Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Philosophy Snow Angel Body Lotion (Limited Edition)

This post features a press sample.

There's no snow here yet, thankfully, but I expect some flurries any day now. Until real snow actually falls, I find that it's tempting to romanticize it. Shall we take a little break from life's drudgery and dream a little winter escape?


"when snow sweetly falls, a snow angel is near..."


I'm always enchanted by the idea of being able to smell snow. And we must all have different ideas of it, because snow doesn't actually have a scent -- what we're sniffing during snowfall is the combination of everything else in the environment. But just as fresh rain intensifies the scent of our everyday surroundings, I think freshly fallen snow acts similarly. And seeing the whiteness blanket the world evokes ideas of cleanliness, cleansing, refreshing -- something magical and transformative. The air somehow feels more crisp, and there's a renewed freshness about the world. I feel like that's what Philosophy Snow Angel attempts to capture and recreate. Based on the writing on the front of the lotion, it's alluding to childhoods spent in snowsuits making snow angels on the ground and sledding down snow-covered hills. But personally, all this talk of snow and freshness reminds me of one of the most peaceful and touching passages in Western literature:
“A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.”
-- James Joyce, Dubliners

If there's a standout amongst the multitude of limited edition offerings from Philosophy, Snow Angel is it. It's a lovely departure from the sweet and heavy gourmand scented bath products produced at this time of year -- yes, especially from Philosophy. Picking Snow Angel instead of a cupcake scented product is kind of like stepping outside for some cold fresh air after you've eaten and drunken too much at the holiday dinner table. If you're a fan of the Grace series (Pure Grace, Amazing Grace, etc.), Snow Angel will probably appeal to you. It sits somewhere between the clean floral strain of the Graces and the almost sharp laundry scents of the CLEAN perfumes. As a lotion, it performs marvelously in the tradition of all the Philosophy Grace moisturizers, with a medium heavy weight and texture. It absorbs well into the skin and doesn't leave a greasy film. Personally, I prefer the scent in the morning as it refreshes and energizes, but it's comforting to sleep with on at night, too, after a hot bath and tucked warmly into clean pajamas and blankets. 


The Snow Angel series are exclusively available at Sephora, as a 3-in-1 shampoo/shower gel/bubble bath, the lotion, and a set of both. For more information on individual products, do check out the Philosophy website. I think that the duo in particular would make a great holiday gift for anyone at any age. Who doesn't like fresh snow?

Ingredients: aqua/water/eau, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, isocetyl stearoyl stearate, glycerin, caprylic/capric triglyceride, dimethicone, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, cetearyl glucoside, cetearyl alcohol, parfum/fragrance, stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, saccharum officinarum/sugar cane extract/extrait de canne a sucre, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, stearic acid, tocopheryl acetate, acrylates/c10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, tris(tetramethylhydroxypiperidinol) citrate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, xanthan gum, sodium hydroxide, citric acid, disodium edta, alcohol, hexylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, benzyl salicylate, butylphenyl methylpropional, hydroxycitronellal, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, linalool, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, bht.

Made in the USA. CAD$21, 210mL. Available exclusively at Sephora.

14 comments:

  1. LOOL I love how you added the cotton balls in the background.. really gives it the effect of snow. I love a good clean scent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Give this a sniff and let me know what you think. :D

      Delete
  2. This sounds amazing! Although I really do hate actual snow lol

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hate snow-shoveling and dirty slushy snow... but sweetly fallen snow is always nice.

      Delete
  3. LOOOOOL, love them cotton balls!

    This scent sounds totally up my alley. I was actually looking into the Living Grace scent, but this one sounds like a nice option for winter. If I didn't already have like, 20 body creams to use up, I would totally consider this. :P

    Also, love Dubliners. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to make use of all my resources. :>

      You'd definitely like this. And it's not going to stick around much after the holidays, although it may go on clearance... who knows!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photography <3 I have never seen or smelt snow, I feel like I am missing out? I am a big fan of sweet and gourmand fragrances at this time of the year but this sounds like a nice change from that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma! Amazing to think of places that doesn't have snow. You're definitely not missing out on the shoveling and wet pile-ups, but it's nice and cozy sometimes to snuggle up at home with hot chocolate while snow's falling outside. :)

      Delete
  5. Dammit....now you've gone and made me actually look forward to Winter *grumbles in protest*

    This sounds so pure and fun and yummy....and I even want to go and fling cotton balls around to pretend it's snowing! Smelling this baby at my first opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! *throws a snowball at you* :D

      I know you like the warm, musky scents so not sure if this is up your alley, but I think you'll know what I meant when you sniff!

      Delete
  6. Very creative photography here, Liz :-) No Philosophy here, so I'm not even gonna... sigh. The only product I've tried is the Purity cleanser, and I didn't like it. Smelled like medicine >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks!

      Purity was so great for me when I had oily skin. I bought jumbo size bottles repeatedly and everything. I wonder if it'll be different on me now.

      Delete
  7. Snow evokes images of crisp and clean to me - I'm just trying to think if I've ever actually sniffed it?! I love anything with a crisp clean scent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never smelt snow with a scent but will be sniffing a lot this year, lol!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.