Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Cool gadgets and revelations at the VICHY Skin Health Centre for Torontonians

VICHY Skin Health Centre is now open again at the lower level of the Toronto Eaton Centre, across from Forever 21 and MAC. If you're a frequent shopper *ahem* passerby at the Eaton Centre like I am, this will be a familiar sight. I worked and shopped in this area for 8-9 years and never once stopped for a Vichy consultation. It took an invite from their PR for me to stop by, but once I did, I wished that I had done it sooner. Here's why.
 

The health centre opened to coincide with the launch of Vichy's latest product, ProEven Night. ProEven is a North American exclusive line, created in response to consumer demand, focusing on targeting dark spots and uneven complexion. It's similar to the Asian exclusive line that focuses on brightening the skin, Bi-White. I've been curious about ProEven for a while but didn't know that it lacked a night product until now. ProEven Night is now available at pharmacies across Canada. You can't miss the giant signage and promotions at your local Shoppers Drug Mart, announcing its arrival.


The Skin Health Centre at the Eaton Centre is open to everyone and doesn't cost a thing. Its purpose is to educate people on not only Vichy products but on skin care in general, starting with determining your skin type and state, how to take care of your skin and prevent harm, and personalizing a skin care routine that is right for you. Grab a coffee from the Starbucks conveniently located right beside them and get your skin assessed! I was astounded to discover that my cheek was dehydrated.




These are the gadgets that are used to determine what type of skin you have.


First, the Sebupatch was applied to my forehead and cheek to confirm that I do indeed have normal/combination skin. (It's so funny that I'm absolutely sure and confident while blabbing about myself on the blog, but as soon as I'm asked the question by someone with more knowledge in a white lab coat, I'm like, "Uhhhh... I think I'm combination? HALP.") The Sebupatch revealed a lot of oil on my forehead and about 1/3 of that amount on my left cheek. It was nice to be told that oils are not a bad thing. In fact, I had to worry about the section that was lacking in oils. So, the Moisture Checker was used on my cheek to determine the water content and hydration level (this is where the sciency talk started to go way over my head). I scored 31% on it, which means that I was in the dehydrated zone. (Up to 29% is "normal," 30-40% is dehydrated, 40+ is severely dehydrated, etc.) Clearly I'm not beyond help and not too badly off, but it was nice to find out. And the third item, a tiny zoom camera thing (lol), revealed the shape of my skin cells and blemishes from an uncomfortably close range.


It's a bit scary to see your skin from up close like that and be told uncomfortable truths. I like to hide behind good foundations and not worry about the internal damages, relying on daily water intakes from coffee and tea and living on a steady diet of glazed donuts (mmmm...), but it's encounters like this that make you stop and think twice about how to treat yourself right. Ah, my poor skin -- I thought that I was pampering it all throughout winter with all the vigorous product testings and reviews for the blog but, in truth, I was neglecting it hideously. The fearful looking UV camera above then illuminated all my hidden flaws: sun spots, scars, all of it. (Hey, but I wore sunscreen that day and it proved it -- woohoo.) You get to keep the subsequent picture produced from that shot as a reminder, and all of the information that's provided gets emailed to you right away after the consultation. I think that's pretty cool, and how nice would it be if doctors' offices operated this way, too.


After the assessment, you'll then be introduced to a variety of Vichy products that are targeted for your skin. One of the reasons I rarely looked at Vichy in the past was due to the overwhelming number of products on their shelves. ProEven, Normaderm, Aqualia, Idealia -- where does one start? Well, come on over to the Skin Health Centre and they will tell you. I fit the profile for the ProEven line for the most part, because my breakouts are on the wane and I worry more about scarring and spots going forward. I was still recommended a mask from Normaderm to help with the odd, small breakouts that still occur, and I was also recommended Vichy's famous Eau Thermale water spray containing 8 different minerals to help tackle the dehydration. Anyone dropping by will also get to go home with a small bag of samples to test out at their leisure.


As someone who was dreadfully neglectful in science classes, looking at skin care in depth is often a daunting and intimidating task. But because I'm doing so much more of it now for the blog, I really appreciate it when friendly faces take the time to explain things to me in language that I can understand, complete with demonstrations and administrations. It's one thing to look at pamphlets and charts and another to experience how the process works, which is what I mostly focus on during skin care reviews.
 

This is beautiful Ashley who is getting married this weekend! She isn't wearing a stitch of makeup and will out-glow the sun come Saturday with her suitcases full of Vichy products. She and the rest of the Vichy team will be set up at the Eaton Centre all week until Sunday night when the mall closes.


I highly recommend that you stop by if you're in the area this week. My experience was nothing but fun and interesting, and I saw a lot of other people (non-bloggers) leave with smiles on their faces. And if you can't make it to the Eaton Centre this week, you'll find it interesting to hear that the same assessments can be made at any Shoppers Drug Mart location by a Vichy staff member, complete with the fun gadgets and everything. (Maybe not the UV camera but ask them anyway -- you never know.) I applied a little more moisturizer than usual to my cheeks last night because of this event and my face is thanking me this morning. Thanks, Vichy!

17 comments:

  1. SO COOL. I wish I could have gone to this! I'd love it. Vichy is fast becoming my favourite skincare line I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always get assessed at Shoppers. But it would be so cool if you came here one day and we can go to these things together. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun! I had a similar assessment done a while back with a Murad face scanner/machine thingy, and the light they use there shows every single freckle, age spot and hyperpigmentation patch that has/is/will ever grace your face. Scary! I was combination too - oily in the T-zone, dehydrated on the cheeks... I'm now convinced probably 80% of women are combination ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I liked Murad's anti-acne line -- really worked. And you're probably right re: combination women. I just wish I was a tad less oily on the nose, lol.

      Delete
  3. I liked the one Vichy product I tried before, but I keep trying to buy it again and it's always sold out, damnit, lol I don't think I want to see all the dirty truths T_T But I would probably do it if this were available here! Best way to address the problems, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND OMG THERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A PERIOD IN THERE SOMEWHERE.

      Delete
    2. Haha, me no judge your grammar (leaves out period)

      We were talking about how these French pharmacy brands seem to be more difficult to get in the States. They have such a huge presence in our drugstores, it's impossible to not get something.

      Delete
  4. So glad you got a skin assessment! If I never worked at SDM and Lancome, I wouldn't know nearly as much about my skin as I do now (these skintype-testing machines are probably more technologically advanced now, but the jist of it is about the same as a few years ago). I thought I was straight-up oily but like you, I have a super-oily T-zone and slightly dehydrated cheeks (as many oily-skinned people do -- we got lots of oil but not enough water in our skin). So I always use oil-free hydration products now and have noticed a huge difference in my skin. :) I used Vichy for years, and love them a lot for repairing my skin back then, which had a lot of unevenness in tone and texture and pimples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Vichy ladies were laughing when I told them that my daily water intake comes from coffee. Apparently Eau Thermale is going to save my skin. (I'm seriously looking forward to spraying it like a fiend this summer!) So far I'm not super wowed by Vichy but it could be that I haven't really been using the proper type of products for my skin. I do love that Idealia serum though. It makes the skin super glowy and plump and looks fabulous under makeup. :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds frigging awesome! I love stuff like this. They had something similar at The Bay back in the day when I worked there at the Clinique counter full-time, and it was really neat. I did a Science degree at Uni so this is right up my alley :) We need more events like this in Halifax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous of people who studied science - shoulda woulda coulda. Still can, I suppose, but it's going to take some work kicking this brain back into study mode. I'm seriously considering it lately though.

      Apparently Vichy launches an average of 10 products a year. There has got to be an event coming up in Halifax at some point!

      Delete
  6. Those skin pictures are so scary man! Talk about confronting! I had it done at a Shiseido counter once and I couldn't believe all the hidden freckles etc I had...:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, tell me about it. I refused to do the test with the UV machine when Philosophy hosted a peel party. But I really do want to improve the condition of my skin, so it's time to confront these things. Rah!

      Delete
  7. ooo i happened across this during a lunch time jaunt to eatons. it helps when its only a few blocks away from work i really want to try their proeven stuff! esp the night serum,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved those lunch time jaunts. Just go to Shoppers and ask for a sample. They have tons!

      Delete
  8. Hi Vichy, please come back to Malaysia!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.