Friday, March 28, 2014

All five shades of the Rimmel Stay Blushed! Liquid Cheek Tints - Swatches!

Let's roll with this Rimmel thing.

Consider this an update to the previous post on the new Rimmel Stay Blushed! Liquid Cheek Tints. That one was an in-depth review of the texture and application of the blushes, including ingredients. This is an update with swatches of all five colours and a discussion on what constitutes peach / coral / apricot / orange / etc.


These guys went on sale at Rexall for about CAD$5 each, so I couldn't resist scooping up the remaining three shades I originally rejected/missed out on. In my previous post, I talked about having trouble finding all five shades in one store, but now I see a lot of Rexall, Target and Shoppers Drug Mart locations carrying the full collection. It appears that the US and Canada have the same five shades:
  • 001 Pop of Pink
  • 002 Touch of Berry
  • 003 Peach Flush
  • 004 Sunkissed Cherry
  • 005 Apricot Glow



Swatches, in order of colour numbers 001-005, left to right:


Note the strange liquidy texture of 002 compared to the rest which are more moussey. It baffles me as well. It's thinner, so it takes a lot more layering for it to show up properly on my cheeks. Personally, I prefer the thicker mousse texture of the other four shades because of the immediate gratification, but 002 is easy to work with, too.


001 and 002 are clearly pinks, with 001 being warmer and 002 being much more blue.


003, 004 and 005 is where we get all tangled up in orange. WHAT IS ORANGE? Rimmel gave us the names of three fruit -- peach, cherry and apricot -- but depending on your browsers and computer screens, you are seeing different shades of peaches and corals, right? What's the difference between peach and apricot, anyway?


To me, 003 appears to be a warm true peach. 004 is a salmony-coral. 005 is a cooler peach with a hint of coral -- or a coral with a touch more orange. Rimmel seems to have it right for the most part, at least when it comes to what's technically peach and apricot. (See: definition of Orange and all of its nuanced variations.)

I think what everyone would most want to know are: Do they all look different on the face? Are all five worth having? No and yes. Unless you're blessed with remarkable sight, you won't notice a huge contrast in shades once these are on the cheeks. But if you're a blush fiend, a cream blush collector, a burgeoning blush fiend... Whatever, these are $5 each. "I'm training my eyes and makeupping skills," one might say. "I seek to be the overlord of ALL THINGS BLUSH," another might say.

Seriously, I'm contemplating changing the blog name to BLUSH MISTRESS. You may refer to me as Mistress Blush. Show of hands, yay or nay?

31 comments:

  1. Can I call you The Blush Overlord?

    001 and 004 will be mine! Someday . . . these still haven't shown up in around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I love you, Emi! LOL

      004 is my fave. Hope they should up there soon!

      Delete
  2. OK, I'm going shopping tomorrow to see if we're getting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you find them? They're all quite Asian-y colours so hopefully they're there. :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I really like the name! LOL
    They look delicious! I can only imagine the satisfaction and the happiness when you look at all five tubes - just like the old time when we got a new set of watercolors.
    I would like to see some crazy pink from the line in the future, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it really does remind me of a complete set of paint tubes. I so rarely collect an entire range of things now that it's a weird feeling. And yes to bolder colours!

      Delete
  4. :D:D Love them! But yeah, not a huge diff on the cheeks for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of surprised they went with three peachy shades - would have been nice if one was a red!

      Delete
  5. The difference between peaches and apricots is that apricots only taste good dried :P

    I LIKE THREE. The rest are too pink :P But yeah, I can imagine that they don't look super different on cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT. Me no love desiccated fruit.

      I want a really blue pink blush next. No more avoiding things!

      Delete
  6. Hahaha yeah I'd call you Mistress Blush. No problem!

    I like 1 and 4 the most. This line-up sorta reminds me of Clinique Cheek Pops in a sense that if you pick one out of each family, you're probably good to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks, Sunny!

      4 is my fave. I'm trying to warm up to the pinks. :) And you're so right about the Clinique - they are all very similar in tone to these guys. I can't just pick one either so I'll probably cave to all four of them when there's a good sale or GWP.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing, Mistress Blush ;) I now know I need #1. Must hunt these down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo great post you Blush Mistress! I just might pick one up and see how I like a creamy blush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good place to start! If you hate it, you can pass it to someone else or just chuck it since it doesn't cost a lot.

      Delete
  9. I'm with Emi up there, Blush Overlord has such a nice ring to it. Can't you just see that splashed across your blog banner? ;) Anyways, I am feeling this blush rainbow and I definitely have a thing for cream blushes. Added to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Blush Overlord! You bet my next blog banner will be splashed with blush reference of some sort. :D

      I feel honoured that I've managed to compel you away from your beloved Korres, if only just for a moment in imagination!

      Delete
  10. OMG Change your name! Hahahaha I LOVE Blush Mistress / Mistress Blush LOLOLOL!!!! That would be amazing haha.

    I'm really happy about this post Liz, I've been thinking about grabbing one (or a few) of these, but they all kinda looked similar in tone so I wasn't sure what I should go with. This gives me so much to work with! YOU, my friend, are awesome, and you can call yourself whatever you damn well want to ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLLLLLLL I love your reaction. >:D

      So, which shade are you going to get? I can see you rocking the pinks!

      Delete
  11. Blush Mistress indeed!!!

    Times like this I wish I wasn't on a drugstore ban because they look sooooo gooooood! So creamy and pigmented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll be around after your ban ends, so no fear. And I think you can rest easy on those gorgeous new YSLs and ignore Rimmel no problem, lol.

      Delete
  12. I want to collect them all just for the cute simple packaging :p I love the shades 003 & 005! Hmm I have never used cream blush before, do you apply them with your fingers? sponge? or what do you use that works best with cream blush?


    ♥Kay
    imladiiekay | Beauty & Lifestyle blog ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what happened to me. Originally I just picked up two shades but then they went on sale and... @___@

      I usually apply with fingers because it's the quickest and most easiest. I can blend, pat and buff in seconds. Some people like to use stippling brushes to blend out but I find most brushes to be too big for my cheeks and want to keep the blush concentrated on small areas at first. Sponges also work too, especially with a more fluid and liquidy blush.

      Btw, please don't leave your blog link in the comments. I can access your blog through your public Blogger profile.

      Delete
  13. Mistress Blush I love it!! These look really nice, normally not one for squeezy blushes/liquid formulas as I'm a cream blush or powder kinda gal, but to be a true blush fiend I have to know about these styles too so thank you =*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha, you are a true blush fiend. These could have been packaged in pots and would have been okay, but squeeze tubes are better. Think of them as low cost Becca Beach Tints. ;)

      Delete
  14. I didn't know these existed until now, but now I want them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might as well, being such a glorious makeup fiend. They won't instagram as prettily as your MACs but it is nice to see them all lined up in my stash. :D

      Delete
  15. These are so great! The price <3 i want them all!!

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.