Friday, February 1, 2013

January 2013 Pickups and Deliveries

It's that time of the month again: TIME TO PUT THE MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS. Have I gone on a bender after freeing myself from the makeup bans? Shall we examine what has happened in the past 31 days???

January felt like three months piled into one. The first few weeks of the month saw me juggling a full-time job, a part-time job, and two new night courses. How far can one Liz be stretched? Quite a bit, I discovered. Even throughout all those busy activities, I still managed to scout for deals and new releases. You know what? You just can't keep a good beauty blogger down. 

WHAT I PICKED UP

MoroccanOil Treatment (Original) - Holy grail, especially in the winter. I don't consider this a treatment for damaged hair but rather an essential step for heat-styling. The smell is tropical divine goodness that carries me away from winter's wretchedness for a few minutes. It costs about CAD$40 at various salons and I've paid full price twice in the past. This time, however, I asked the manager if they ever put it on sale and was offered a 15% discount on the spot. Because I emptied the alternative treatment that I had been using until then, this purchase is totally justified.


NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Mandchourie - I was on a fierce blue eye shadow kick earlier on in the month and wanted a palette with a matte navy blue in it. Considering that these NARS duos are CAD$39, there was no way I was going to buy them here. As things turned out, my sister ended up going to the States for a wedding. Unrelated fact: she accidentally gave away a bottle of Bailey's that I had been hoarding. Now related: as compensation, I demanded that she march to first NARS counter she sees at her destination and bring me back Mandchourie. So she did.


Bath & Body Works Body Lotions in Lemon Citron and Warm Vanilla Sugar - I swore never to get sucked back into the death cycle of hauling endless amounts of B&BW products during their holiday clearance and Buy-3-Get-3 sales. So the fact that I picked up only two lotions for $4 each is to be commended. Warm Vanilla Sugar is one of my favourite winter scents, and Lemon Citron just sounded wonderfully summery on that cold winter day.


Shiseido Camellia Compact (Limited Edition) - I swear, I was just going to ignore this until it disappeared. I was avoiding department stores like the plague, even though I was dipping into Sephora at least once a week during lunch hours. But I was at a Pharma Plus for a perfectly innocent reason one day and there it was. It beckoned and I picked up the tester and applied it on my blushless face. (I almost always wear blush. The fact that I wasn't that day was clearly a sign that this connection was meant to be.) I fell in love and that was that. Except that it wasn't, really. My transition into becoming a complete hard-ass was nearly complete. I asked a friend to get it for me using her discount and had to wait a week or more. But it was so worth it. I freaking love it.


True Grace Candles (Jasmine Tea and Moroccan Rose) - My stint at the side job didn't come without perks. I bided my time until these went down to 50% off and used the employee discount to get an additional 30% off. (So, they were like $4-5 each.) Being a total tea scent fiend at this point, I had to pick up two of the Jasmine Tea candles -- and they smell exactly like wonderfully fragrant jasmine tea. Anticipating spring's eventual arrival, I restrained myself and picked up only one Moroccan Rose.


THYMES Naia Hand Lotion - Again, as a last hurrah before ending the part-time job, I scored the $20 hand lotion for a mere $4 after all the discounts were taken. I'm saving this for my first day at a new exciting full-time job, whatever or whenever that might be. I've been on the hunt on and off for a while with disheartening results, but recently I decided to bite the bullet and consider taking a pay cut if I see a job that I really want to pursue. Life is too short to be spent miserable for years in a boring job. So, in more than one way, I can't wait to bust this out.


MAKE UP FOR EVER Powder Blush Refill in Tangerine #18 (vibrant matte orange) - I was not kidding around when I said COLOURS! The empty pan in the MUFE palette was torturing me, so I decided to fill it with an orange and complete the customized BAM! POW! COLOUR! palette. It's completely eye-searing and amazing. This item is the only thing I paid full price for this month, but at CAD$18, it's a total bargain considering the $40-60 limited edition spring blushes taunting me from every corner.


TOTAL SPENT: About $100.

Next month? I could shave the spending down to about $50. But it's not a strict rule at this point.

WHAT I RECEIVED

REN Hydra-Calm Global Protection Day Cream (x2) - I love REN, and these 100 points perk samples at Sephora were generous. So I got two.


STUFF FROM LARIE - Speaking of generous, holy cow. I sent her a candle and some tea. I got all this in return. Someone's out to snatch my reductionista title. ;-)


The result of a pretty good swap - I wanted to get rid of some things and only wanted the Chanel blush in return. (The shade is Fresque.) Something strange happened during the holiday rush and the other person's package was sent back to her, resulting in a big delay. She re-sent it, adding all the rest of it as apology for the delay, which was not her fault. I'm not complaining though!


Dr. Sponge (PR Sample) - I'm testing out this funny little product and will have the review up within the next month or so.



In general, I'd say that 2013 is off to a decent start. I feel content with what I own, and I'm happy with the things I picked up. It's my goal to continue to resist paying full price for as many items as possible. Scaling back on little splurges like Starbucks runs and magazines actually make a lot of difference, as does waiting for sales and taking advantage of discounts and points redemptions. Hell, I've even cut down on wine consumption. And have you noticed? No new nail polishes for a while. I think it was the OPI Bond Collection that did me in. After picking up four from that one, something in me went "enough" -- and I haven't looked at a bottle since.

It's February, you guys. WHAT.

41 comments:

  1. WOW you did goood this month, wifey! That Shiseido compact--ahk! The gorgeous compact alone is worth the price but the product is stunning too!! And the Moroccan Rose and Jasmine tea candles?? Mmm...I WANT! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would gladly share all of the above with you, dearest wife! I think the Shiseido Camellia compact would look so good on you. *whispers* Why don't you get it while you still can? :D

      Delete
  2. Great buys there, Liz! Shiseido blosh is gorgeous! I wish I could access BBW but I am quite content with The Body Shop (i live near an outlet store :D)
    It is always nice to see swaps and people's generosity. Gives me the warm fuzzies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Su! What's your favourite thing from B&BW? I'll be happy to send a few items your way if you like!

      Delete
    2. Aww thanks for the offer, Liz! That is sweet :) I have never tried anything from B&BW. Will surely let you know if anything really really tempts me.

      Delete
    3. I can't say that there's anything worth raving about, but now that I know your scent preferences a bit more, I can make some educated guesses. ;)

      Delete
  3. OMG I know, how is it February already? School is getting to be very difficult...I'm trying to defend at the end of the summer and all of my experiments of course aren't going well, so I'm stressing the eff out and am very unpleasant all around.

    I'm glad you liked the things! Smell reviews? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, things will get better soon. When you think about it, we only have two more months of winter. You'll have a breakthrough with your experiments soon and will be busy fending off people lining up to offer you jobs! :D

      I'm so horrible with perfume reviews lately but will try! I need to slash down on the perfume sample hoard so it might turn into a spring/summer project.

      Delete
  4. A NARS duo for a bottle of Bailey's sounds like perfectly good compensation to me!

    I'm trying to stay away from BBW lotions because I already have sooo many body products, but I'm lying in wait for a sale on their candles. Island Margarita from the new collection smells SO GOOD.

    I can't judge you for picking up Camellia because it's so beautiful AND you got it with a discount! Always love reading your posts Liz :>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Makeup >>> alcohol for many, though makeup = alcohol to me. :D

      I liked a few of the new B&BW candles but nothing really caught my fancy. But I'm also drowning in candles at the moment so it's not really a priority right now.

      *whispers* I think you need a Camellia Compact too... ;)

      Delete
  5. I have a serious hauling-body-care products problem too, but my drugs of choice are The Body Shop and Fruits and Passion Body Butters, plus now I've added those Be products at Loblaws/Superstore. I currently have seven full-size tubs/tubes/jars/bottles of lotion or body butter stashed in various drawers around the bedroom. At this rate I think I'm set until at least the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the problem is most of those bath and body shops offer deals on sets and bulk purchases, not individual bottles. So we end up hoarding and hauling dozens at once! I love Fruits & Passions as well and hope they don't go out of business. Never see anyone in their stores, sadly, but they're a little pricier and not very visible in the marketing circles.

      Delete
  6. Dear Liz, stop paying full price for MUFE! Get me next time, okay? 40% off, dude.

    Nice pickups! Those MAC Casual Colour pots are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will you please post a picture of your SUPER BRIGHT mufe palette? I want to see! And that Casual Color pot is a niiiiice extra, I love mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Emi! I will post that picture - it's coming up! :D

      Delete
  8. Nice pickups!And STOP MAKING ME WANT THAT SHSEIDO BLUSH DANG IT ALL OF YOU! HAHAHA I keep avoiding it too, but
    I think I should just give in already. Arrrghhhh blushes WHY? WHY? Like I don't have enough already!
    I got that Sponge thing too-I haven't tried it yet either. Looks so weird I agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Queen of the blush fiends, please give in and do a proper review. Many thanks in advance from your fellow blush fiends. :D

      I need to try the sponge on the face but keep forgetting about it. It's not very easy to store so it's kept out of sight and I just forget.

      Delete
  9. LOL I could hear your enthusiasm all through this post! Warm Vanilla Sugar is one of my favorite B&BW scents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good for a B&BW scent! The only other scent I used to like from there is the discontinued Honeysuckle and sometimes White Citrus.

      Delete
  10. You made your dollar stretch this month, that's for sure!
    I'm looking forward to juicy reviews in the coming weeks. The blush posts have made this lil' blush-fiend-in-training a big drooler. ��

    Thank you for the Lancôme GWP palettes and extra goodies! I immediately depotted the palettes and converted one into a mini travel palette. It can hold a MUFE-sized blush, LORAC shadow, and a mini eyeshadow pan. It's just the thing for tossing into my purse for midday touch ups. Well... That's what I'm planning on using it for. :) If you're interested, I can send you a converted palette. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that fits in a Lancome GWP pan??? Amazing! I don't de-pot so there's nothing to put in a converted palette, so that's okay. But thanks for the offer. Glad you got some use out of them! :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Liz, amazing pickups/deliveries! I always find so many things to like that I can't remember what I was going to write and have to keep scrolling up and down! Love Moroccanoil... I've been using that too to tame hair. Mandchourie is awesome, and so is BBW Warm Vanilla Sugar! The REN samples look nice too--- wish I'd seen one of those during checkout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that with a lot of other people's posts, too. :)

      The REN samples were at the location near my office - I'm not sure the same was offered online. Maybe I should have grabbed a few more, lol.

      Delete
  12. there's so much you got for the dollars' worth ^^
    i had hoped to trim down my spendings in January but to no avail :( what's worse, i couldn't bring myself to post the latest additions (be it gifts or hauls) on the blog, not ready to come out of the closet yet lol

    p.s. i picked up MoroccanOil yesterday too! can't believe how could one live without it...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! From what I could tell, most people love haul posts. The bigger the better. I often feel like a hypocrite for hauling when my blog's theme is to reduce, but I want to be more honest about my purchases and leave a thorough record of my shame. ;D

      Love MO so much! I need it as a perfume!

      Delete
  13. Great picks in Jan. I'm so inspired to look for bargains as well...I tend to just go for it even at full price which I should tweak. I mean you got a load of excellent products for just $100. Wow. And that Shiseido blush is amazeballs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to just buy everything at regular price, too. I mean, I did it when I could afford to and enjoyed it at the time, so there's no point in beating myself up over it again and again. But now that I can't afford to splurge too much, I try to be sensible and save the $$$ for more important things and spend a little like this on the odd things I enjoy.

      Is the Camellia Compact in Japan as well? I always wonder if we get the same LE releases because I know they can vary by continent.

      Delete
  14. If I lived over there, I would be rolling around in B&BW stuff, the scents you chose sound so darn good. I really want to try some of their stuff, but shipping from ebay to here is nuts. That Chanel blush looks so nice, I am really getting into them which is a bit of a worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're honestly not that big of a deal but just good bargains that can't be passed up, a la Essence. I wish they'd deliver to you guys at reasonable price!

      Chanel blushes are oddly collectable. I'm starting to worry a little myself, lol.

      Delete
  15. PLEASE send me some of that good shiz your sniffing right now Liz, I could use your makeup Zen right now! :P You had a great month, both with your savings and your pickups in general! I'm feeling a bit more calm now after my Chanel splurge (though I'm returning the quad - payoff is horrible) and I'm hoping that feeling will last a little bit. I really can't afford to go on a bender like that again! I'm glad you've found your sweet spot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ommmmmmmmmm... *shares zen* :)

      Sorry to hear about the quad - that's a shame. But good to be getting bit of change back in your pockets, I'm sure.

      Last year really taught me a lesson and I'm determined not to go over the edge again, like EVER. I feel like even this month was a bit much, but after working myself to death over the holidays, I really do deserve a bit of fun. Being extra cheap also justifies it even more. ;)

      Delete
  16. I freaking love that Camellia blush too - even just looking at it I mean! And warm vanilla sugar body lotion sounds yummmmmm.... I always feel uplifted reading these posts Liz xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so pretty! I was happy just to stare at the Camellia too until I swatched it in the store. That was my fatal mistake. ;)

      I'm going to send you a mini Warm Vanilla Sugar shower gel in that package I keep threatening you with. :)

      Delete
  17. I've realized that I can't cut down on my spending on cosmetics (I just spent $250 on MAC's Archie's Girls and Year of the Snake collections, I kid you not... and that was in the span of 10 minutes).

    I've converted to Bumble and Bumble's Hairdresser's Invisible Oil for now, but I do still like using MoroccanOil from time to time. I find that my hair can look greasy by the end of the day with MoroccanOil (I run my hands through my hair A LOT, lol).

    "The empty pan in the MUFE palette was torturing me" -- I UNDERSTAND THIS PAIN, LIZ.

    God, I love eye-searing colours. That's why my MAC PRO blush palette makes me so happy. :D

    Also, now I think I need to have a jasmine tea candle in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, your hauls are MAGNIFICENT. Can't wait to read all your reviews!

      I only wash my hair every 2-3 days and use the oil only before heat-styling. My hair isn't really the run-through-with-hands type, so it can go a long while before it gets greasy. Can't wait to cut it and use B&B Surf Spray in the summer!

      If you don't mind a slightly used candle, I'll give you one of the jasmine tea candles. :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, Liz, I will gladly take any of your gently used candles any time. ;) I AM A CANDLE WHORE.

      Delete
    3. Yes, yes, you are. I'm hauling 3 candles to our next visit exactly for that reason. LOL

      Delete
  18. Great pick ups and deliveries. Liz! Looks like you got some really good bargains. The Camellia compact looks soo pretty and the True Grace candles sound amazing! I'm really liking MaroccanOil too at the moment (also love the scent), and have also developed a liking for Chanel blush. They are oddly collectable!

    Looking forward to your post/review on the sponge thing too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think True Grace is from the UK so you have an advantage there. I don't know where else to get these now that they're gone!

      I keep forgetting about the sponge but thanks for reminding me. :D

      Delete
  19. Whoops, I'm a little late commenting on this...BUT REGARDLESS. Looks like you got some very exciting stuff in January! I'm so, so jealous of the candles––they're, like, $40 at Candle Delirium, so I will have to just imagine its delightfulness :) And Mandchourie and Camellia are both GORGEOUS, I heartily approve.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.