question lately too. 107 is a lot of finished stuff so yay Liz!
    Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy! I'm proud to have finished a lot of things, but I know that often I finished just for the sake of finishing because I had made foolish purchases. Those are what I want to work on next year!

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on sticking with your empties project. Huge high fives for finishing the fragrance. 107 is a great number; I don't think that's too many. You've got to remember that several of those items were obtained through PR sources and some were repurchases. Have you figured out how many of the 107 are worthy of repurchase?

    It took a while, but I completed my final tally and used your jumbo/sample:regular size conversion. From June 1 - December 31/12, I finished 85.6 products! THAT is insane. Most is skin care, a lot were samples, and a great many were from beauty boxes. I found a handful of items I would repurchase, and learned that I actually prefer the skin care routine I had at the outset with the addition of a couple items. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm not worried about the money that went to 107 products. It's just sometimes I worked to empty out subpar things that I shouldn't have bothered with. I'd like to devote my time and energy to quality items in the future, but that might be an impossible dream. :) I haven't kept rigorous track of which are repurchases but I know what I won't be bothering with and that's what matters.

      Congrats on your final number and here's to being wiser this new year!

      Delete
  14. Think of it this way, Liz: you're doing your patriotic duty in helping our Canadian economy out! :) Obviously none of us really "needs" these things (barring a few exceptions), but at the end of the day, what's wrong with rewarding yourself for being a good person & hard-working? Life is too short, my friend -- enjoy it well for the gift it is, and stop second-guessing yourself! You totally deserve some pampering! I think your empties post are a great inspiration for us all and each entry of yours has gone a long way into make me take stock of what I have, what I may need, and what I should use!

    Happy New Year, Liz...may great health & prosperity be yours! Love you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree that I need some heavy duty pampering! :) The shock at the 107 was the reaction to the mixture of good and bad products I worked to finish. I think the number would be a lot smaller if I just stuck to the good ones and stopped experimenting so much. But that's all part of the fun, I suppose. Thanks for your words and happiest of new year to you, Eugenia! <3 <3

      Delete
  15. Wow that's quite a pile there! 107 is definitely an achievement :) Obviously we don't need all of this stuff. But if you've worked hard to earn it and it makes you happy you should begrudge yourself a treat. That's my philosophy anyway :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't disagree, but I wouldn't be me and we wouldn't have this blog if I didn't worry over these fine details. ;) Thanks for being the inspiration behind the empties, Claire! I never forget. :)

      Delete
  16. Good work!! :) I'm gonna start counting empties in 2013, and I bet I will be NOWHERE close to what you did here. Good job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a race or a competition, so no matter. :) Good luck to you and it starts with just the first one! After that, it gets addictive. :D

      Delete
  17. WHOOOOOOOOOOOO! Awesome work, Liz! I agree with you about LUSH sometimes...doesn't quite work––I don't see the appeal of any of the glittery bath bombs, because how would you clean that?!?! Ayayay. But congrats on a successful year of empties :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golden Wonder is kind of glittery but I just leave it on the skin. It's winter now so I'm mostly covered up anyway, so I don't really care about a little bit of glitter. But I've rinsed it off at other times. I'm opposed to red water in the bath though. :>

      Delete
  18. I cannot believe you actually finished one of those EOS lip balms. For serious, you're my hero.

    On that note, the full-size Fresh Sugar lip balms don't break nearly as easily as the little sample guys. But they kinda get melty in the summer.

    Also, is it weird that I finish perfume really fast? As in, a 100ml bottle every four months?

    YAYYYYYY EMPTIES!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The EOS wasn't that hard to finish but probably because I wasn't planning on it and it just sort of happened.

      A part of me likes the melty factor of Fresh on the lips but if it's going to melt in the tube, NO DEAL. I wish it wasn't so pretty to look at. :(

      How many times a day do you spray? Because I spritzed that Guerlain like a mad woman (which is 5-10x a day for me), decanted it into atomizers at least 5x, and it still took ages.

      Delete
  19. Bummer the masque didn't work out Liz, for whatever reason! I tried :)

    I have a feeling that in 2013 you are going to figure out some answers as to why oh why we need to much stuff. I can just *feel* it. Good for you tossing out old makeup and the like, I'm getting to that point myself though its soo hard because I hate waste. But there's no point keeping old crap - make way for the new! Here's to a wonderful 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not your fault - my stupid skin can't take the good stuff!

      I also hate waste but all the stuff that got tossed were at least half used or more, so I don't feel as bad as usual. Thanks and here's to a better 2013 for the both of us!

      Delete
  20. Fantastic tally Liz! My final 2012 empties post is still sitting waiting to be written - I'm always wondering the same thing: Why do we need so much stuff? Worse still: I have so much stuff and yet I always want MORE?!? Now I want to know what that's all about - or perhaps I should pay more attention to the next episode of 'Hoarders' (and I'm not entirely kidding)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I can't wait for yours. It'll be phenomenal, I'm sure.

      I've been really good about certain things but can be better about some others. I think this will be the year of cutting back on nail polish for sure!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Commenting is open to any registered user.

In order to reduce spam, comments containing self-promotional links and URLs will not be approved. Also, comments for posts older than 10 days are moderated and will not appear on the page until they have been approved.