Friday, December 21, 2012

Lately

I've been acting like winter was here since October. It's not snowing Toronto yet, thank goodness, but I don't deal well with cold weather, and hibernation instincts emerge full force by mid-October. November passed in a haze as I worked through two jobs and nursed fatigue at night with the following things:

2005 aperatif and blue cheese


Blue cheese is my favourite because the stinkier the cheese, the better I like it. I know men who won't kiss their wives if they have blue cheese on their breaths, so I hope my future husband is the blue cheese loving sort. I refuse to settle for a lactose-intolerant. The wine was okay. I don't like aperatifs but this one was recommended to pair with blue cheese. I pretended that it was summer time in the south of France as I inhaled them in a very klassy fashion while in bed wearing Hello Kitty PJs and fluffy socks.


Voluspa Chestnut & Vetiver Candle, DAVIDs Tea Forever Nuts loose leaf tea, J.R. Watkins Lavender Hand & Cuticle Salve, Life Brand Melatonin (Extra Strength)


These are my night time soothers. The warm, sweet and toasty candle set the mood for relaxation and I'd partake of the tea and down a melatonin for a decent night of sleep while rubbing the lavender salve on my hands and feet. I've had sleeping troubles for years and never really sought solutions beyond ear plugs and eye masks. The melatonin helps to feel refreshed and less groggy in the morning, but this dosage isn't really right for me as it would wake me up around 4-5am even if I went to sleep at midnight or 1am. I've put it aside since and just try to rely on the other things for rest.


MORE CANDLES, MORE OWLS


People are blaming me for their candle lemmings and rightly so. I love having the right candles. I still love my owls, too.


LUSH Baths


After a full day at the office and a full night of running around at the bookstore, sometimes I'm too tired to stand and take a shower. In a joint effort to finish off LUSH products at the same time, I've taken to taking baths at night. I think it's one of my favourite things to do and I should just be hanging out at a spa during every spare moment. 
 

The Lover



I'm also completely out of the loop on good new music and fall back on things from my memory. The Lover was a movie I got tricked into watching as a young girl and I remember the older girls fast-forwarding through the graphic sex scenes once they realized what they were exposing us to. Then it became hilarious because the whole thing just got ten times worse. Decades later, I was reminded of the movie for some reason and tracked it down. Then it turned out to be the soundtrack that got me. One day my brother asked me what I was listening to and when I started to detail the movie's plot, he was like, "Okaaaaaaay..." and started to walk away.  


ONE MORE DAY... ONE DAY MORE!



Les Miserables was one of those books that changed my life. I was a depressed teen, struggling to get out of bed every morning just to breathe, and reading about sufferings coupled with redemptions went a long way to restoring fighting spirits. I basically memorized the 10th Anniversary Dream Cast Concert and the songs really make me want a revolution RIGHT. NOW. I know the new movie won't compare to it in the end, but Anne Hathaway's Fantine makes me cry just from watching the trailer, so I'm looking forward to the eventual sob fest regardless. Anyway, this song has been my personal anthem every day for the past few months, and I put it on repeat at night too if I need an extra kick of heart-stirring emotions to get me through the hour.

It's the little things that get me through tough times. It's also little words of encouragement as well, and I want to thank all the kindly readers who have left helpful comments and sent emails throughout the year. I say this now in case I don't get around to writing new posts before 2012 ends. I'd like to get through a few more topics and post one last empties, but my schedule is taxing and I can't make any promises. 2013 is looking better, though I am about to mess it all up again by not being able to sit back and relax. Too much Les Mis. I can't stop seeing places where barricades should go up.

Anyway, I hope all your holiday preparations are moving ahead swimmingly! If you're going through a tough time, grab a candle and just do what you love to do best. Whatever gets you through the day, my dears. For me, it's blogging and I'm truly thankful for all the joys it brought me.

Love,
Grumpy Cat

32 comments:

  1. Aww Liz, here's looking forward to 2013!! I laughed at your blue cheese comment - I must admit I took a while to acquire the taste for it myself but now I absolutely love that smelly stuff. We love to eat with toasted fig and aniseed bread from the bakery. I'm craving it right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmm! That sounds so good. If I could, I'd always have a block in stock but it's less of a regular indulgence now. I just eat it straight because it's THAT good. :)

      Delete
  2. Haha love the cheese requirement for potential partners ;) Honestly I'm not sure how I would have reacted if my hubby had told me he was lactose intolerant. But then again he does put up with my gluten allergy! (more cake for him he says;) I'm completely with you on the bath front. Why stand exhausted in the shower when you can light candles, get some bubbles and relax in a hot bath? (Glass of wine optional...ish)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess if he was lactose, you would have said, "MORE CHEESE FOR ME!" lol

      Apparently baths are complicated and no one likes to clean the tubs before/after, but I find it totally worth it. If it weren't for the pruning, I could stay in one for HOURS.

      Delete
  3. Ms Grumpy Cat,
    Sending a lot of good vibes your way and hoping for a better year ahead. Till then, you are right, indulgence goes a long way! Bubbles, candles and cheese! Personally, I'd go with salty/smoked cheeses with loads of sweet/dry sherry :)
    PS: A little sunshine helps heaps! I also have self diagnosed Seasonal Affective Disorder: SAD! You won't need that melatonin in a few months when every thing looks bright and beautiful, including life! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Su. :) Do you have a good sherry recommendation? That's something no one drinks around here and I'm not sure that I've even seen it at the liquor stores.

      SAD is the bane of my existence and we need to move to a warmer place! Meet you in Hawaii next year? ;)

      Delete
  4. I love this time of year as you do feel you can over indulge! Plus you can wear layers to cover up any extra pounds may may carry for a bit because of it.

    Ive had depression so understand how you feel and ur writng felt like my thoughts back then.... At 28 I finally feel happy and myself again for the first year since I was probably about 20 which if I think about too much makes me sad as I now feel I havent enjoyed or embraced the best decade of my life. However I make sure I dont think about it and now just look forward to my future with my husband and a calmer decade in my 30s. It is hard to get out of a black hole - ive had those days where ive not got out of bed... Not eaten....Ive drank too much... Upset friends and family... Jheez ive done it all but I feel stronger now. It is really hard and so many people dont allow for it still or understand it.

    If you ever want to talk get in touch.

    Merry christmas and best wishes for 2013!!

    P.s. I too love the stinkiest cheeses (and food) and so does my hubby. I reckon urs will too!!!!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. :) I don't know if I'm actually depressed or not, in the clinical sense. It's something I'm working to explore in 2013. But this year has been such a struggle that the depressed feeling has become almost permanent and there are times when it needs to be expressed. I've certainly dealt with much darker moments of depression during teen and early 20s years. My recent struggles have more to do with external factors that I can't control and that's just as difficult as fighting yourself. You're right that a lot of people don't/can't understand it and I'm glad that some do and spare a moment for a virtual pat on the back. Thanks for stopping by and happy holidays to you as well! :)

      Delete
  5. lolz you're so funny and adorable, Liz :)
    i love blue cheese, too.
    they say you can't have any soft cheese when you're pregnant which makes me wonder sometimes if it is all worth not being able to eat your favorite cheese...(not to mention coffee, sushi..etc)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And alcohol!! I have no desire to go through pregnancy, even in my 30s now. @__@ I suppose all that might change once I "settle down" with a partner and all... but I'd actually like to adopt instead. For real.

      Delete
  6. That blue cheese looks mighty tasty! And Grumpy Cat's the best :) Wishing you a very happy holiday, and all the best in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wouldn't have taken you for a Grumpy Cat lover. ;) Thank you, MM, and happy holidays to you as well!

      Delete
  7. Happy holidays, Grumpy Cat :) Winter is kind of junk, but it does have its perks, like the tiny little birds that flit around in the bushes and - when we get it - snow. And the squirrels who are fatter ever time I see them. I hate the holiday prep, though. All of this stress and fuss for a holiday! The malls are insane, people can't drive, everyone's nasty and broke...bleh. We should revolt. I've been indulging in candles and exercise - that really helps. Works out the stress and makes me tired! I know you don't have time with the double shifts, but maybe later you could incorporate an exercise you like into the day. I think it does help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... antics of fat squirrels make my life.

      Well, going up and down the stairs constantly at the bookstore is certainly giving me a workout. I don't pant as much when I run to the bus stop in the mornings, lol. I've been wanting to take adult ballet lessons all year but the ones I can afford aren't available timewise and blabbity blah. What really needs to happen is that I need to do bigger things that make me happier and make some clear, long-term goals. But I keep getting sucked into doing things for everyone else and am left feeling torn and tired. 2013 is looking better though. I'm just tired right now. But thanks for listening to my constant whining. I promise to stop soon. :)

      Delete
  8. There really is nothing classier than Hello Kitty PJs and fluffy socks.

    I really hope the end to your 2012 is a good one, Liz! You really deserve a happy Christmas and New Year's, so here's hoping that you have more baths, candles, blue cheese, and wine in your very near future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I say we are never too old for Hello Kitty pajama parties involving makeup and Haagen Dazs ice cream. ;)

      Thanks, Denise! You've been a great friend and I'm so happy we (and Mary) met up! :)

      Delete
  9. Awww....hope you feel better about things in general soon. It sounds like although you are facing a tough period in your life, you know how to self-soothe and that's a positive step! Merry Xmas in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Yuming. Making the most of the little moments has become a positive habit, I think. Now on to bigger things! :)

      Delete
  10. I've been a grumpy cat too lately. Just too much stress going on in my life as well. Sigh.
    I hope things get better for you soon! It has to, right? RIGHT. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday we'll drink whisky together by a roaring fire watching LOTR as you tell me the secrets of coping with life's shit silently and elegantly. ;) I hope to stop whining soon. Thanks for all your support!

      Delete
  11. Hi beloved Liz! I'm sorry that you are in a funk-- I hope that it passes quickly. You need a break from working so mud-- I suspect a little "me" time will do wonders. Pamper yourself as much as possible!! If you need me, I'm here for you! Happy Holidays <3 Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. :) I suspect that a "little" break is arriving soon. I have all day today and tomorrow to pamper and sort out myself. Hopefully 2013 will see a more positive me. Happy holidays to you too! :)

      Delete
  12. Happy Holidays my klassy (but actually classy) friend. I love grumpy cat. He has been all over my Pinterest feed lately thanks to you, and it makes me grin. Hope 2013 is better for you, and til then you just keep enabling everyone with those candles of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to pin only the good ones... lol.

      MM, I hope you and your wigeons have a fantastic holiday season. MORE CANDLES IN 2013! :D

      Delete
  13. Lush baths are the BEST. There's no Lush in Eugene, and I can't usually justify the expense, but I am going ALL OUT on vacation with them––did Sakura in Portland, and plan to pick up a couple more tonight for the rest of my stay in California (a bath a day is reasonable, right?). And CANDLESSSSS LIZ SO MANY CANDLES I LOVE CANDLES. I'm going to order some from Candle Delirium in January (or February, depending on how long it takes me to plow through my current stash)––there are several Voluspas that sound just delightful. Have you tried Baltic Amber, and if so, what did you think? It sounds so wintry and cozy...

    I hope next year is infinitely better than this one has been, and I'm so, so glad to have gotten to know you these past several months! You're awesome, Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bath a day is awesome and necessary, I say. ;) And I ADORE Voluspa Baltic Amber. It was going to be my replacement for French Vanille Bourbon until Chestnut & Vetiver came along. It is very warm and cozy like the other scents but without any gourmand touch to it like the others. Slightly more musk but not overwhelmingly so.

      LOL I love you, Amy. :D

      Delete
  14. I continue to wish for a better 2013 for you Liz!!! You certainly deserve it. Your the kindest grumpy cat I know :)

    I saw Les Miz at the theatre when I was in my mid-teens (keeping in mind I saw The Phantom of the Opera in T.O. when I was 11......yea, my mom wanted me cultured lol), and loved it. It is heartbreaking and wonderfully melancholy and sardonic all at once. My mother and I are going to see the movie soon and I can't wait!

    Also. Blue cheese is EXCELLENT. And I've also tried taking Melatonin as I suffer sleep problems too, but it woke me up as well. I find the biggest help to me sleeping well is a super-dark room. If you don't have blackout blinds, GET THEM. Since I've moved my sleep is 10 times better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I love your mom! Mine wouldn't let me see Miss Saigon after I told her the plot. LOL

      I was weaned on the 10th Anniversary Dream Cast concert video so I was really disappointed when I actually went to the real concert. Oh well. At least Colm Wilkinson was still Valjean!

      I'm now in a much darker room than I was for most of my time in this house, which helps a lot! Still, there are nights when I toss and turn too much. I think it has more to do with shutting off the brain (or the computer long before bed). :s

      Delete
  15. UGH. Watched that video again. So epic!

    I hope I get a job soon so I can come to Toronto to visit :>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? :D

      I hope you get a job so that you can visit and make all your dreams come true. One day more! <3

      Delete
  16. I am one of the candle-obsession blamers. :) Oh Liz, you're great. :)
    Sorry for the late comment -- I have a nasty habit of reading posts on my phone, marking them as "unread" for commenting using a full-size keyboard, and then letting life get in the way of actually commenting.

    My future sister-in-law's family gave me the Voluspa Baltic Amber 3-wick candle for my birthday and I lit it today. MMMMMMMmmmm. It also passes the previously-anti-scented-candle Dude's discriminating tastes. It melts evenly and burns well. Triple (or is it quadruple) yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - there's no time line for commenting! But I do have a bad habit of forgetting to respond to late comments after going through the newer ones. :x

      I'm so glad you got Baltic Amber! It's really good and suits the masculine nose because it's warm and not fresh and girly. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY YAY!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.