Wednesday, August 7, 2013

NEW from HOURGLASS! Femme Nude Lip Stylo in No. 6

The latest offering from my favourite brand Hourglass is an intriguing lineup of full coverage lip crayons called Femme Nude Lip Stylos (CAD$35). There are six shades to match every "mood", not necessarily skin tones. I'm moving into a moody, matte, mauve-violet-taupe mode for fall and naturally chose shade No. 6 to review, which is described as a "deep mauve nude."

Sorry about the fingerprints. I get super excited about these things.

The lip stylo is packaged in Hourglass's signature elegant plummy eggplant + gold casing and feels sturdy and substantial in hand.

Deborah Lippmann "Across The Universe" on nails.

As for the shade itself, I can see that it has a mauve lean and is indeed nude but don't consider this "deep" at all.


On me, the shade wears quite warm. It may show up cooler on other lips and skin tones. I have to admit that it looks much more mauve and cool on my lips than it does on my arm.


As you can see, the coverage is fully opaque and the texture very creamy. It's a more matte than than I expected but wears comfortably on my lips for about three hours without issue. I imagine that I'll need to prep the lips with some balm come fall/winter, but the issue is prevalent with me and applies to most products out there anyway.

Sorry for the lack of actual lip swatches but my mouth photographs very badly. I can tell you though that the shade completely neutralizes my natural lip colour and gives me that deadened look I usually go to extreme lengths to avoid. But when paired with black-grey smoky eyes and whisper of blush, the complete look is nothing short of phenomenal. I was never a nude lips kind of person since my makeup usually remains neutral and "safe" -- but now I want the rest of the Femme Nude Lip Stylos to see what other "moods" I can create.

Here's a comparison with another well-known lip crayon to show you more about packaging and sizing.


(As an aside, I have been loving Tarte Enchanted which was gifted by a lovely friend.)


And for colour comparison, the most "mauve" shade I could find in my much smaller collection (I've been giving things away and somehow gave away most of my neutrals (!!!)) is the recently acquired L'Oreal Colour Riche Lipstick in Mulberry 710.


Mulberry on left, No. 6 on right. And what looked cool and mauve to me solo suddenly looks super warm and neutral next to a cooler purple.


This is the kind of product that is best purchased after trying on in person, on the lips and not arms. To compensate for my lack of lip/face shots, here are some more reviews and swatches online:

Karen of Makeup & Beauty Blog has arm swatches of all six shades.

Tracy of Beauty Reflections reviews shade No. 2 with a complete FOTD.

Musings of a Muse has arm swatches of shades No. 4 and No. 5.

Vampy Varnish has lip swatches of No. 3 and No. 5.

Fab Over Forty has lip swatch of No. 3.

The Style & Beauty Doctor has arm swatches of No. 6 (looks completely different on her darker skin than on mine!)

In case it's not made abundantly clear, these lip stylos are NUDE. They're not MLBB (my lips but better) and will require the rest of the face be made up accordingly to accommodate the eradication of your natural lip colour. They are also semi-matte in finish, mimicking the appearance of skin. If you want shine, grab a lip gloss. To me, Hourglass got the nude lips thing right from all the angles. I just feel so naked while wearing it.

Available at Sephora and Hourglass.

Ingredients for No. 6: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Isopropyl Palmitate, Oleyl Alcohol, Ozokerite, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Candelilla Cera), Paraffin, Lanolin Oil, Lanolin Wax (Lanolin Cera), Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil. May Contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Mica (Ci 77019), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Yellow 5 Lake (Ci 19140), Red 7 Lake (Ci 15850), Red 22 Lake (Ci 45380), Red 28 Lake (Ci 45410), Red 6 (Ci 15850), Blue 1 Lake (Ci 42090).

Product was provided by PR/company for review.

29 comments:

  1. Hey Liz, I think there might be a bit too much beige/brown in this shade for me, but most really nude shades do require being paired right! I think Dior Incognito is the only nude shade I own for the moment, so maybe I should look into expanding my collection with one of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incognito is pretty! These seem to run warmer, but I find that No. 6 shows up cooler toned on my lips. It's kind of odd and requires some more testing.

      Delete
  2. lol at you feeling naked wearing this! Love that color and love the packaging. Now that's what I call a "crayon"! Can't wait to see these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen them at the stores yet but it should be any day now. I like that Hourglass just nails all the basics.

      Delete
  3. I really like the sounds of these, but am sure Its easy to pick the wrong shade as nudes can be so tricky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super tricky because it doesn't automatically look good and it's easy to be discouraged. I was so deflated when I put these on my lips but perked up again after I did the whole face. :)

      Delete
  4. If they are slightly matte, I may be on board. I want the shade that Tracy has. But Hourglass...I don't know. I want to love them, but I guess I'm never really that enthused, somehow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOoooo! Hourglass I LOVES them! hahahaha sorry. Everything I try is amazing. I don't think I've been disappointed yet!

      Delete
    2. @Larie - They're more than slightly matte - almost fully matte. I want to try ALLLLL the shades! You don't like the aura sheer stuff you got some time back? I love Hourglass because they have some really great basics and the quality never disappoints me.

      @Tracy - The immacualate foundation came close for me but I know it works amazingly on a lot of people. I'm still wavering on the ambient powders but it might just be a matter of sitting down under some good lighting and testing each one.

      Delete
  5. Interesting , I have not had the best luck with HG products but I really want to give these a try . must make a trip to sephora ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which Hourglass products have you tried? I started with the Veil Mineral Primer and found that the quality was just consistently amazing and base products were actually good for my face as much as skincare! These definitely require first-hand testing - hope they work out for you!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the mention Liz! <3 I want more of these too even though they are a bit drying for me.
    A lot more brown than I thought! There's a Nude Collection from L'Oreal coming up and the one called By Frieda I think you should get-it's more mauve and won't make you so dead looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying my damnest to not grab every purple, mauve, wine coloured things out there right now. :)

      No. 2 looked so pretty on you! I want to know if it'll work for me!

      Delete
  7. If No. 6 is the deepest colour, I probably wouldn't go for any of them. but it does swatch beautifully. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the shades run from lightest to deepest in number order - they all seem quite different in colour but equally pale across the board. If you ever need a full coverage nude, they'll be around. ;)

      Delete
  8. This is the kind of shade that looks ATROCIOUS on me, but every time in swatches I want to make it work - so lovely! These look effing awesome I must say, and I'm certain I'll pick one up when they're available at Sephora. Wish I could see that smoky eye look you tried out with this Liz!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise to put on lots and lots of makeup the next time we have a visit. :D

      I bet you can rock pretty much all the shades. Would be curious to know which you end up with!

      Delete
  9. Gah--I KNEW I should have chosen this shade! I either wanted to try this or the peach one but ended up with Nude Rose...which I am afraid will be too light for me now :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does nude rose = No.3? I think they're all quite pale to be honest and it's just a matter of whether you want more peach/pink/mauve, etc. This one looks super pale on the lips too but you have to just do up the eyes and rock it. ;O

      Delete
  10. I actually think this is my kind of nude! Okay Hourglass I'm falling under your spell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure somewhere on the packaging is subliminal messaging that says "GIVE US ALL YOUR MONIES."

      Delete
  11. it looks deep and not nude at all! given my skintone i mean. I just looked at the other swatches - it's completely nude on darker skintone folks. lol more lip pens! I guess i'm more interested in base products and eye products from hourglass...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's DEFINITELY nude on the lips, trust me! More nude than anything I ever put on, because I rarely do nudes. No matter what you pick though, Hourglass rarely disappoints. :)

      Delete
  12. So pretty but $35? D: not sure if want. It seems super moisturizing though, judging from the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the idea is to invest in the right nude as you would for the right red lipstick. Also, typical Hourglass. ;)

      Delete
  13. This looks a bit dark just from the swatch, but then, it might look entirely different on my lips. The packaging definitely looks the best among all lip pens out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely pale and nude on the lips! Wish I could produce better lip swatches to show you guys. I need photoshop!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.