Wednesday, March 26, 2014

NEW! Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundations and Stay Matte Primer - Review and Swatches

This post features press samples.

I suppose that I've been on a foundation quest of sorts. I'm not unhappy with the foundies currently tucked away in my stash, but I have a crazy itch to experiment and new products are never too far out of reach. Lately, drugstore brands have been flooding us with one good thing after another, and after my recent success with Rimmel's new Stay Blushed! Liquid Cheek Tints, I had to try the new Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundations.


According to Rimmel's US site, the foundation is available in 8 different shades. For some reason, here in Canada, we get only 7.


Shades available in Canada: Light Porcelain 010, Light Ivory 091, Ivory 100, True Ivory 103, Soft Beige 200, Classic Beige 201 and True Beige 203. (This is according to press release as the info on new products are not yet available on the Canadian site.)

(Out of curiosity, I also looked at the UK site. The Brits get only 5 shades: Light Ivory, Ivory, Soft Beige, Sand and Natural Beige 400. I assume Light Ivory, Ivory and Soft Beige have corresponding numbers to the US and Canadian shades with the same names. There isn't a number visibly assigned to Sand.)

I was sent four of the Canadian shades, plus the primer, for review. Today we'll be looking at Ivory 100, True Ivory 103, Soft Beige 200 and Classic Beige 201.


The primer and foundations are housed in simple plastic tubes, and given the texture of these products, it's not a bad thing. They're terribly easy to throw into a bag for lugging around on hurried mornings, and application is a breeze, too.


The foundation is straight up mousse. Above is one small squeeze dispensed directly from the tube. I'm slightly baffled and amused that Rimmel keeps needlessly throwing the word "liquid" into product names. Maybe it sounds less intimidating than just "mousse foundation" or "cream blush" --  or maybe it's a legal/technical requirement that we know nothing about. I just want to point out that you can't judge a product by its name or packaging. Whatever this is called, it's AWESOME.

Below are swatches under various lighting conditions as the foundation is blended into skin (I'm NC25-ish by MAC standards, and my paler inner arm is maybe NC15-20). Colour-wise, the first picture is the most accurate, but I also wanted to show you how the texture is when smoothed out. The mousse does look and feel thick initially, but you really need just a tiny dot, and it's not difficult to blend out seamlessly into the skin with a flat-top foundation brush, like Sonia Kashuk Tools No. 4 or Shiseido Foundation Brush.




I thought for sure that Soft Beige 200 was my match, but it turns out to be True Ivory 103 instead. There's a sizeable jump between 103 and 200, but I can easily wear 200 in the summer when I'm more tanned. Right now I'm just pastier than I thought. (It's been a long winter, y'all.)


I lost the sun by the time I applied one layer of 103 and took the "after" picture, but that doesn't stop you from seeing how awesome the coverage is, as well as how natural the finish is. (There isn't even a face/neck discrepancy!) It's definitely matte but not drying, and even without the Stay Matte Primer, the Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation keeps my nose from being shiny for THREE HOURS. That is top grades for a drugstore foundation under $10. And when I said earlier that application is a breeze, I meant it. Apply tiny dots on areas that need coverage, blend, swirl, tap with your flat-top foundation brush. Easy peasy. For a regular day out, I don't even bother with pin-point concealing.

I don't have much to say about the Stay Matte Primer even though I am a die-hard believer in the power of a good primer. These foundations are so good that a primer is hardly necessary, if you're looking to keep the shine at bay. I really like wearing 103 over a non-greasy sunscreen like Neutrogena Waterlight and keep it simple on a casual day. For a longer high-maintenance day, I'll pair 103 with the primer and not worry about gleaming on the T-zone from breakfast 'til noon. I've also paired the Stay Matte Primer with other drugstore foundations like Almay Clear Complexion Makeup and found that it kept the T-zone matte for a few hours longer than usual, which is fantastic. However, the initially thick texture of the white primer as well as its paste-like appearance may not be everyone's cup of tea. It blends out smoothly and invisibly with an immediate satiny and matte feel, but it's not the most lightweight primer I've tried. I keep it relegated to the T-zone and prefer to leave my dehydrated cheeks unmattified.

Final thought: I like these Stay Mattes ten times better than the seven times more expensive BECCA Ultimate Coverage Complexion Crème. Not only is it much cheaper, it simply looks better and performs better. Highly recommend it if you have oily/combination skin!


Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation - CAD$8.99, 30mL. Made in England.

Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dicapryl Ether, Aqua/Water/Eau, Isododecane, Talc, Trihydroxystearin, Distearimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Polyglyceryl-3, Beeswax, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Kaolin, Tribehenin, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Propylene Carbonate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Caprylyl Glycol, Polypropyelene, Phenoxyethanol, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Dimethiconol, Laureth-4, BHY, Tocopherol.

Stay Matte Primer - CAD$8.99, 30mL. Made in England.

Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Talc, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1, Dimethicone, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Propylene Glycol, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Isononyl Isononanoate, Polypropylene, Silica, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Magnesium Sulfate, BIS-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Glycerin, Laureth-7, Tribehenin, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Chlorphenesin, Tocopheryl, Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate.

26 comments:

  1. Hey Liz, I actually gave the a whirl but wasn't really impressed for one reason or another. I think the fact that I received a shade that doesn't match my skin tone has something to do with it! There really is a pretty big gap between 103 and 200! I think I fell through the crack here ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your skin is drier than mine and doesn't require this much coverage either. I feel similarly about mismatched concealers - if they're not completely precise, I can't stand them and they look downright awful.

      Delete
  2. great review! I am interested in trying these out, I think I might be 103 as well... hard to tell. For some reason 100 kinda looks darker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shades are a bit odd. I think 100 is cooler, not necessarily lighter or darker, than 103. But there's another shade lighter than that so I think that covers the fair range.

      Delete
  3. It's interesting the Brits get less color selection.
    I guess this foundation is an undated version of the line with same name. I've tried it but I couldn't find a good match although I was quite pleased with its performance, which is the usual case with Rimmel base makeup for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have more range but less selection, which is weird. (Their darkest shade is MUCH darker than our darkest.) Maybe Rimmel's slowly rolling these out a test and plan on adding more shades later?

      I do think you're much paler than I am and would have a hard time finding a match from this line. But then I don't think you need this much coverage either and would prefer something more fluid and luminous.

      Delete
  4. Glad it works well for you! I don't think any of these will match me-I have a hard time with Rimmel foundations finding a match. Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad but you also don't need this much coverage! I'd say look at their BBs but I haven't tried those as well as the fact that they probably have an even smaller shade selection.

      Delete
  5. Mousse just seems like it should be food, although I don't usually love mousses - too much fluff and sometimes oddly greasy.

    Anyway. What were we talking about? OH yes, foundation. If you're 103 then perhaps 100 would suit me, but it looks really different in tone than 103 (more ashy), so that probably won't do. I guess drugstore brands can't accommodate so many ranges (although, now that I think about it, why not?). I've never tried Rimmel before, in anything, but shade matching is so hard with drugstore stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at that picture of the droplet of mousse and want to eat it. :O

      100 is cooler, I think. L'Oreal and Revlon have really good colours but I think they're not p-free? And I've noticed that they're much better about testers at drugstores now, but the other problem seems to be the lack of decent-sized mirrors and good lighting! Wah wah.

      Delete
  6. Oooh I'm intrigued, will have to try these next time I see them on sale at the right time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooo!! i'm defs going to check this out and i'm so glad you had multpiles so we can benefit from you swatch photos. choosing a color blindly while standing in makeup section hasn't really worked out for me. it seems to smooth on quite well. (the first picture of the mousse...sort of makes me want to eat it..hmmm chocolate mousse...)
    maybe 103 will work for me... but is it yellow enough? i dont know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have pretty good testers but the lighting in stores are always crap. From what I can recall, I do think that 103 can match you. The only thing is this is quite heavy in coverage and I'm not sure your skin needs it.

      Delete
  8. I was thinking of picking this one up for spring/summer. I like their match perfection at the moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Match Perfection except for the concealers but always meant to! This would deal nicely with your redness for sure.

      Delete
  9. I can never find a good shade match from drugstore foundations... so I'm sticking to Japanese ones like Lunasol and RMK. The Lancome ones are pretty good here too, because we get those made in Japan :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you already have good foundries that work, no need to go on a useless quest, lol. Lancôme used to make my holy grail foundation (Adaptive) but they discontinued it and I used Laura Mercier for a long time after. I like these Rimmels for the matte coverage and now have the new Shu Lightbulb for the glowy days. :)

      Delete
  10. Oh man, this sounds right up my alley. I'm pretty sure there won't be a shade that's light enough for me, but I'm gonna try it anyways! Thanks for the review, Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sent the lightest shade, but that might be your match! Good luck, Amy!

      Delete
  11. Great coverage and I've never tried a mousse foundation so it fascinates me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybelline had a mousse foundation in jars once upon a time. I did like them but felt they were too heavy at the time. These feel quite a bit lighter once blended!

      Delete
  12. I know I'm commenting on such an old post but I just bought this foundation and was searching online for reviews and found yours! I'm so glad to read that this is better than the Becca foundation which I've read rave reviews about too. And while it's cheap at CAD9, it's even cheaper in the US at USD4.99 which is why I thought what the heck I'll try it and I need something super matte for Tokyo's ultra humid summer. Looking forward to trying mine (got true beige).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope it works! I ended up giving my summer shade match to a friend so I haven't used these in a while. I think they may feel heavy applied all over but not bad at all on certain areas that need the extra coverage. :)

      Delete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.