Monday, December 31, 2012

Favourite Products of 2012

My list of favourite products aren't necessarily of new launches. They are products I personally discovered and enjoyed throughout the year. I've talked at lengths about most of them, if not devoted reviews to them.

Simple Refreshing Facial Wash Gel - Reviewed here. I love it so much that the PR sample is nearly finished merely within a few months of receiving and testing it. Definitely will repurchase.

La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo - Reviewed here. This thing saved my acne-ridden face. I was on the right track with using the Clarisonic along with the REN AHA Concentrate, but the final touch was the addition of this super gentle yet extremely effective treatment that can be used day and night to banish breakouts within half a day.

Nivea Creme - I haven't talked much about this, but I keep a tiny travel size pot of it in my daily makeup bag and use it on random dry patches on the face as well as to substitute as hand cream when I'm short on actual hand cream hand creams. I also keep a big tin of it at work to use as a cheap hand cream because I fear that the same weaselly co-workers who steal other people's lunch will probably stoop to stealing nice hand creams if given the chance. I'm about 1/3 through that tin and find that it's actually quite similar to the L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream at one tenth of the price, failing just short of the coveted dupe status only because it doesn't permeate dry skin quite as well. The look, texture and scent is nearly the same, offering a hefty coverage over rough hands and providing an effective barrier between skin and nature. It's not holy grail but just an all around awesome and useful multifunctional product to have on hand, literally.

George's Cream - Reviewed here. My parents still keep this at their store and I use it every chance I can. Would definitely purchase the second I finish using up the 100 other moisturizers at home.

J.R. Watkins Lavender Hand & Cuticle Salve - It's a recent discovery, one that I picked up on a whim. I used to hate the smell of lavender but suddenly I can't get enough of it. Out of the multitude of lavender-scented products I managed to accrue in the past two months, this one is my favourite. The salve feels like a thick, dense oil that requires one to warm the product for half a minute on skin before rubbing into skin for a soothing, therapeutic experience. It's oilier and more liquified than the Burt's Bees Cuticle Salve and ten times the size for a few more dollars. I love rubbing this over my hands and feet as the last step before falling asleep.

Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum - Reviewed here. I don't have it yet but I'll probably spring for the full bottle some day. An amazing product from an amazing (and rather underrated) brand.

SilkyGirl Magic BB Powder Foundation - Reviewed here. My sister is now hooked on this as well and we have cast aside Laura Mercier and Shiseido powder foundations in favour of this affordable Asian drugstore find. I'm nearly finished my second compact and will be relying on the one remaining backup for Summer 2013. Will definitely ask my friend in Singapore to send me more!

L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadows - See reviews of Goldmine, Bronze Divine and Black Star. I had a feeling as soon as they were launched that I was going to like them. I resisted for a long time but finally have four, including Sahara Treasure. For those confused about shade names in different countries, MAC Nunu has a fantastic chart cross-referencing all the shades which is super helpful. Click here to access.

NARS Pure Matte Lipstick in Amsterdam - Reviewed here. The day finally arrived when I stopped being afraid of full coverage lipsticks. This one is a matte, which I had also avoided in the past. While the texture and glide were smooth and wonderful in fall, I can't wear this right now as my lips are a total wreck. But I look forward to better days when I can whip this out and kick ass with my lips.

Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Empress - I was dared to trial it at Sephora and tweet a picture of me wearing it. Click here to see how that turned out. I've been in love with it ever since. If I become brave enough, I might even go for Icon, one of the most beautiful reds I ever saw. I think there's a picture of that one as well... here.

Caudalie Divine Oil - Reviewed here. An amazing product that will make you feel decadent and pampered. The scent is rather strong so it can even double as perfume.

Caudalie The des Vignes - Never gave it a proper review but I will soon, since I purchased a second bottle of it. It's one of those things that are totally under the radar and just happens to work well with my body chemistry. Even my perfume-hating mom likes it on me and a certain Tim Horton's employee went gaga over it. (Click here for a refresher.)

Bath & Body Works French Baguette Candle - Reviewed here. I have three more 3-wicks left and have been burning one all evening. Mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm.


I don't know about you, but I feel a certain amount of satisfaction from drawing up a list like this. It makes me content to have found so many great products that I can return to without stress. I also like that I've managed to branch out into uncharted territory on a personal level with makeup and colours. This foray into bolder makeup is actually taking me on quite a journey. More on that in the new year, which is only one hour away for me right now.

Previous years' favourites:

2011 Favourite Products: Skincare and Hair
2011 Favourite Products: Makeup, Nail and Perfume
2010 Favourite Products

Happy new year, everyone!

26 comments:

  1. Happy New Year :) nice list! Yay for colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant list right there, I just started using Effaclar Duo so am excited to see if it works for my skin as well. I think I want to find that Simple face wash as well, looking for a new one to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope Effaclar works for you. I was totally blown away by it. Was not expecting it to be good at all!

      Delete
  3. Happy new ear Liz, I hope it's a great one! I love the infallible eyeshadows, managed to accumulate 6!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which shades do you have? Happy new year, Gaelle!

      Delete
  4. Hurray! Happy new year, Liz! These products are so, so you ;) And I remember you discovering them, which is kind of nice...we're all on the journey! Hahahaha. Oh man. We're crazies, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the crazy is my favourite part. :D Thanks for sticking by through all the products and moaning over self-inflicted dilemmas, LOL. ;)

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Liz!!

    I'm glad to see favorities here that I recognize from the past year on Beauty Reductionista. I've also enjoyed lavender this year as well. It's so soothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are your favourite lavender-scented products? I'd love to see a post on that at Cute and Mundane! Happy new year, Dovey! :)

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Liz! May your 2013 be better than your 2012. I've picked up a mini of the Hourglass Primer based solely on your raves. Hope it works as well on me as it has on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I hope that it works out for you! Are you talking about the Veil Mineral Primer or the No. 28? They're both awesome either way but not everyone loves the Veil Mineral like I do.

      Delete
  7. YAY such awesome picks, wifey!! And I know just what you mean about lavender scents--I was never that big a fan until fairly recently. Now I really enjoy it! A lot of that is due to the Lush Dream Cream I started using a little while ago, though. It's so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Dream Cream and will not go near it now in case I fall in love, hahaha. ;) I have plenty of lavender stuff to keep me busy for a while. I don't love all of them though - some smell too floral and others too herby. Need a good balanced lavender. :)

      Delete
  8. I love reading about other people's favorites :) some great products there

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, so many lovely products! I have major lemmings for No 28 serum and the Caudalie oil and Effaclar Duo thanks to you––if Effaclar weren't 38 effing dollars here, I would have tried it long ago, but I just cringe at spending that much (even though I've spent SO MUCH MORE than that in trying other things...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, let me try to get you a sample size of Effaclar Duo. I think it's always worse when you know that it costs a lot less somewhere else... like just across the stinkin' border. :)

      Delete
  10. Liz, I just wanted you to know, I bought a French Baguette candle JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're hopelessly and totally obsessed with it and grab another half a dozen! ;D

      Delete
  11. Woo Liz!! You GO with those bold lippies - and photos to boot! I'm super-excited right now :D I'm also really pleased that you're taking some chances with makeup and liking the results, this pleases me so!

    I'm totally getting my hands on a full bottle of the No. 28 primer, it WILL be mine. I sort of want to wait on it till maybe a promo comes up because it's so pricey, but I'm not sure how my skin will handle it in the warmer months. WANT SO BAD though.

    Love reading these lists so much, but as for making them - sort of not a fan, mostly because I'm too fickle to like anything long term I think. Because otherwise, hello, lists, which I love! It just doesn't make sense... :P

    Happy New Year, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks, Toya. I know you're dying to see me with some damn colours on my face for once. ;D

      I don't think that I'll spend that much on the primer myself without some coupons or deals. It's certainly a lot more than what I'm used to spending. I've done it in the past but I'm not so bold now. As to how it might hold up in the summer, I'm fairly confident that it's going to be almost as good if not just as good. It's right up there with how much I love Veil Mineral on the t-zone. In fact, I can't choose which might be better now.

      Delete
  12. You make me want to try all these products on your list, esp the Caudalie perfume. I have a travel sized Nivea moisturizer tin in my carry on and it is great as an emergency salve for dry skin on long haul flights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have access to Caudalie? Give it a sniff and tell me what you think! :)

      Delete
  13. More Infallibles! I need MORE Infallibles!!! And now I'm stalking you on Instagram by the way cool chick!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.