Sunday, December 2, 2012

November Pickups

I admit it: I went insane this month with all the sales and deals. I might have gone insane on my own without any help, but the sales were awfully enticing, and I was in need of an awful lot of comforting. The self-pity party is expected to last all throughout winter and deeply into the spring/summer seasons as well. I can't talk about half of my troubles here but would really like to because I need an outlet of some kind. One night it may all come pouring out, I don't know. But just know that I don't say these things lightly, and I am really thankful for this blog that provides not only a distraction but sometimes just pure relief to be able to converse with like-minded people who happen to be extremely clever, funny and wonderful in their unique ways.

Enough mushy stuff. MOVING ON TO THE HAAAAAAULLLLLLLLL! (I make an exception for allowance of this twisted word when I go overboard like this.)

CANDLES

I count November and March as winter months because they are bitterly cold, which means we endure six months of winter here in Canadia. Candles light the way to relaxation and comfort. I stocked up early.

Bath & Body Works French Baguette

I burned up two 3-wicks already; repurchased FOUR more. I KNOW.

Voluspa Chestnut & Vetiver

Purchased ONE on employee discount. It's heavenly, y'all.

Paddywax Tea Leaves and Bergamot + Pine Needle and Mandarin

Again one each on employee discount...

The other side of the candle tins featuring the pics from the artist series. So cute!

I've become somewhat of a candle whisperer on Twitter. Don't know how that happened but I think it's due to the fact that I favour toasty, warm, comforting or light and fresh candles that aren't too overwhelming and generally appealing to a lot of people. The French Baguette is reviewed here. I'll get around to the others eventually... maybe. But they're all fantastic and I have to bite my hands to keep from buying backups of all of them before my gig at the second job is over. Because it makes no sense to stand all day and blow it all on candles. (Or does it??)

SEPHORA VIB SALE (20% DISCOUNT)

My lovely and wonderful Twitter/blogging wife Becca posted a roundup of her VIB purchases here, which I thought was a lot of fun. I'm so embarrassed about going off the deep end this month, but in the interest of full disclosure, here we go... *winces*

Caudalie Divine Oil

Reviewed here. Loving it!


Tarte Fantastic Foursome

The shades are Angelic (shimmering champagne), Fantastic (soft fuchsia), Magic (pink coral) and Stellar (shimmering nude). They're slightly smaller than the regular sizes but not as small as the travel sizes included in the larger Tarte kits or the mini bronzer/blush duo. As previously stated, Tarte is way overpriced in Canada but 20% off a value set makes it quite worthwhile if you're a shameless blush whore like I am.


Josie Maran Bohemian Waves Argan Hair Mist (Cheaper and larger than my holy grail Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray - let's hope it's worth the switch.)

Becca Beach Tint Duo (Traded away Fig which was too neutral if that's possible... outcome to be revealed later. Watermelon is interesting...)

Clarisonic Normal Skin Brush Head Twin-Pack (Makes sense to get it now and I do need to replace the brush head again.)


Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic (Emptied my first full perfume bottle ever! It's my summer holy grail so a repurchase was in order.)

Caudalie The des Vignes (1/3 remaining in the old bottle. Extremely affordable and just an awesome year-round scent that melds perfectly with my body chemistry.)



SPLURGES

Sephora Online was offering a pretty good sample package with a minimum purchase of CAD$50. It's one of the few times I made a purchase because of the extras that were offered.

LORAC PRO Palette (Mini eye primer reviewed here. So far I'm loving the palette and the palette craving is on the wane.)

Becca Resurfacing Primer (Cheaper than my holy grail Hourglass Veil Mineral and *almost* as good. Reviewed here.)


Deborah Lippmann Cleopatra In New York (Received 15% of purchase back in Holts giftcard. Thought it was a must-have but it's not in my opinion. Reviewed here. I gave it to Denise who said she needed it. ;-))


Chanel Ombre Contraste Notorious (I blame mostly Xiao for this but also Mimi, Sabrina, Jessica, Arianne and everybody else who contributed to this out-of-left-field fixation. Eugenia got in on it as well! Received 15% of purchase back in Holts giftcard. It was very tricky at first but I've become better at contouring the cheeks with it. Loving it as eye shadow as well!)


LUSH Jumping Juniper Shampoo Bar (Totally Dovey's fault. See her review here. I've used it only once so far and the lavender scent isn't as prominent as I'd like it to be, but I may be hooked to shampoo bars now. This is supposed to last 60 shampoos.)


LUSH Golden Wonder Bath Bomb (Honestly, I wanted to carry a cartload of it out of the store. I resisted and got just ONE.)


Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps (30% off at American Apparel. Reviewed here.)



DRUGSTORE DEALS

With my new found red lipstick obsession, I realized I needed some red lip liners. Annabelle was having a 2 for $5 deal and so obviously that couldn't be passed up. As I conquered my fear of red lips, I decided to conquer my fear of blue shadows as well. After dabbling around for a while, I settled on MUFE Aqua Shadow in 6E Matte Navy Blue. Unfortunately, it went back to the store as it wasn't the kind of blue I was looking for.


Alpen Lavender Goat Milk Soap and Lavender Goat Milk Foaming Milk Bath (Lavender isn't my favourite scent but lately it is very soothing. You can check out the foam action of the Foaming Milk Bath on my Instagram here. I figured it was better to spend $5 on a foam bath that can be used multiple times than a LUSH Bath Bomb that costs $6-7 per bomb.)


Essence I <3 Stage Eyeshadow Base (For $3, I couldn't lose even if it sucks. And it's kind of okay so far.)

Maybelline Color Tattoo in Rich Mahogany (Lovely colour. Creases badly on its own, works well over a primer.)

Maybelline Color Show Nail Lacquer in Twilight Rays (Review coming up - I prefer this to the Deborah Lippmann Cleopatra believe it or not.)


And finally...

J.R. Watkins Lavender Hand & Cuticle Salve (To complete my lavender obsession.)

Essence Renesmee Red Blush (Okay, I'm blushing because I bought a Twilight-themed item. But it's a pretty colour and was only $2.99 so shut up.)


In case you were wondering why this post is called "November Pickups" rather than "November Pickups and Deliveries", it's because the post is so long that I had to break the two components apart into separate posts. Next post will be the deliveries portion. After that we'll have one or two empties posts. Then some reviews and some rambles and thoughts and some colour themes and inspirations and then 2012 will be over.

45 comments:

  1. Hi Liz, Oh my gosh, so much to love here (+ thanks for the mentio)! You ARE a candle whisperer; I'm not on a mission to sniff both French Baguette and the Voluspa when I have a chance. The Tea tins are so cute and look like they could be repurposed. I'd love to see the LORAC palette, whenever you get the chance to write about it... and I'll have to try Aqua Allegoria again, after seeing it here for the second time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and by 'not on a mission' I mean 'on a mission' and add an 'n' to the end of mentio. (head desk)

      Delete
    2. Heehee, I got what you meant. :)

      I should try to repurpose the Paddywax tins. It didn't even occur to me! I think the bear fits the winter theme while the peacock wearing striped stockings and horsing around some bunnies is hilarious. :D

      Let me know how you like Guerlain AAMB and I'll do my best with the LORAC Palette review!

      Delete
  2. This is amazing. I think it isn't as insane as you feel, so don't worry about it. Also, I sent you a DM, but I am always here to talk to! Email, messaging, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that makes me feel much better. :) It seemed fine at the time of each purchase but adding it up made me feel like I went over the edge. Ah... the struggle continues!

      Delete
  3. I hope you feel better soon. Sometimes you need self pity time so things can start feeling better! Love the look of the tarte foursome!,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gaelle. I have to snap out of it and take a more cheerful outlook at some point but winter is a nice time to wallow.

      You're a fellow blush fiend so it makes sense for the Tarte set to appeal. ;)

      Delete
  4. that's a lot of items, hopes they all made you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, they really did. Anything that didn't is going to get returned or swapped or somehow gotten rid of. :)

      Delete
  5. amazing hauls!
    ah the never-ending enabling cycles...it is very possible i might haul some more and blame YOU in the future. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is VERY much possible! I'm so glad we found each other. This mutual enabling can go on for a very long time. ;)

      Delete
  6. YAY GOODIES! lol. I like how almost everything was blamed on someone! hehehe. bummer that rich mahogany creases on you, it doesn't really on me! I'm jealous you found notorious... and SO excited you got golden wonder! I love that thing, I would run off with a cartload of it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the blame game! Everyone really does influence everyone else. At least I'm painfully aware of who stirs what lemmings when. :)

      Were you trying to find Notorious? It might be sold out here but I can check!

      Delete
    2. I was trying to find it, but in my CRAZY shopping runs in november i was relieved I didn't find it. But i only went to a few stores and didn't call many flagship stores or even a chanel boutique... :/ I don't know, do i NEED it?

      Delete
    3. I've never tried contouring with a non-bronzer so it's all new to me as well. I'm sure you can find a similar product - or someone will come out with a dupe or something. If I end up hating mine, you're first in line to acquire it. ;)

      Delete
  7. Some really great things and getting great things at discount = winner :) love the candles. Wolf whistles at Tarte blush foursome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Su! Glad you like the candles. Love having a scentmaster validate perfume-y type purchases. :D

      Delete
  8. Drooling;D love it all! I have been looking for Rich Mahogany everywhere!?! I found barely beige and mossy green but RM is gorgeous! Hugs Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was ONE Rich Mahogany left when I grabbed it and I've never seen it anywhere else since. What is up with Maybelline and their LE stuff now? As if we need more LEs to torment us. *grumble & hugs back* :>

      Delete
  9. Oh darling wifey, I have no idea how I missed your review of the Becca primer but it sounds AWESOME! I do have a deluxe sample of your fave Hourglass primer though so I will test that one first before I make any decisions. I have VERY high hopes for it though because of you, so I WILL blame you fully if I am dissatisfied!!! :P Ok I kid I kid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can certainly blame me if it doesn't work out, darling! But it would be awesome if Becca turned out to be the holy grail for my Becca. ;D

      Delete
  10. You have such excellent taste! I tried the Guerlain perfume because you made it sound amazing (and mandarin and basil, yum!) and it is now my favorite summertime scent as well. Favorite scent ever, also. And I am getting the Lorac Pro palette in the mail tomorrow, and very excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I think it's light but also has a warmth at the base that anchors it and keeps from being a flyaway scent. I've been spraying it at bed time to remind me of summer glory.

      Can't wait to see what you think of the palette! I'm so slow with reviews that require a lot of swatching. Don't know how you do it.

      Delete
  11. HAAAAAAAAAAUL!!!

    This post has reminded me to pick up more candles soon, lol. (LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE, YOU CANDLE WHISPERER.) I think I'm gonna get the Sparkling Icicles and Pear Cranberry Bellini... and maybe some other ones depending on whether they're on sale. Do you pass by a B&BW on the regular?

    And you know, I'm a shameless blush whore, too. Couldn't resist the Tarte gift pack, either, lol. And apparently felt the need to buy TWO MORE full-size Tarte blushes a week later. :P And now I want some Illamasqua ones. FML.

    And this post has made me super curious about Caudalie's Divine Oil and The des Vignes. Gonna check those out, too... DAMN YOU, LIZ.

    Had I known you needed some red lip liners, I would've totally given some to you. I have so many! Let me know next time!!!

    I have the Lush Godiva solid shampoo, and LOOOOVED it... and then it started to look like shit. So... I stopped using it. :P I had actually bought that lavender one and gave it away, and now I'm wondering if I should've kept it. Should I buy another one?!? My friend gets 50% off, too, so maybe I should make a little list... Also, next time we meet up, I need to give you some of my Lush bath bombs, 'cause I don't take baths anymore, LOL.

    Thanks again for the Lippmann polish! :D I LOVE IT EVEN IF YOU DON'T.

    YAAAAAAAAAY HAUL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahahahaha! Love the bookending of the HAUL ROAR OF APPROVAL. :D

      I like the Sparkling Icicles one a lot but thought it was slightly too sugary for my liking - but I just said sugary and of course that means you'll like it! CANDLE WHORE!!! LOL There's a B&BW at First Canadian Place near work but they're so poorly stocked sometimes despite the 100 sales associates who are always so eager to "help." HOW MANY SHOULD I GET FOR YOU??? ;)

      A lot of the Illamasqua blushes are now sold out at the Eaton Centre! I was kind of horrified but relieved at the same time. They'll always be there from now on, taunting us, ya know?

      Jumping Juniper was recommended to me by the LUSH SA when I said I wanted something very gentle for my dry winter scalp. She steered me away from the Seanik even though I really wanted to try that one as well. 50% discount is pretty awesome! Yes, make a list... ;)

      Delete
  12. That tea leaves candle looks so good! I'm a sucker for bergamont.
    And Liz, I like you a lot, but I'm really judging you for the Twilight x Essence purchase ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVVVVVEE bergamot in Earl Grey tea and have been looking everywhere for a similar scent. This one is very subtle but very nice. :)

      *hangs head re: Twilight* I know, I deserve that! LOL! <3

      Delete
  13. Liz, I don't know why but it looks like you've removed half of the images from this post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixing that RIGHT NOW. I was an idiot and moved around pictures from albums that Blogger was linking from. >:[

      Delete
    2. Yay! I can see them all now! That's my good deed for the week done ;)

      Delete
  14. SO MUCH STOOOFFS! ME GUSTA~ Still need to get the french baguette candle..or at least go get a whiff of it at B&BW. Would love to see review/swatches of that tarte blush set! :D Happy hauling~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a new word: STOOOFFS! lol

      I hope to review them soon as well! Time isn't my friend this month but I don't want to neglect the blog. :)

      Delete
  15. Oh man. Now that Becca is at Sephora I really, really want to pick that primer up for myself. *DROOL*. So many pretties this month, Liz! I love the Twilight blush especially ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out, LOL! *embarrassed* *but not really* ;)

      I've gotten over the Becca lust after visiting the counter about 8 times. It's permanent and there's no rush. :)

      Delete
  16. Woo-hoo....I'm so far behind in my blog catch-up and trying to organize my thoughts for this epic haul isn't exactly happening right now! First of all, thanks for the mention (although to be fair, did you think that with my over 25 year passion for Chanel, that I could in any way pass up on getting Notorious?!) I don't have a ton of candles, which is weird because I love them; maybe because the ones I want are ridiculously expensive and right now, I can't see myself justifying the splurge, but.... I'll probably cave soon, lol! I don't have much from Lush, nor have I tried much from the brand - Lemony Flutter being the exception as it's a total must-have for me. The problem is that every time I walk into a Lush store, I found the scents overpowering and get an instant migraine - making any stops there lightning fast at best. Same thing happens to me when I pass the fragrance counters of department stores, Holt's being the exception to that; I believe it's because the more mass-produced lines of fragrance are just chock-full of synthetic compounds whereas the more unique boutique brands really do include more volatile & true essential oils. Listen to me - I sound like such an elitist, lol!
    I've yet to tray anything from Tarte as well, although those blushes look super cute! And to the Twilight product? Don't feel bad, Liz; I bought all 4 of the nail polishes (and have yet to even crack them open) and I love watching the movies. Yes, I like Twilight. LOL!
    PS: I'm still thinking of getting Cleopatra in New York, only because I love the look of it, but with so many new collections & items about to be launched our way, I'm undecided....we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about being behind. I'm so behind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *wails*

      Haha, okay, I'll stop. :)

      I am SO glad you got Notorious and obviously it's well worth it based on your continual daily usage posts on Instagram! Also: it's just special in so many ways. I would have been devastated if you had missed out.

      Re: LUSH, I had the exact same dilemma for years and years. But experiencing the joys of it via gifts by others had me marching in there on a regular basis, sniffing and testing things out as I would in Sephora! Someone needs to send you a bath bomb!!! :D

      I can't wait to see your Twilight nail swatches that will have even the most staunch anti-Twi person drooling in envy. >;D

      Delete
  17. You are making it very easy for me to live vicariously through you right now, so THANK YOU! I'm so excited for all your purchases, I think they were (almost) entirely justified :P Sometimes you just need to go a little crazy! And FYI - all the Twitter talk about the French Baguette candle had me pick one up yesterday, so far I'm diggin' it a whole lot! So thank you for that too, Liz :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ almost - lend me some of that superhuman strength!

      I'm so glad you like French Baguette. So far it's 10:10. :DDD

      Delete
  18. Late, I know, but I just came in to say, WHAT A HAUL. I'm really looking forward to your take on some of these. Very jealous you were able to get your Notorious at 15% by the way :x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very late response - sorry!

      Hey, at least you got a Notorious now before it gets inflated 15%. Does this help ease the pain? ;)

      Delete
  19. I WANT NOTORIOUS. And French Baguette is amazing and you are ENTIRELY TO BLAME for the candle obsession I now find myself having.

    Also, I'm selfishly so glad I'm not the only one who went shopping-crazy in November. Unlike you, I didn't even try and keep track of everything I hauled, but I suspect it was around the same amount as you did. But damnit, I regret it not! Now I really want to try a shampoo bar, but we don't have a Lush in Eugene (because we don't have ANYTHING in Eugene, because apparently the home of the biggest university in the state doesn't deserve nice things). I'm planning to stop by when I'm in Portland/LA, though, so I'll keep this one in mind! And the Twilight blush looks really pretty...why must they (being "beauty companies") do tie-ins with franchises I dislike?! Renesmee is the stupidest effing name, jeez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ACCEPT ALL BLAME, COME AT ME, SISTA.

      I need to be like you and return a few things, actually. Not a lot but just a few. When are you going to Portland/LA???

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Commenting is open to any registered user.

In order to reduce spam, comments containing self-promotional links and URLs will not be approved. Also, comments for posts older than 10 days are moderated and will not appear on the page until they have been approved.